Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Verge

Another year, another draft thread.

5 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

When you say elite tackle, do you mean OT or DT?

OT

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

At this point, before combine, I would like either of the first 2 DTs in Brown or Kinlaw in the First rd. Second round the best OC and in the third OG Ben Bredeson from Michigan. We need to build these lines back up.

• Pie 4

Really wanted Queen in the 2nd but have seen he is LB2 now by most and probably not falling out of the 2nd 

• Pie 2

The top half of the first round is giving me 2011 vibes. Lots of game changing playmakers on both sides of the ball. 

• Pie 3

I really feel a DT or LB Simmons in the 1st unless they trade back. I'm starting to see that option in mock drafts. If they can get either top DT or LB Simmons and drop 2 or 3 spots that's a win win. I'd even take a mid 1st round pick to pick up another 2nd and 3rd or maybe a 1st next year with a 2nd this year.

Next year, a couple of 1st round picks can be used to move all the way and grab Trevor Lawrence if need be. We may have to look at this year as setting up next year. They said we could be real bad to get good long term. 

• Pie 1

Thanks Verge, always look forward to your thoughts.  I think Queen will move even higher after the combine.  

I also hope this is the year Marty stops taking players moving down draft boards and takes more players moving up.

Edited by Captain Morgan
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Captain Morgan said:

Thanks Verge, always look forward to your thoughts.  I think Queen will move even higher after the combine.  

He's already LB2 by most, and projecting bottom of the first.

Doubt he goes much higher into the early 20 due to the ammount of OL, CBs and WRs going in the top 20.  Plus potentially 4 QBs

• Pie 1

Thoughts on Fromm? I personally like him over Herbert but I've been very very wrong before. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Thoughts on Fromm? I personally like him over Herbert but I've been very very wrong before. 

From what I understand, he knows the game inside and out, loves the game, loves being in the building, but doesn't have the necessary tools to be a top flight QB in the league from a physical standpoint.

Maybe a Tom Brady type prospect that goes much higher than the 6th obviously?

Again, just from what I'm gathering...I could be totally wrong.

• Pie 1

Thank you @Verge like your writeup every year.

Edited by thefuzz
  • Pie 3

Verge this is my first go around as a poster but I remember reading previous threads and always look forward to your insight.

• Pie 3

I think Kinlaw will make a big move up after the combine.  When all is said and done, he may end up higher than Brown.  So, if we go DT at #7, I wouldn't be at all shocked if we choose Kinlaw over Brown.  He's more explosive, and will likely be a better pass rusher from the inside.  Both are complete DT's that can do it all, so either would be a worthy pick at #7.

Herbert is a bust waiting to happen.  I just don't think he has the mental makeup to reach his potential.  He is not a guy that can carry a team on his back.  He's got the fundamental traits you want in a QB (size, arm strength, athleticism), but that's it.  His play does not match his traits, and he does not handle pressure well at all.  He did well at the senior bowl, but there was no blitzing or exotic schemes designed to confuse the QB.  When all is said and done, whatever team takes him early will regret it fairly quickly.

Queen is very good, but he is small (listed at 227, but that may be a bit generous).  He is definitely a playmaker, but because of his size, once an OL gets his hands on him, he's done.  And he'll likely struggle in the box more than he did in college.

Mims or Jefferson would be great fits for our WR corps, and would give us the bigger athletic receiver we are missing right now.  And with Brady liking 4 & 5 receiver sets, we will likely be taking a receiver higher than some think (unless we sign one in FA, but I prefer to wait for the draft).  The only problem is that there is a possibility that one or both will be gone by our 2nd round pick.  But as Verge said, WR's are so deep that some good ones will drop, so we'll see if they are there.

• The D 1

13 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

From what I understand, he knows the game inside and out, loves the game, loves being in the building, but doesn't have the necessary tools to be a top flight QB in the league from a physical standpoint.

Maybe a Tom Brady type prospect that goes much higher than the 6th obviously?

Again, just from what I'm gathering...I could be totally wrong.

This.  To me, his arm strength is his biggest issue.  Watching him this year, it seems comparable to Kyle Allen's.  So, in a clean pocket where he can set his feet and maintain technique, he can be very good.  But when the pocket breaks down, he doesn't have the strength to make a play with his arm alone if he can't get set.

But he does have a very high football IQ.