• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking for a PC

DirtyMagic97

Dell's garbage, Compaq is garbage, and HP is suspect imo, but the lesser of the 3 evils by far.

Everyone talks poo about them, but I like eMachines and Acers. Easy to upgrade, affordable and cheaper than Gateway. Besides, Acers are really Gateways anyway. Same mobos, same procs, same everything for a lower price.

But once you figure out the cost in man hours, you're usually in the hole when you build your own. You gotta think of how much you would pay a professional to do it, then tack that cost on there, which is usually an extra 150-200$.

I wouldn't build anyone a PC for less than 100$ going in my pocket and I'm not a pro.

a monkey can build a pc. Man hours? it shouldnt take you hours to screw in a motherboard and push ram and a vid card onto it and screw in a harddrive and dvd drive.

Building your own PC will benefit you when it comes time to upgrade and even simple support. Dont be intimidated by this simple task. There are probably many utube vids showing how to do it.

A simple task involving the research, reading of reviews, eliminating compatibility issues with research, and so much more than simply screwing in a few pieces and making sure you have the keyboard plugged in.

People love to gloss over how much the industry changes in just 6 months, and unless you're actively involved in it or keeping up with the industry on a daily basis then really, you have to start all over again.

Who's dependable now? Pentium. 5 years ago they were poo. Now AMD is poo. Who makes the best mobos? Asus? Biostar? Is there even really a difference? Who's going to be better tomorrow?

It was definitely a better idea to build your own PC towards the end of the 90's, but once the industry collapsed and the labor became dirt cheap, the price dropped drastically for non-trendy pcs, and now it is simply more work to build your own pc than its worth it.

So I gotta figure out who makes the most reliable motherboards, which one I want that suits my purposes, what kind of ram it uses, is the power supply I'm ordering going to be enough to power the video card, the purchase of the OS.

Purchasing the right prebuilt computer will also benefit you when it comes time to upgrade even simple support. Don't be fooled by the myth and mystique of building your own system.

The last time I built my own system, it was a Pentium II. And that's the last time it was worth it to me, when I could just go out and buy a prebuilt for the exact same price if I looked for a deal.

If a monkey can build a pc, why do they have expensive robots doing it?

The 'man hours' start when you first start looking for your motherboard, and don't end until you have it all put together, with the OS installed and drivers are upgraded, and you're having no conflicts or issues.

Dell's garbage, Compaq is garbage, and HP is suspect imo, but the lesser of the 3 evils by far.

Everyone talks poo about them, but I like eMachines and Acers. Easy to upgrade, affordable and cheaper than Gateway. Besides, Acers are really Gateways anyway. Same mobos, same procs, same everything for a lower price.

But once you figure out the cost in man hours, you're usually in the hole when you build your own. You gotta think of how much you would pay a professional to do it, then tack that cost on there, which is usually an extra 150-200$.

I wouldn't build anyone a PC for less than 100$ going in my pocket and I'm not a pro.

Why would you tack on the price of paying somebody to do it?

The whole point of building your own is you don't have to pay the premium of buying a pre-built. Your logic makes no sense.

On top of that building a computer is not hard at all and the cheaper price is just one of the benefits.

Because you can't get that time back, and for some it would be more productive spent doing other things. If you really enjoy building a computer, and are up on current market trends, then by all means, have at it.

But these are guys that don't know an AMD from a Pentium that are asking for help and you guys keep telling them to build their own.

The minute they touch that processor and fry it with static discharge, there goes another 100+ bucks.

And the price isn't cheaper. That's a fallacy. You'll pay a comparative price plus spend more time than is worth it on the research, assembly and troubleshooting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.345227 - combo case and PSU

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishLists.aspx?guid=8fbbfeb16c704529afd13f91c87a5c52 - the rest

heres a build with a monitor, speakers, keyboard/mouse, and OS. Total cost is a little north of 900 bucks.

Let me know how that looks and what you would like to be different.

A simple task involving the research, reading of reviews, eliminating compatibility issues with research, and so much more than simply screwing in a few pieces and making sure you have the keyboard plugged in.

People love to gloss over how much the industry changes in just 6 months, and unless you're actively involved in it or keeping up with the industry on a daily basis then really, you have to start all over again.

Who's dependable now? Pentium. 5 years ago they were poo. Now AMD is poo. Who makes the best mobos? Asus? Biostar? Is there even really a difference? Who's going to be better tomorrow?

