Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Ship

CMC's Potential New Contract - Discussion

7 hours ago, TheRed said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/running-back/

Only two out of the top 10 were in the playoffs.

Overpaying one running back does not guarantee success in this current NFL.

It’s a franchise killer. The only thing I can rationalize in my head is you’re getting a receiver and a running back for the money. It’s the only way I can attempt to justify breaking the bank for such an easily replaceable position. 

3 hours ago, TheRed said:

There's another looming issue that really isn't being talked about much. Despite DJ Moore displaying some very nice abilities we still do not have a clear cut #1 WR.

He was third in the NFL in receiving yards before his concussion.  Third, in the entire NFL.  And that was with a terrible noodle armed qb in Kyle Allen throwing him the ball.  Oh yeah, and he was 22 years old and had the 2nd most yards of any wide receiver before the age of 23 in NFL history (behind Larry Fitzgerald).

Your concern about us not 'having a #1 WR" is pretty common among Panthers fans, but it's also really really bizarre.  I feel like he could have a 2000 yard season and people would still say, "well, he's not 6"5, he must not be a true WR1".

He's taller than OBJ and this isnt 2003.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

He was third in the NFL in receiving yards before his concussion.  Third, in the entire NFL.  And that was with a terrible noodle armed qb in Kyle Allen throwing him the ball.  Oh yeah, and he was 22 years old and had the 2nd most yards of any wide receiver before the age of 23 in NFL history (behind Larry Fitzgerald).

Your concern about us not 'having a #1 WR" is pretty common among Panthers fans, but it's also really really bizarre.  I feel like he could have a 2000 yard season and people would still say, "well, he's not 6"5, he must not be a true WR1".

He's taller than OBJ and this isnt 2003.

Please don't get me confused as a Moore hater or anything absurd like that. I am very happy with DJ and think he has a bright future.

But let's take off the homer shades. The jury is still out on Samuel, and who else do have after him and DJ?

We haven't exactly fielded multiple top WR's the last ten years. Before drafting Samuel and Moore our most notable starters at the position since 2011 up to that point were an aging Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Ted Ginn Jr, and Kelvin Benjamin. Let's not act like we can't continue improving at wide receiver is all I'm saying.

Edited by TheRed

Catching dump offs does not make you a wide receiver, or have the positional value of a WR

Perhaps CMC can line up outside and beat cornerbacks 1 on 1 deep, but we haven't seen him try to do it yet, and it's doubtful.

If you just mean he should get 20 million for catching dump offs, undrafted RB Austin Ekeler had 994 receiving yards this year (and about the same yards per carry rushing), and I doubt the Chargers are looking to break the bank on him.

• Pie 3

He is one of the best offensive players in the league.  Pay the man.

Already said, but CMC is the rare RB in the modern game I have no problem extending.  Done as a RB?  Cool, go excel as a slot WR or front load the money to make him an easy cut later on. 

We're on page ten, it's been explained twenty times, and people don't want to hear once.

Being thrifty at RB is a habit of winning teams. Sinking big money into RB is a habit of losing teams. The evidence is beyond overwhelming.

"Oh but it's different this time" - said every losing team
"Oh, but he can be a slot receiver" - say people who haven't looked very hard at what winning teams play their slot receivers
"Oh, but he's a generational swiss-army-knife multi-threat player" - say people trying really hard to make the numbers work
"Oh, but he might last longer than other RBs" - say people who are missing the point that even if he were immortal and invincible, this is a question of cap percentage vs. position value

There really is some weird emotional attachment going on here. I too, white as I am, like watching the whitey run fast and do cool stuff. If he would bust out some dance moves in the end zone, I'd buy him a round in Valhalla. But a big-ass contract would be a poor allocation of resources.

AND HE'S STILL UNDER CONTRACT!

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Already said, but CMC is the rare RB in the modern game I have no problem extending.  Done as a RB?  Cool, go excel as a slot WR or front load the money to make him an easy cut later on. 

Front-loading the money sounds good...but we have him under contract for pennies for a while yet, so it would actually be slightly insane.

• Pie 1

I’m having a hard time disagreeing with any take in this entire thread. I can see logic behind every statement from pay him to no way. 

But if anyone thinks he will just happily play under his current deal is kidding themselves. He would be crazy not to try and get security before another snap. 

• Pie 1

You guys act like it's your money.  Pay the kid what he's worth.  He will be the top paid offensive player on the team until the next franchise QB comes around.   By then he will be up for a 3rd contact somewhere else.

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I’m having a hard time disagreeing with any take in this entire thread. I can see logic behind every statement from pay him to no way. 

But if anyone thinks he will just happily play under his current deal is kidding themselves. He would be crazy not to try and get security before another snap. 

Yeah I'm also kinda torn on this one. I think there's something reasonable in almost every point of view expressed on this one. The idea I like the most would be to explore the possibility of converting him to receiver to extend his career, but I have no idea if CMC himself would be open to the idea. If he is, I think it might be the best all around option.

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

You guys act like it's your money.  Pay the kid what he's worth.  He will be the top paid offensive player on the team until the next franchise QB comes around.   By then he will be up for a 3rd contact somewhere else.

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I act like it's my money because any realistic fan these days knows salary cap management is a huge part of building and maintaning a successful team. If I were (dog forbid) a baseball fan, my answer to every contract situation would be "Pay the guy" cause who gives a fug? No cap and not my money.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's our team's cap space, and the dispute is whether any RB can be with top RB money, which has only ever been handed out by dumb, losing teams.

Doing dumb cap sh*t while waiting for "franchise QBs" to "come around" is another hallmark of bad teams.

Please, name me a good team that acts like that.

1 minute ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I act like it's my money because any realistic fan these days knows salary cap management is a huge part of building and maintaning a successful team. If I were (dog forbid) a baseball fan, my answer to every contract situation would be "Pay the guy" cause who gives a fug? No cap and not my money.

Still, not your money.  

Here's a point I'm not sure anyone has put forward:

At least broaching the subject of a new contract now, and getting a conversation going might help you get a better feel for how willing CMC is to stay here. I think it's possible we might all be overlooking that this is a bad team in the middle of a big rebuild. CMC might not want to do a contract with us right now because while he's not making bank atm, he knows he's going to get paid eventually, and he might be more interested in waiting to see how the new coaching staff works out before committing to staying here.

• Beer 1