• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Laptop

Jeff L

Overpriced? Maybe, depends on what you are using it for. Inferior os? Lol.

I just bought an i5 lenovo ideapad with 6 gigs of memory and a decent video card for 6ish... I think it ended up being in $620. Seems like a pretty nice machine but ive only had it for 1 day.

No, it's overpriced anyway you splice it.

They take HDDs that cost 200 and make you pay $450 to have them put in. They take RAM that's $150 and make you pay $400.

They mark up GPU's by three times their worth. That's how they get people who have absolutely no idea about computers and make them pay 3 times what the computer they bought is actually worth.

And yeah, Mac's OS is garbage compared to even something like Windows 7, much less Linux.

That's their computers. Their pads, phones, iPods, etc aren't that bad.

No, it's overpriced anyway you splice it.

They take HDDs that cost 200 and make you pay $450 to have them put in. They take RAM that's $150 and make you pay $400.

They mark up GPU's by three times their worth. That's how they get people who have absolutely no idea about computers and make them pay 3 times what the computer they bought is actually worth.

And yeah, Mac's OS is garbage compared to even something like Windows 7, much less Linux.

That's their computers. Their pads, phones, iPods, etc aren't that bad.

computers, like cars and other high end items are more than the sum of their parts... macs (especially the laptops) as machines are better computers than anything I can buy pc wise and their in-house software is imo so superior as to be incomparable. If you are gaming or working business software, PCs are far superior... If you are doing design or video editing or the like, Macs are much better.

again, depends on what you're looking for, and we're gonna have to agree to disagree on the OS... I'd rather use OSX any day of the week.

computers, like cars and other high end items are more than the sum of their parts... macs (especially the laptops) as machines are better computers than anything I can buy pc wise and their in-house software is imo so superior as to be incomparable. If you are gaming or working business software, PCs are far superior... If you are doing design or video editing or the like, Macs are much better.

again, depends on what you're looking for, and we're gonna have to agree to disagree on the OS... I'd rather use OSX any day of the week.

They aren't more than the sum of their parts.....Macs and windows/linux machines use EXACTLY the same hardware, it isn't like Apple is using a ton of proprietary pieces. They're the exact same things everybody else has in their machines, except they're just overpriced to the moon, and people put up with it because they think it makes their Mac special, when it doesn't.

With the amazing amount of money you save on principle of buying a PC over a Mac alone you can buy much, much better software that can fully take advantage of the hardware you have than what comes stock with a Mac. Both apple's stock & upgradeable software are garbage compared to what professionals in industry use, whether it be music, graphics design, art, etc. They are comparable, it's just that high-end PC software always outclasses a Mac's.

Now there's a reason the Zune is poo and everybody uses iPod.....it's not like Apple doesn't know how to design software, it's just that when it comes to computer vs. computer, Mac's can't touch a PC that has even the exact same parts as it, much less a PC that has.

You can get a 12 core processor on a PC for insanely cheaper than what Apple charges to put in their computers, and that's just the beginning of the myriad examples of their shitty markup model.

They aren't more than the sum of their parts.....Macs and windows/linux machines use EXACTLY the same hardware, it isn't like Apple is using a ton of proprietary pieces. They're the exact same things everybody else has in their machines, except they're just overpriced to the moon, and people put up with it because they think it makes their Mac special, when it doesn't.

With the amazing amount of money you save on principle of buying a PC over a Mac alone you can buy much, much better software that can fully take advantage of the hardware you have than what comes stock with a Mac. Both apple's stock & upgradeable software are garbage compared to what professionals in industry use, whether it be music, graphics design, art, etc. They are comparable, it's just that high-end PC software always outclasses a Mac's.

Now there's a reason the Zune is poo and everybody uses iPod.....it's not like Apple doesn't know how to design software, it's just that when it comes to computer vs. computer, Mac's can't touch a PC that has even the exact same parts as it, much less a PC that has.

You can get a 12 core processor on a PC for insanely cheaper than what Apple charges to put in their computers, and that's just the beginning of the myriad examples of their shitty markup model.

You're talking to somebody who works in an industry largely dominated by macs... Do you know why? It's because with the necessary software they're a cheaper alternative to PCs. I am a professional in "industry" and I disagree with you. That doesn't even BEGIN to take into account the build quality and design elements which are VASTLY superior to any pc on the market and even though you may think that's stupid, some people care about it.

Are macs perfect? absolutely not. does their proprietary service bullshiat piss me off? regularly. are they better in some ways than PCs? Yes, and if you don't believe that you probably haven't used one since '01.

There's a reason their marketshare has exploded and it's not all hipsters buying them on their parent's credit cards.

don't really need to have this argument... buy what you like to use, whatever makes sense to you.

People in companies in industries use Macs because they're streamlined, just like some companies choose to only use Dell, etc. That's for when somebody in the company sends down the line that this is what you're using, this is what we're going to give to you to use. It doesn't mean they're better. It doesn't mean everybody in that line of work uses that type of computer. Companies use iPhone as their company phone because it's streamlined, doesn't mean they're more powerful than their Android counterparts.

How can Macs have a superior build quality when you can't even customize it fully? Oh sure, you have a couple of options here & there, but with a PC you can choose literally every hardware piece their is out there, as long as you make them match your motherboard. Mac's can't come close to the customizing you get with a PC.

That's not to say that PCs are perfect (since their marketshare is so large, almost all viruses are targeted at them), but 9 times out of 10 I want a PC and not a Mac. That's true for over 80% of people buying a desktop or laptop.

If by their marketshare exploding you mean they now have 10% of the market of laptops & desktops, then I guess so.....they're still overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of PCs everywhere, and it isn't even close. Even with iPads factored in, they barely hold 15% of the marketshare.

It's not only hipsters, but lets be honest, the majority of people buying them are. Not all are, just like how everyone who buys an iPhone isn't, but it's out there and it's obvious.

944377-GXHVJTW.png

Just to show how bad their markup policy is, how insanely stupid it is.

They charge 200 dollars for an upgrade of RAM that actually only costs 20 bucks. That's a tenfold markup. That doesn't even count the fault that the Macbook Pro can only support 8gigs of RAM.

They charge 1.1k for a SSD on top of what they already priced their 750GB SATA as. That's a twofold markup.

They don't even give you the option to upgrade graphics whatsoever.

Horrible customization, horrible pricing.

i know the numbers... i used to build PCs and I used to have these same arguments with people from your side, I used macs for a year (now 8) and i now understand why people use them...

I buy mine used, under warranty and upgrade them myself where necessary. easy peasy. my mac pro has been running for literally 5 years straight... 0 issues. i dual boot windows, use whatever the f*ck I want to and I can't complain about that one bit. I use my computer for 8-10 hours a day every day... I don't mind investing more money into something that I use that frequently, something that give me stability and versatility. Some people don't want to do that, that's fine.

anyway, i'm out of this conversation, we've hijacked this thread enough... enjoy your pc, i'll enjoy my mac.

Archived