Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st and Goal What Do You Do?

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Ok this is just a hypothetical question. But would you feel more comfortable with Cam trying to run it in 3 times, jstew or tolbert trying to run it in 3 times, or pass 3 times. I got to admit, I would feel better and feel like we had a better chance to score if Cam was running it. Thoughts?

Posted · Report post

Anyone running period. We get first and goal from the five and we throw three straight times. COACHING!!!

Posted · Report post

Cam has had a bit of fumblitis, so I say alternate between Tolbert and Dwill on the first two downs and then call a Cam pass. He has to learn how to pass in goal-line situations.

Posted · Report post

Run all day

Posted · Report post

Power running inside the tackles. You would have to run counters, give to the "lead blocker", shifting one of the backs out to the edge, anything that forces them to give some thought to the passing game but in the end run it down their throat.

Posted · Report post

Cam running
But knowing Chud he'll probably call a Jimmeh flea flicker

Posted · Report post

Cam seems to fumble a lot suddenly. I say put Hartsock in at FB and let Tolbert run it in behind him

Posted · Report post

4 runs by The Big Meeeeezy

Posted · Report post

1st Post to Smitty on the edge of the endzone.
2nd Triple read option where Cam can either flick it to Stew inside, pitch it to Williams outside, or take it himself between them.
3rd Play action to Tolbert, rollout, pump fake to Olsen and run it in OR run fake then hit Olsen or any other open WR for that matter.
4th Let Cam dive it in, Superman style.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='chknwing' timestamp='1351726051' post='1974266']
Ok this is just a hypothetical question. But would you feel more comfortable with Cam trying to run it in 3 times, jstew or tolbert trying to run it in 3 times, or pass 3 times. I got to admit, I would feel better and feel like we had a better chance to score if Cam was running it. Thoughts?
[/quote]

Cam

Then Stewart

Then Tolbert

Then Williams

Then passing

Chud however doesn't.....

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TruCatzFan' timestamp='1351726830' post='1974305']
Cam seems to fumble a lot suddenly. I say put Hartsock in at FB and let Tolbert run it in behind him
[/quote]

Fumble Sunday was really just a great defensive play.....those happen. Perfectly placed helmet hit from a defender Cam wasn't prepped for.

The Atl one.....that was just horrible.

Posted · Report post

Hard to run with the middle of our Oline as it is

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CRA' timestamp='1351727691' post='1974335']

Fumble Sunday was really just a great defensive play.....those happen. Perfectly placed helmet hit from a defender Cam wasn't prepped for.

The Atl one.....that was just horrible.
[/quote]

It was actually the defenders right shoulder... But who's keeping track right?
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

1st and goal you say? Punt into the crowd of course... Wouldn't want Devin Hester close to returning anything at all

Posted · Report post

Olsen

Posted · Report post

Field goal.

Posted · Report post

First and goal from where? The 1 yard line? The 9 yard line? The guys upstairs with the headphones who have been prepping all week and watching the opposing defense's tendencies might just have a say...

Are you facing the Bears or the Bills???

If you are strictly playing to your strengths from any distance more than 2 yards you pass on 1st down...but Newton really struggles in the passing game with a compacted field...if you are the Panthers, you want to stay out of obvious passing situations as much as possible...but you can't always do it.

There was a beautiful call by Chudzinski Sunday on the final Panther drive. 3rd and 1. Fake to Tolbert left...the entire Bear defense sells out...naked bootleg to the right by Newton for 16 yards and a first down. Chud makes that call not because he necessarily has preconceived notions about what MUST work...but because he has been watching the Bear defense and calls what he believes MIGHT work given the Bear's tendencies.

No matter what you call as a coach, if it doesn't work, a certain percentage of fans will call you a fool. And good calls don't always work.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[b]Cam throwing a damn "FADE" to a damn 6'3" receiver in Brandon Lafail![/b]
Im sick to death that the damn coaches have not develop Cam throwing fades and slants!
Delhomme used to kill the "fade" every weekend to a 5'8" receiver in Steve Smith, and I cant understand why Cam cant throw a damn fade to Lafail at the endzone.

Posted · Report post

Best answer so far goes to TonyN.

Too much depends on what defense the other team is showing, what type of plays got you down to the red zone, mismatches at various positions, etc.

There is no one right answer unless you know the whole situation.

Posted · Report post

Run to Stew or Tolbert will get us 6 almost everytime. Hate the trickery crap we keep trying to pull.

Posted · Report post

Depending on what yard line and other factors of the game..such as if the pass is working, the run is working, or both....there are different play calls (obviously).

Sometimes in the goal-to-go situations the problem is a crowded field. How about four wide with stew in the backfield and run a draw play. Get them to play more DB's and run a lead draw of some sort.

If that doesn't get in..depending on the situation..I believe you line up with two TE's and a FB and try to power it in.

Finally..by this point it may be third and goal from within the five..you run a hard play-action bootleg allowing cam to roll to the right and give him the option to throw or run.

If the pass is working all game the draw may get it to the yard line and a QB sneak might work. If the the power run is working that may get it in, or the hard bootleg will give CAM an easy run to the front corner or a wide open Olsen.

IMO.

Posted · Report post

Just let Stew pound the rock 3 times and he's gonna get those 5 yards every time

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TruCatzFan' timestamp='1351726830' post='1974305']
[/quote]

Jumbo package to say the least with that backfield.