Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

NAS

Charlotte Bid at 'Front of the Line' for MLS's 30th Team

When we build our dome in Rock Hill the MLS will have a permanent home in uptown. Just makes so much sence. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 5

Is there actually a market for soccer here? I don’t know anyone who watches it. I’m sure there are some people, but in my mind it’s just a fringe sport in our local area. Obviously Tepper feels differently. 

Meh there’s an MLS team here. They’re slightly above average. Stadium isn’t too bad either, but there seems to be literally zero interest in it. I wonder how it financial keeps it going and expanding. Maybe other cities are different.

• Beer 1

There are that many MLS teams? We have one in Kansas City but I couldn't tell you any others, let alone nearly 30.

7 minutes ago, KSpan said:

There are that many MLS teams? We have one in Kansas City but I couldn't tell you any others, let alone nearly 30.

MLS has been growing rapidly and it becomes very competitive.  Some of the Europe’s good players start moving to US in their prime.  As MLS expands, this trend will continue.  There is a work in progress to replace Champion League with another league that could include teams from other countries including the US.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Nesbro1 said:

Why would you put soccer talk in a football forum? Men don't care about soccer.

As the famous Forrest Gump would say: "stupid is as stupid does"

1 hour ago, Asurfaholic said:

Is there actually a market for soccer here? I don’t know anyone who watches it. I’m sure there are some people, but in my mind it’s just a fringe sport in our local area. Obviously Tepper feels differently. 

It's the most popular sport in the world. The primary reason it's interest has always lagged at the professional level is because of the difficulties of putting it on television, which is where pro sports get their visibility and exposure.  For reasons not worth going into here, the lack of regular breaks in the action to accommodate traditional television commercials, which are the bread and butter of american tv reveue has been the long time impediment. In most of the rest of the world, they have solved this problem by having ads around the border of the screen during the action, but american tv and advertising industry has long resisted going "outside the box" to do things different in order to accommodate soccer. 

The grassroots support for it is there because as many kids play youth soccer as do the other sports which have pro sports leagues, it's just that interest dies off after high school because beyond the rare kid who's soccer scholarship is the difference between whether or not he can go to college (pretty uncommon), there's no particular incentive to follow it at a higher level unless you're super passionate about it. MLS has been slowly but surely building a fan base for a generation or so, with the proliferation of sports channel tv options, they can get their product in front of more eyeballs.

It is still a fringe sport because things don't change with our cultural tastes overnight, but over time there is no real reason soccer can't make significant strides in popularity as it's pro league becomes more and more visible.  The US men's national team's rise from irrelevance to competitiveness has probably been the main driver of increasing interest in the sport over time. No one really gives a poo about gymnastics or or track and field etc etc, but every four years we'll pay attention if our team is good. US men's team success in Olympics and World Cup competition means more people pay attention.

• Pie 7
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

It's the most popular sport in the world. The primary reason it's interest has always lagged at the professional level is because of the difficulties of putting it on television, which is where pro sports get their visibility and exposure.

Just not here.

What Are The Most Popular Sports In The World?

Rank Sport Estimated Global Following Primary Sphere of Influence
1 Soccer (Association Football) 4.0 Billion Globally
2 Cricket 2.5 Billion UK and Commonwealth
3 Field Hockey 2 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia
4 Tennis 1 Billion Globally
5 Volleyball 900 Million Western Europe and North America
6 Table Tennis 875 Million Globally
7 Basketball 825 Million Globally
8 Baseball 500 Million United States, Caribbean, and Japan
9 Rugby 475 Million UK and Commonwealth
10 Golf 450 Million Western Europe, East Asia, and North America
  • Flames 1

Just hoping that Tepper is as determined to make the Panthers an annual SB contender as he is to get a soccer team in Charlotte

Edited by mc52beast
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Nesbro1 said:

Why would you put soccer talk in a football forum? Men don't care about soccer.

It's a Panthers forum. Tepper will own the team and may have them play in BofA. I mean we have threads on Olivia Culpo.

Anyway men care immensely about soccer.

• Pie 5

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

There's one down in Denver but it's such a total afterthought it's hard to remember that it actually exists.