Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

NFL: That's gotta hurt a little

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

There are several statistical categories where Stafford has been better than Newton over the years.

But among other things, he's not clutch. No way in hell I'd take him over Newton.

Stafford is actually my go-to example as to why stats don't tell the whole story, but he's not the only one.

If your basing it purely off the clutch factor, fact of the matter is that Cam hasn’t been as clutch as we are used to since pre-SB 2015 season. 

When he hasn’t been, fans have blamed our OC, O-line, Rivera, etc. I’m just saying if you’re going to give the benefit of the doubt I would say Trubisky could use it as he’d likely excel elsewhere. He’s still young, makes great decisions with the football most of the time and can hurt you with his legs. Give it more time.

1 minute ago, WarHeel said:

If your basing it purely off the clutch factor, fact of the matter is that Cam hasn’t been as clutch as we are used to since pre-SB 2015 season. 

When he hasn’t been, fans have blamed our OC, O-line, Rivera, etc. I’m just saying if you’re going to give the benefit of the doubt I would say Trubisky could use it as he’d likely excel elsewhere. He’s still young, makes great decisions with the football most of the time and can hurt you with his legs. Give it more time.

It's possible Trubisky might do okay with better coaching. I don't really think he's ever going to live up to his draft position, but a decent career could be possible.

Kinda doubt it's gonna be in Chicago, though.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's possible Trubisky might do okay with better coaching. I don't really think he's ever going to live up to his draft position, but a decent career could be possible.

Kinda doubt it's gonna be in Chicago, though.

Agreed on Chicago. 

I’d say most QB taken early are taken based on need and not a luxury so they rarely pan out as their respective draft position would suggest. 

1 minute ago, WarHeel said:

Agreed on Chicago. 

I’d say most QB taken early are taken based on need and not a luxury so they rarely pan out as their respective draft position would suggest. 

The vast majority of quarterbacks that are taken high in the draft are taken by lousy teams, frequently by one that just hired a new coach.

David Carr was a prime example. Great college prospect but might have received some of the sh-ttiest coaching in history. The original Texans staff didn't even try to teach him how to read defenses. They just had him throwing to a spot.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The vast majority of quarterbacks that are taken high in the draft are taken by lousy teams, frequently by one that just hired a new coach.

David Carr was a prime example. Great college prospect but might have received some of the sh-ttiest coaching in history. The original Texans staff didn't even try to teach him how to read defenses. They just had him throwing to a spot.

So kind of like Chicago with Trubisky. Although Fox was gone the following year. 

2 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

So kind of like Chicago with Trubisky. Although Fox was gone the following year. 

Yeah, Fox wasn't new.

He was lousy.

The QB draft process is an absolute joke. What the hell kind of "measurables" make you bypass actual FOOTAGE of dude playing, in the case of Watson? You saw this guy just beast his way thru the playoff and Championship game. But for some god awful reason you have these scrubs that are placed in front of that by the time the shuffling and underwear olympics happen. Same thing could be said for CMC in a converse nature. It's tragically hilarious

John Fox was never gonna draft a DeShaun Watson type quarterback.

(no, that's not a racial comment; it's a stylistic one)

3 minutes ago, Mistuh Jones said:

The QB draft process is an absolute joke. What the hell kind of "measurables" make you bypass actual FOOTAGE of dude playing, in the case of Watson? You saw this guy just beast his way thru the playoff and Championship game. But for some god awful reason you have these scrubs that are placed in front of that by the time the shuffling and underwear olympics happen. Same thing could be said for CMC in a converse nature. It's tragically hilarious

Well, to be fair there's no shortage of guys who looked like absolute beasts at the college level who just didn't translate to the NFL for whatever reason. Trying to project prospects to the next level is always dicey.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Well, to be fair there's no shortage of guys who looked like absolute beasts at the college level who just didn't translate to the NFL for whatever reason. Trying to project prospects to the next level is always dicey.

Remember when you could get eleventy million dollars just for being drafted highly?

(be thankful those days are over)

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Remember when you could get eleventy million dollars just for being drafted highly?

(be thankful those days are over)

The amount of money Sam Bradford has made over the course of his mediocre at best injury riddled career is mind blowing.

The rookie wage scale is why I wanted us to draft Cam. I thought he was a total boom or bust prospect. I probably wouldn't have wanted him under the old wild, wild west style #1 overall pick contract days. Just too risky.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

There are several statistical categories where Stafford has been better than Newton over the years.

But among other things, he's not clutch. No way in hell I'd take him over Newton.

Stafford is actually my go-to example as to why stats don't tell the whole story, but he's not the only one.

Wait a second....Stafford has more 4th qtr comebacks than any QB since he came into the league and is one of the best in NFL history at doing so and he isn't clutch??? If there is one thing I would call Stafford, it's clutch. 

11 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

Wait a second....Stafford has more 4th qtr comebacks than any QB since he came into the league and is one of the best in NFL history at doing so and he isn't clutch??? If there is one thing I would call Stafford, it's clutch. 

Also something like double the game winning drives...

13 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

I've watched him blow it way too many times in too many important games to apply that term.

This is another one of those things where I say stats don't tell the whole story.