Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Jeremy Igo

Quarterback Possibilities for the Carolina Panthers

To all the weekend orthopedic surgeons on here chiming in and sharing expertise--understand this--his shoulder is diminished every time a surgeon has to go into it.  Scar tissue, arthritis, and the fact that no human can repair damaged tissue and not all healing returns a damaged joint to original form.

I heard that from an orthopedic surgeon after my second surgery, explaining to me why I was done.  And it was not my throwing arm--I was a Tight End.

All those cheap shots, dropping his shoulder to get a first down, stretching out the ball when diving for a TD---it all chips away.

So we cross our fingers, hope for a miraculous result, and plan for the worst.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, MHS831 said:

To all the weekend orthopedic surgeons on here chiming in and sharing expertise--understand this--his shoulder is diminished every time a surgeon has to go into it.  Scar tissue, arthritis, and the fact that no human can repair damaged tissue and not all healing returns a damaged joint to original form.

I heard that from an orthopedic surgeon after my second surgery, explaining to me why I was done.  And it was not my throwing arm--I was a Tight End.

All those cheap shots, dropping his shoulder to get a first down, stretching out the ball when diving for a TD---it all chips away.

I would still go the FA route. Cam is the QB of the Panthers. But, shoulder surgery is not good for QBs and violin players.

I like Will Grier, his accuracy far outweighs any arm strength questions, being a hometown kid is a plus. However, the offensive line needs to be in tip top shape before spending a top pick on a QB or else it’s going to be more of the same. I feel like those first four rounds needs to be offensive line and defensive line picks unless someone drops who is too good to pass up.

I’m fine with rolling with Allen, and bringing in someone like McCown to tutor him and hold the iPad. I’m also not against drafting someone like Minshew in the 6th and rolling with three QB’s as we have been going through QB’s like crazy over the past year.

2 hours ago, Malt Liquor said:

If we don't address the O line it doesn't matter who is back there at QB. 

We had one of the better lines 

On 1/4/2019 at 8:11 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

A guy like WVU's Will Grier is projected anywhere from rounds 2-4. If he is there in 3 or 4 for the Panthers I would like to see him taken. Local kid with plenty of up side. Good value there for a mid round pick.

Ill bet you all the pie in the world will Grier is a 1st round pick.

15 minutes ago, juliosantos said:

We had one of the better lines 

Week 1 with Moton at LT and Williams at RT.  100% agree.  They manhandled NE 1st string in preseason.  And mauled Dallas's DL.  One injuries hit, we wernt one of the better ones.  But not one of the worse ones either.

We can resign Williams and patch up the interior with 3rd round picks.  And we can be soid again.

I didn't read every comment but roll with Allen, Heinicke and a vet (not too high priced) for Camp. I would not waste a mid round pick as getting both lines fixed could help a lot and I would gamble on his arm will be better. If not, you have a good line and surrounding pieces in place to draft or sign a top QB. In 2020 you also have a better cap situation. 

If Cam can't throw more than 20 yards then his time as an NFL QB are coming to a close. And that sucks. Throwing arm injuries just wreck a QB's career and we've had it happen here before. Jake Delhomme was having a really remarkable career here (not Cam level, but the guy was a winner, too) and then one bad shot midway into his best statistical season and the writing was on the wall. He never was able to win again. Jake, of course, wasn't anywhere near the athletic specimen that Cam is, but shoulders and elbows don't care who you are once they break down.

I hope that Cam's injuries are nowhere near that serious, but the look test is that this is a long time problem that got worse as the year progressed. Cam threw with arm power more than technique and that might be the difference in rehabilitation. Can he clean up the mechanics and take some of the pressure off the musculature and tendons? Don't know.

And the draft is coming up before we'll know anything for sure. And training camp, too, most likely. I wouldn't fault the team for grabbing someone as an insurance policy, no matter how much I want to see Cam under center again, healthy and in charge.

But, if the throwing arm is gone, a little voice in the back of my head keeps asking, "What if the big, competitive, YAC receiver we need is actually Cam?" There are CBs in the league that would wet their pants trying to stop and tackle that guy...

My choice: Gardner Minshew Wash St

2018 PAC 12 OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

6'2 220 | Mustache | Great mechanics | Agile as frick

8724833.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

• Pie 1

I think we roll with Kyle Allen as the backup for next year. If you're drafting a qb, it's because you think that player a) has more upside than Allen and b) has more value for us than someone at another position. We have too many areas we have to improve and get younger (de, safety, oline) to give up a pick in rounds 1-3 on a qb and how many starting-caliber qbs have been drafted in round 4+ in the past 10 years?

As far as free agents go, someone is going to give Bridgewater and Taylor something close to 10 million, if not more, and that's money better spent elsewhere if you consider our ceiling with either of them taking over is a wild card loss.

Don't be surprised if he goes higher. He has some sound mechanics. I wouldn't mind him on the team for sure but I value fixing that D line and finding a FS more at this point. 

16 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Yep, we really need to plan for the worst. I would much rather have almost any other injury on a QB. ACL? Fine. But his throwing shoulder? Ugh. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1