Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
ladypanther

Latest CBS mock

Me thinks our big board looks like...

1. Jeff Okudah
2. Derrick Brown
3. Javon Kinlaw
4. Isaiah Simmons

The reason I think that we have Kinlaw over Simmons is due to position need. The team has Shaq for the next few seasons, Tahir Whitehead was just signed, and we have Carter Jr/Smith/Miller/Kunaszyk competing for the 3rd starting spot (a reminder that more and more teams are sitting in nickel rather than base packages). However, DT/DB both look barren. Our current DTs listed are Short and Hamilton while our 3 CBs are Jackson, Elder, Hatfield (tho Cole Luke is listed as a DB and has lined up at CB in the past).

With that in mind, Okudah seems to be the closest to what Rhule looks for in a player. Simmons does as well, but Okudah is at a position of need. Elite athlete, high character, competitive, and hard working.

Personally, I am a big believer of building from the trenches, middle-out. However, looking at an extended rebuild, mind as well go get BPA that also fills a need :3

These people talking like Simmons is "just" a linebacker. I wouldn't even label him that. The guy had started at safety he's faster than Darwin James and Ramsey. Both near the top of their possessions in the secondary. He has as much ability as those guys with the bonus of linebacker. He's what they wanted out of Shaq all along. Guy is a unicorn. Is Brown? Nope.

I grab the generational talent in the first and try to hit a nose or tackle in the 2-3 range.. or even trade back up later. No way I'm not taking the best talent on the board over a run stuffer.

• Pie 1

Dang I'd be so sad if Okudah drops that far just to see him get picked one before us. I'd still rather have Simmons over Brown

• Pie 1

Brown could be a good to great DT

Simmons could be a generational athlete at LB

panthers have really no DTs with an aging Short

LBs meh.  

optimist, either one helps 

• Pie 1

We'd go Simmons over brown in this scenario, I'm going to be PISSED if Okudah goes one pick ahead of us 

8 hours ago, Icege said:

Me thinks our big board looks like...

1. Jeff Okudah
2. Derrick Brown
3. Javon Kinlaw
4. Isaiah Simmons

The reason I think that we have Kinlaw over Simmons is due to position need. The team has Shaq for the next few seasons, Tahir Whitehead was just signed, and we have Carter Jr/Smith/Miller/Kunaszyk competing for the 3rd starting spot (a reminder that more and more teams are sitting in nickel rather than base packages). However, DT/DB both look barren. Our current DTs listed are Short and Hamilton while our 3 CBs are Jackson, Elder, Hatfield (tho Cole Luke is listed as a DB and has lined up at CB in the past).

With that in mind, Okudah seems to be the closest to what Rhule looks for in a player. Simmons does as well, but Okudah is at a position of need. Elite athlete, high character, competitive, and hard working.

Personally, I am a big believer of building from the trenches, middle-out. However, looking at an extended rebuild, mind as well go get BPA that also fills a need :3

I disagree, I think Hurney would love Simmons. I bet our big board is something like this 

1-Burrow

2-Young

3-Okudah

4-Simmons

5-Tua?

6-Kinlaw

7-Brown 

Okudah is kind of who I have my heart set on, I'm hoping Detroit throws a monkey wrench in all of this and draft Simmons at 3 instead of him

• Pie 1

Have you made the black bean salad yet? 

On 4/6/2020 at 4:40 PM, Sgt Schultz said:

That was my second thought when I looked at this.  The initial thought was "I'd be good with that."

The four QBs thing is dependent on the Giants trading with the Jags.  I'm not arguing that the Bengals, Chargers, Jags, and Dolphins don't need to do something at QB, but a lot depends on that trade.

Old Dave would make that trade if rich enough for him, he'd be happy to take a LT (the LT is what they really need anyway) rather than Simmons if it meant more high picks, Simmons would be a luxury not necessity. 

I don't know about these guy who do these mocks, either they know little about drafting or they just have no common sense, though they could be smoking weed for several hours previously I suppose.

Herbert looks like the second coming of Dan Fouts, you'd think the Chargers would want him. And how stupid would the Bengals be not to take all of the Dolphins first round picks for Burrow if offered?

