Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Recommended Posts



This is really assigning a lot of blame to our current administration--mirroring Trumps on words throughout this process--but it's hard to argue with. And, it shows how partisan politics is really not the game you want to be playing, when real leadership is required. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-are-sick-lost-february/608521/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, top dawg said:

This is really assigning a lot of blame to our current administration--mirroring Trumps on words throughout this process--but it's hard to argue with. And, it shows how partisan politics is really not the game you want to be playing, when real leadership is required. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-are-sick-lost-february/608521/

Honestly, it is our current administration’s inability to effectively lead that scares me the most. I keep talking about martial law, this administration is the reason I think it will happen at some point. I am independent, so I’m trying to remain in the middle. Facts are much less disputed when you are not wearing red or blue colored shades. The answer here is not throwing money at the problem, it is listening to the experts, and making tough choices to make a difference. I’m not sure any previous American leader in the last 40 years would have fared any better honestly.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, philit99 said:

 I’m not sure any previous American leader in the last 40 years would have fared any better honestly.

I mean yesterday his DOJ tried to suspend habeus corpus.

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

I mean yesterday his DOJ tried to suspend habeus corpus.

Courts are pretty much shut down in North Carolina too.  There are lots of constitutional rights being affected at the moment.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the main constitutional rights you are seeing infringed upon presently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stirs said:

What are the main constitutional rights you are seeing infringed upon presently?

All criminal courts are being delayed which impacts the right to a speedy trial.  This is especially true for people in jail who are awaiting trial. Child custody and other hearings are on hold. Parents have a constitutional right to parent their children. If the other parent just decides they don’t want to allow visitation to occur then too bad, it isn’t happening until court starts back. There are numerous other examples as well, but I dont want to bore you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, philit99 said:

Honestly, it is our current administration’s inability to effectively lead that scares me the most. I keep talking about martial law, this administration is the reason I think it will happen at some point. I am independent, so I’m trying to remain in the middle. Facts are much less disputed when you are not wearing red or blue colored shades. The answer here is not throwing money at the problem, it is listening to the experts, and making tough choices to make a difference. I’m not sure any previous American leader in the last 40 years would have fared any better honestly.

What do you mean by martial law? Do you think the military is going to show up and start shooting people on site?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

What do you mean by martial law? Do you think the military is going to show up and start shooting people on site?

No, martial law mean habeas corpus will be suspended. That means our local law enforcement and court system could be superseded by some form of the military. I think large cities where residents will need to remain in doors will be the ones effected. It means residents will be forced to remain isolated, without their consent. I think this is the last line of defense and if it happens then our government has run out of options. That’s my opinion.  

Edited by philit99
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, philit99 said:

No, martial law mean habeas corpus will be suspended. That means our local law enforcement and court system could be superseded by some form of the military. I think large cities where residents will need to remain in doors will be the ones effected. That’s my opinion.  

Don’t think that will happen at least not entirely.  The military will be visible during this, especially in larger cities and outbreak zones. I foresee their role being more assisting in keeping people safe (handing out food, etc).  and less law enforcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, top dawg said:

This is really assigning a lot of blame to our current administration--mirroring Trumps on words throughout this process--but it's hard to argue with. And, it shows how partisan politics is really not the game you want to be playing, when real leadership is required. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-are-sick-lost-february/608521/

We had a three month head start and the President ignored it, joked about it, and wouldn't listen to any of the warnings.  That's it.

  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BIGH2001 said:

Don’t think that will happen at least not entirely.  The military will be visible during this, especially in larger cities and outbreak zones. I foresee their role being more assisting in keeping people safe (handing out food, etc).  and less law enforcement.

This is the way I see it as well.  I doubt it will every get to what I consider "True" Martial law.  I think the National Guard will be active in large cities to keep order, make sure people are staying in their homes.  Who knows, the attitude i'd say at least a 10th of the people have that I spoken to is that "I am not going to follow the rules".  On the news this morning they were showing state parks, areas by the coast...etc....were just packed with people.  People are treating this as some sort of vacation and that is going to be our downfall.  Instead of just getting this done and out of the way, people are not following the rules and will make this much worse / last much longer than it had to.   It may get to a point that you can literally not be out of your home for any reason if people do not follow the rules.  So far in Washington, the Governor has pleaded with people to just follow the rules but I can all but promise you they won't.  I haven't left my home for 3 days now, work is closed for 2 weeks ( possibly much longer ) and the only time I plan to leave is if I need food.  At the moment we have about 2 months worth stocked up in the pantry, just not fresh goods like fruit and veggies. 

 

We had an extremely rainy winter this year and this spring is supposed to be sunny, dry and beautiful.  Since people weren't getting out and doing stuff for 3 months, they all have cabin fever already before any of this started.  Its a recipe for disaster.   

Edited by Wolfpredator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have we really heard anything out of Russia on this and how they are doing with the tolls?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are too into "hating or loving" your gov officials.

Currently, we are between 1.1 and 1.2% death rate, similar to S Korea. Italy on the other hand is close to 9%.

All numbers change each day, but even though I am no fan of the current president, NO government was ready or could have been ready for this.

Get your head screwed on right.  Grind your axes when this is over.

If all we offer is our hatred of our political parties, we don't add much to the conversation.  Normally, governments have a year and a half headstart for the yearly flu.  Not many have budgets to have anything more than "hypothetical plans" in place for a sudden pandemic.

  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...