It was definitely a better idea to build your own PC towards the end of the 90's, but once the industry collapsed and the labor became dirt cheap, the price dropped drastically for non-trendy pcs, and now it is simply more work to build your own pc than its worth it.

So I gotta figure out who makes the most reliable motherboards, which one I want that suits my purposes, what kind of ram it uses, is the power supply I'm ordering going to be enough to power the video card, the purchase of the OS.

Purchasing the right prebuilt computer will also benefit you when it comes time to upgrade even simple support. Don't be fooled by the myth and mystique of building your own system.

The last time I built my own system, it was a Pentium II. And that's the last time it was worth it to me, when I could just go out and buy a prebuilt for the exact same price if I looked for a deal.

If a monkey can build a pc, why do they have expensive robots doing it?

The 'man hours' start when you first start looking for your motherboard, and don't end until you have it all put together, with the OS installed and drivers are upgraded, and you're having no conflicts or issues.

as you just said, the last time you built your own pc was with a pentium II. When was that, 1994? The wonderful world of the internet makes it so simple. Even newegg geeks list there entire system in the comments. Find a processor you want, then just grab pieces from the comments. 10 minutes tops. Hell, you took longer to argue with me then it would to put all the pieces in the shopping cart.

because monkies cost health insurance, robots dont.

For the record I bought my prebuilt for 800$ two and a half years ago, upgraded the ram, and video card for less than 200$ and it still runs any game out there. My load times are minimal, and I average about 45 fps on top end, unless the game is a console port.

And you guys are talking a thousand right now to build a machine that's not much better than mine.

as you just said, the last time you built your own pc was with a pentium II. When was that, 1994? The wonderful world of the internet makes it so simple. Even newegg geeks list there entire system in the comments. Find a processor you want, then just grab pieces from the comments. 10 minutes tops. Hell, you took longer to argue with me then it would to put all the pieces in the shopping cart.

because monkies cost health insurance, robots dont.

And then another week for it to get there, but you're still paying the same price for a prebuilt on sale and you still have to assemble and install the OS. God forbid they send you a faulty mobo or proc. That's another 2 weeks.

So you agree that someone that isn't even sure how to update their nforce drivers (or are even aware of what an nforce driver is) should be building their own PC?

Because if they knew as much as either one of us, and were capable of building a machine, they wouldn't be in this forum asking for help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.345227 - combo case and PSU

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=18290888 - the rest

heres a build with a monitor, speakers, keyboard/mouse, and OS. Total cost is a little north of 900 bucks.

Let me know how that looks and what you would like to be different.

your wishlist link doesnt work

For the record I bought my prebuilt for 800$ two and a half years ago, upgraded the ram, and video card for less than 200$ and it still runs any game out there. My load times are minimal, and I average about 45 fps on top end, unless the game is a console port.

And you guys are talking a thousand right now to build a machine that's not much better than mine.

if you are still running a 9800gt, your machine will get smoked by any new $1000 machine.

Plus the possibility of using your PC as an HTPC makes building so much of a better idea. And we didnt even get into overclocking.

But my machine is only worth 350$ right now. Its not gonna get smoked to the extent of 650$. I'd say a mobo/proc/ram upgrade with a 1gb vid card would get me...maybe 30% more performance, or about the same as that 1000$ pc.

Which it was due for a couple months ago. I'm just waiting for the i9 to drop so the i7 will drop in price.

Why hasn't anyone suggested he wait for that?

The consensus is that the only reason to build your own pc is to get a top of the line machine without having to pay for the cool factor of alienware.

But the lesser known consensus is that all top of the line technology is overpriced anyway.

But my machine is only worth 350$ right now. Its not gonna get smoked to the extent of 650$. I'd say a mobo/proc/ram upgrade with a 1gb vid card would get me...maybe 30% more performance, or about the same as that 1000$ pc.

Which it was due for a couple months ago. I'm just waiting for the i9 to drop so the i7 will drop in price.

Why hasn't anyone suggested he wait for that?

The consensus is that the only reason to build your own pc is to get a top of the line machine without having to pay for the cool factor of alienware.

But the lesser known consensus is that all top of the line technology is overpriced anyway.

i already did. I said the i7 920 is only $170. You are too busy arguing how your $350 system kicks ass.

Archived