Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So Godfrey permanently moving back to FS?

31 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Thats what I got from Rivera's quote from Person's twitter.

[color=#333333][font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]"Rivera says Charles Godfrey found a home at free safety at end of last season. If they sign Mike Mitchell, he'll be at strong." From Joe Person's twitter.[/background][/font][/color]

**He played the last 3 games at FS last year as many of you know and was actually drafted to play FS and held down that FS spot until we parted ways with Chris Harris in 2010 when we purged for the lockout.

[font=Helvetica Neue, Arial, sans-serif][color=#333333]I am taking that to mean he's going back to FS whether Mitchell signs or not. [/color][/font]

Posted · Report post

I thought he played well there and I think his skill set is more geared as a center fielder.

DJ Campbell played well at SS, so my worries with S aren't as big as they were at Week 10 last season.

Posted · Report post

Sounds good, signing Mitchell sounds even better...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jackofalltrades' timestamp='1363814129' post='2169237']
I thought he played well there and I think his skill set is more geared as a center fielder.

DJ Campbell played well at SS, so my worries with S aren't as big as they were at Week 10 last season.
[/quote]

This sums it up. To add to it, Godfrey is also becoming a vocal leader, something we have not seen in a S in a while. Campbell was a find, and he is a smart guy. Nakamura and Jones are depth and special teamers.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='panther4life' timestamp='1363813987' post='2169233']
Thats what I got from Rivera's quote saying something to the effect that

[color=#333333][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]"Rivera says Charles Godfrey found a home at free safety at end of last season. If they sign Mike Mitchell, he'll be at strong." From Joe Person's twitter.[/background][/color]

**He played the last 3 games at FS last year as many of you know and was actually drafted to play FS and held down that FS spot until we parted ways with Chris Harris in 2010 when we purged for the lockout.

[font=Helvetica Neue, Arial, sans-serif][color=#333333]I am taking that to mean he's going back to FS whether Mitchell signs or not. [/color][/font]
[/quote]

Safe assumption.

Posted · Report post

well playing cb in college, it would seem fit he plays better in coverage rather than against the run

Posted · Report post

If we could add Mitchell, I would say our defensive backfield has improved.

We have the potential to really improve during the draft if we are able to pick up Mitchell and Boothe in FA.

Posted · Report post

If thats the case i think we should look in to signing Bernard Pollard to play SS. He was a difference maker for the Ravens

Posted · Report post

Godfrey is actually a "ballhawk" he just sucks in man coverage, especially against the TE. FS should serve him well.

Posted · Report post

He played very well at FS. He belongs there. Now DJ Swearinger in the second?

Posted · Report post

saw this re: mitchell...
[quote]according to Pro Football Focus, among the 78 safeties who played in 25 percent of their team’s snaps in 2012, Mitchell ranked fifth in run-stop percentage when in the box (10.7 percent) and 20th in overall tackling efficiency (three missed tackles). He was the best pass rusher among NFL safeties with nine total pressures (one sack, six hits and two hurries) in 27 pass-rushing snaps. In fact, only four safeties had more total pressures than Mitchell, even though they played between three times and four times as many snaps.

Mitchel’s struggles came in the passing game, where he ranked a third-to-last in passer rating allowed (130.2).
http://stripehype.com/2013/03/20/bengals-pursuing-raiders-free-agent-safety-mike-mitchell-will-decide-this-week/[/quote]we wouldn't be asking him to play FS or CB. he'd be a SS. the passer rating isn't flattering at all, but with the rest of the stuff he brings i think he'd be worth it.

great against the run. solid tackler. good at getting pressure on the QB. i'm quite ok with that.

and godfrey should be moved to FS if he's on the team.

Posted · Report post

have we seen enough out of DJ campbell against quality opponents (or even shitty ones) to peg him as a worthy starter?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PhillyB' timestamp='1363815534' post='2169270']
have we seen enough out of DJ campbell against quality opponents (or even shitty ones) to peg him as a worthy starter?
[/quote]Not yet. But I like the kid.

Posted · Report post

He will play FS for a year....then face a paycut/cut scenario pending he doesn't turn into Ed Reed.

He moved to SS bc he sucks at FS....

Posted · Report post

I'm still of the opinion that the secondary coach/ McDermott/ Rivera are going to keep us in chicken salad eith what we perceive to be chicken sh*t...

Posted · Report post

Charles is a beter FS than SS. This is a good move.

Posted · Report post

Godfrey at FS with Campbell/Mitchell at SS is good for now and that's what it seems like is lining up.

Thomas-Munnerlyn-Moore-Norman-Florence-Dockery right now at CB...

the secondary is not terrible I guess

Posted · Report post

[quote name='The Golden Child' timestamp='1363819152' post='2169368']
Charles is a beter FS than SS. This is a good move.
[/quote]

I think he is a better SS than FS....only think he does well IMO is blitz and occassionally land a flesh bomb near the line of scrimmage.

In career he has been horrible at coverage assignments at FS...again THE Sherrod Martin looked better overall at FS and he sucked.

But I can handle it for a year....

Posted · Report post

I'd like to see us try out Campbell at CB because hes good at tackling in open space, and he can cover tight, very physical. His draft position out of college was FS if im not mistaken. He seems to be a smart player so i'm sure he can transition even quicker. If not, im actually happy with the depth we are adding at these positions.

Posted · Report post

I was surprised when I looked it up, but per PFF Godfrey actually ended up grading out positive ( ever so slightly) in coverage for the year. In fact five of his last six games, he graded out positive. Who knows if that will transfer over, but its something I suppose.

And there was a overall grade improvement when he switched to FS which follows Rivera 's assessment . Though some of that would have to do with the fact he wasn't involved in as many running plays, which he is pretty awful at.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MaineManPanther' timestamp='1363826434' post='2169495']
I was surprised when I looked it up, but per PFF Godfrey actually ended up grading out positive ( ever so slightly) in coverage for the year. In fact five of his last six games, he graded out positive. Who knows if that will transfer over, but its something I suppose.

And there was a overall grade improvement when he switched to FS which follows Rivera 's assessment . Though some of that would have to do with the fact he wasn't involved in as many running plays, which he is pretty awful at.
[/quote]
My PFF ran out...he was graded as standard ole Godfrey when mine ran out midseason

Where did he finish in missed tackles? He was leading all secondary guys midseason

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CRA' timestamp='1363826696' post='2169506']

My PFF ran out...he was graded as standard ole Godfrey when mine ran out midseason

Where did he finish in missed tackles? He was leading all secondary guys midseason
[/quote]

You might have been looking at his overall grade, which is easily in the negatives. Thats due to a pretty bad grade in run defense and pass rush. Also, he didn't really " pick it up" till after midseason.

He finished with 13 missed tackles. Which would put him as seventh worst.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CRA' timestamp='1363816423' post='2169289']
He will play FS for a year....then face a paycut/cut scenario pending he doesn't turn into Ed Reed.

He moved to SS bc he sucks at FS....
[/quote]

he moved to SS because we thought Sherrod was our future at FS

Posted · Report post

McD has to be happy with what we are doing right now.

Posted · Report post

It's going to be nice when we cut Godfreys ass right before his cap hit increases....

And then bring in a real safety via draft or FA...one can hope