Photo
- - - - -

PFF Looks At Final Play (And Blames Norman)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#37 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Dipsht Rivera should have called a timeout. He knew Norman was out there. It's his fault just as much as Norman's.

#38 Fan01

Fan01

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

http://espn.go.com/b...game-winning-td

Here's Norman's response about the TD.  He says he never heard the call but no one believes that. He heard the call but he didn't "hear" the call.  You know when you're really concentrating on something like playing Madden (or a WR that you're playing man to man defense on) and your Mom or Wife tells you something.  You heard what they said but your mind was on Madden so you didn't really respond to her.  I believe the scientific term is brain fart. 

#39 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Eugene Robinson was calling Norman out as soon as Johnson made the catch for not listening and not making the switch.

#40 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

i think what bugs me more than that play was what happened to get to that point.

how did we get down that far? jon beason....asked to play nickel....already playing at around 60% past effectiveness and never really someone who was good in coverage.

who did the QB pick on to that point? jon beason. each of 5 passes completed to that point were thrown to people jon beason was covering. 5 in a row. does that tell you something? we screwed up putting him in that situation. yes...he should have done his job. the only problem was the job was too big for the guy. he's not a DB. he's not healthy. he's done poorly since coming back...so we ask him to cover a WR.

why did we have jon beason playing the nickel? because we were beat up what choice did we have? 

well...the choice we had was not putting them in that situation in the first place. keep the other team off the field.

as ineffective as the offense may have seemed, the secondary was in worse shape.

it's stupid to rely on your weakest element, worse than that, put them into a situation where you KNOW you are going to be putting their backs up against the wall. it's just dumb.

and then you take into consideration your usual effectiveness in getting one yard in 3rd and fourth downs.

your choice is this...rely on one of your greatest strengths or one of your greatest weaknesses, made even weaker by injuries.

it's just dumb.

i have a couple questions about that drive the bills had down the field. why didn't rivera notice that beason was getting abused? why didn't he call a time out when it was evident? why didn't one of his assistants tell him? why didn't they change up what they were doing offensively?

on that last play, why didn't the defense call a time out? why didn't rivera? (if it was because he couldn't tell from his vantage point, why wasn't he in a better one?) why didn't mcdermott get in rivera's ear about it?

it's just too much crap on that drive that could have been avoided if they hadn't given up on their own drive downfield.

#41 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

I think that was yet another coaching mistake.  It was super obvious that A) Beason was playing badly, probably due to his previous injuries and B ) The Bills were taking advantage of it and picking on him in coverage...

So, what should the coach do?  Hmmm... maybe... idk, put someone else in there?  Klein?  Blackburn?  Anyone???

#42 Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler

Cinderella story

HUDDLER

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

Norman played more this preseason than anyone else on the team. No excuse for him not to be ready. I honestly don't know why he's still on the team. If Rivera really wanted to save his job he would have cut him. I can think of 3 losses in the last two years that was his fault just off the top of my head. This bills game, last year against the falcons and bears and I'm sure there were more.

Hater Alert

You misspelled "Nakamura" re: the Falcons game, and the Bears game was all on Rivera. This one you can make a case. But the other two; not so much.

#43 Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler

Cinderella story

HUDDLER

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

If there was any doubt left, Rivera proved to the world against the Bills in the fourth quarter that he has no business coaching an NFL team. I'm not so sure McDermott and Shula are much more qualified either. This is easily the 2nd-worst staff we've ever had and possibly the worst.