458 replies to this topic

#301 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

You Paid A Dollar For This?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,536 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:40 AM

When Armando Salguero of the Miami Heraldvisited PFT Live on Tuesday and we discussed the possibility that Dolphins guard Richie Incognito’s treatment of tackle Jonathan Martin came at the behest of a coaching staffhoping to make Martin tougher, Salguero predicted that, if that ends up being the case, a lot of people will be fired.

A lot of people apparently will be fired.

According to Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Dolphins coaches asked Incognito “to toughen up” Martin after he missed a voluntary workout during the 2013 offseason.  Kelly cites “at least two” unnamed sources.

Per the unnamed sources, Incognito may have taken his orders too far.  Specifically, the sources tell Kelly that the racially-charged voice message from Incognito to Martin came after skipped two days of the team’s voluntary OTA program.

“Incognito was encouraged by his coaches to make a call that would ‘get [Martin] into the fold,’” Kelly reports.

http://profootballta...ghen-up-martin/

*shakes head*

#302 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 9,046 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

Just when you thought the drama was over.

#303 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

jesus christ the dolphins are stupid

#304 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 40,320 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:04 AM

And now the fecal matter really hits the turbine :unsure:

If Jeff Ireland survives this, I'll be shocked,

As if "hey Dez, is your mama a *****" wasn't bad enough, now this.

#305 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

To me this is a case of a normal personality clashing with the NFL culture. Jonathan Martin handled this the way most sane human beings would. Then you get all these meat heads saying they would have solved it with their fists and Martin is to blame.

#306 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

And here comes the boom:

http://profootballta...martin/related/

When Armando Salguero of the Miami Heraldvisited PFT Live on Tuesday and we discussed the possibility that Dolphins guard Richie Incognito’s treatment of tackle Jonathan Martin came at the behest of a coaching staffhoping to make Martin tougher, Salguero predicted that, if that ends up being the case, a lot of people will be fired.

A lot of people apparently will be fired.

According to Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Dolphins coaches asked Incognito “to toughen up” Martin after he missed a voluntary workout during the 2013 offseason.  Kelly cites “at least two” unnamed sources.

Ha busted.

#307 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

If these current allegations are true, the coaches involved will definitely go down with this sinking ship. They cannot give Incognito those kind of instructions, but plead innocence after discovering he went too far.

In addition, these allegations could explain why Martin felt he could not speak with his coaches about this situation. If Martin believed they would not listen, an order from his bosses to toughen him up would prove those beliefs.

Incognito is out of the door, but it appears he is not going down alone

#308 PntherPryd

PntherPryd

Relic

• Moderators
  • 1,999 posts
  • LocationWilmington

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if already posted but fascinating take from Ricky Williams defending Incognito;

http://www.nfl.com/n...t-belong-in-nfl

"How is bullying something that's even mentioned regarding the NFL?" Williams wondered. "Because that's kind of what we're taught to do -- at least on the field -- is to bully the guy across from us so we can win the football game.

"It's kind of what we're subjected to on a day-to-day basis that most people will never be able to understand. ... What we're required to do physically, mentally and emotionally for the course of a season is astronomical -- it's amazing," Williams added. "And I'm not saying that it's bad. I'm saying it just really speaks to what it takes to be a professional football player. And to me there's no room to play the victim or to be bullied or to even have that discussion when it comes to the NFL. If you're having that discussion, it just means that maybe you don't belong in the NFL."

#309 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

If all or even a little bit of this is true, there is no way Incognito can justify it or defend it. This guy has a long history of inappropriate behavior close to criminal going all the way back to college. I think the NFL would be better off without him.

I would be fairly certain, he has played his last game as a Dolphin, and please tell me what team would want to sign him after this. Also I understand it may not stop there and Martin would be well within his rights to bring a civil suit against Incognito and the Dolphins, just like anyone else harassed in the workplace. Also, I gotta add that Incognito leaving messages on tis guy's phone really just shows how stupid Incognito is. A violent, racist, woman beater who harasses his own teammates, hard to get much lower than that. If it's true then he deserves the worst.

#310 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,967 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

This is a case where we have to step back and look at Martin as a human and not an NFL player.  Look at it like he was at a job and went through all this.  As if his coworkers were hazzing him, sending him those text messages and phone calls, and all of that.  In this scenario, it's terrible and shouldn't have happened.   So Ricky Williams got a nick name, that's not a big deal, IMO his comments mean nothing unless he says he was getting text messages with racist names and all of this other stuff Martin went through.   This goes above simple jest, or clowning around, or telling someone to step up on the field.  

So yeah you bully the team you are playing that week, but after the game it's done.  That is a lot different than a 24/7 hazzing.   If the team condoned it, that is even worse.  Everyone has a breaking point.

#311 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

This is gonna be some Code Red poo, which I laughingly joked about with my friend the other day. Im shocked. . but not so shocked. Coaches are meatheads too sometimes. Look at Schiano, lol.

#312 beckersteen

beckersteen

Nihilum

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • LocationConcord

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

im so tired of hearing about this

#313 thunderraiden

thunderraiden

Thunder God Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

Turns out Dolphins players considered Incognito black and Martin was considered a white boy because of his upbringing.http://nfl.si.com/20...onathan-martin/

#314 SteveSmithOwns

SteveSmithOwns

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

This is pretty awesome:

Colonel Joseph R. Philbin, Commanding Officer, National Football League, Miami, Florida.

Have you ever spent time on a football team, son? Ever served on an offensive line?

Ever put your block in another lineman's hands, ask him to put his block in yours? We run plays, son. We run plays or people get sacked.

Son, we live in a world that has offensive lines, and those lines have to be filled by 350-pound men with helmets. Who's gonna do it? You?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Martin, and you curse the Dolphins' o-line. You have that luxury.

You have the luxury of not knowing what coaches know. That Martin's departure, while tragic, probably saved Ryan Tannehill's life.

Adam Jacobi ‏@Adam_Jacobi

And Richie Incognito's existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves quarterbacks' lives.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about on Twitter, you want him on that line. YOU NEED HIM ON THAT LINE.

We use words like shiver, rip technique, smash. We use those words as a backbone of a life spent defending quarterbacks.

You use them as a comment on Pro Football Talk.

I have neither the TIME nor the INCLINATION to EXPLAIN MYSELF to a man who rises and sleeps under the fandom of the very team I coach...

...and then bitches on Twitter about the way I provide it.

I would rather you just said "thank you" and bought a season ticket.

Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a helmet, and stand at left tackle.

Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you football fans think you're entitled to.

*Did you order the code red?* YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT I DID! - Joe Philbin

#315 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Bullies are like a cancer - they can only survive in an acidic, weak environment. Do you think if Bill Parcells or Jimmie Johnson or Mike Ditka were the coach that Incognito would still be there? No way! The coaches from the top down allowed that cancer to fester KNOWING it manifested back in Nebraska. No one held a gun to Incognito's head and forced him to do what he did - he made the choice on his own because he knew he could get away with it. Nothing Martin could have done would have stopped it because Miami leadership was weak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com