8 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

These people talking like Simmons is "just" a linebacker. I wouldn't even label him that. The guy had started at safety he's faster than Darwin James and Ramsey. Both near the top of their possessions in the secondary. He has as much ability as those guys with the bonus of linebacker. He's what they wanted out of Shaq all along. Guy is a unicorn. Is Brown? Nope.

I grab the generational talent in the first and try to hit a nose or tackle in the 2-3 range.. or even trade back up later. No way I'm not taking the best talent on the board over a run stuffer.

Agree with you 100%. Doesn't mean I don't like Brown or Kinlaw, but Simmons is a rare talent.

• Pie 1

On 4/6/2020 at 6:05 PM, jfra78 said:

I dont see 4 QBs going in the first 5 picks

I don't see 3.  Livin on the edge here.

17 hours ago, Teddy Time said:

From what i can see the last DT taken in the Top 10 that really became a beast was Aaron Donald.  Leonard Williams, Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, Solomon Thomas, Vita Vea, Daron Payne, Jonathan Allen, Danny Shelton, just some of the Top Ten prospect Interior Linemen who never pan out as anything more than above average at best, after several years of seasoning.  Better off grabbing those types in the 2nd or later rounds which will get you similar results. 

Take the LB Isaiah Simmons. Much greater chance of being a top player in the NFL than yet another average DT taken in the Top 10.

Agreed. I think Brown has a good chance to be a solid starter/borderline pro bowler for a decade and that'd be a successful draft pick no doubt (maybe our next Star Lotulelei). But the track record of top rated DTs that you so well demonstrated is not the most exciting (and Brown's measurables do not give much confidence he will buck the trend). And the likelihood of finding a similar player without much drop off in the 2nd round is much higher for Brown than Simmons. Comp for Simmons seems to be Derwin James except with more unparalleled athleticism and better college production. That profile suggests all pro/dpoy potential. I wouldn't be mad at a Brown pick but I'd be pretty darn excited for Simmons, and there aren't many potential options at 7 that I'd say that for. Seems like their floors are similar but Simmons ceiling is much higher.

Just now, Peon Awesome said:

Agreed. I think Brown has a good chance to be a solid starter/borderline pro bowler for a decade and that'd be a successful draft pick no doubt (maybe our next Star Lotulelei). But the track record of top rated DTs that you so well demonstrated is not the most exciting (and Brown's measurables do not give much confidence he will buck the trend). And the likelihood of finding a similar player without much drop off in the 2nd round is much higher for Brown than Simmons. Comp for Simmons seems to be Derwin James except with more unparalleled athleticism and better college production. That profile suggests all pro/dpoy potential. I wouldn't be mad at a Brown pick but I'd be pretty darn excited for Simmons, and there aren't many potential options at 7 that I'd say that for. Seems like their floors are similar but Simmons ceiling is much higher.

The impact of a DT is often less in what he's producing on the stat sheet and more in what he's allowing those behind him and beside him to do because he's eating up that OL. Look what happened to our D when we lost Star. It's not a coincidence.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The impact of a DT is often less in what he's producing on the stat sheet and more in what he's allowing those behind him and beside him to do because he's eating up that OL. Look what happened to our D when we lost Star. It's not a coincidence.

I definitely agree with that point. I just think you're better off getting your space eater/run stopper in the 2nd and/or 3rd round since teams are naturally going to undervalue those players and you can still get a good one then. You're not going to find anyone like Simmons after the top 10. Ideally in this scenario, I'd take Simmons in the first, the top available corner in the 2nd, and a space eating DT in the 3rd (and probably again in day 3, perhaps with one of our 2 5ths). Our defense might actually look serviceable then.

• Pie 1

Just now, Peon Awesome said:

I definitely agree with that point. I just think you're better off getting your space eater/run stopper in the 2nd and/or 3rd round since teams are naturally going to undervalue those players and you can still get a good one then. You're not going to find anyone like Simmons after the top 10. Ideally in this scenario, I'd take Simmons in the first, the top available corner in the 2nd, and a space eating DT in the 3rd (and probably again in day 3, perhaps with one of our 2 5ths). Our defense might actually look serviceable then.

You can get good *insert every position here* in the 2nd or 3rd if you get lucky and draft well. There's tons of good LBs throughout the league that were drafted after the 1st. 

I'm just big on building from the trenches out. If your lines aren't right your team isn't right.

• Pie 1