Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zod

Carolina Panthers 2 Key Things Regarding Kony Ealy

88 posts in this topic

Here's the thing about it.

DE may be a need NEXT year... but CB is a need THIS year.

when will people understand ya don't draft based on need.

i understood that was too much talent to pass up, but how many teams passed on him twice?

i understand that it gives us leverage and options in dealing with DEs that take up WAAAAAAYYYY too much cap space, but we still have old and slow DBs and poo at OT on either side. i want to know what he plans on doing there that doesn't end up with JAG scrubs starting for us, esp. at OT that is kinda important.

How many teams passed on Hardy?

How many teams passed on CJ?

Our current starting DEs.

We needed a QB in 2011..... we drafted one with our first pick. lol

We needed a DT last year.... we drafted one last year.

This year we needed a  WR and well!!

Hey, if the guy plays good, then I'll be happy. I just like to see problems we have addressed.

I trust Rivera and company when it comes to defense and defensive players.   If they believe Ealy can help us..  then I fully trust them.

Everybody thinks we are going to lose a DE next year. We would be wise not to. Ealy has a lot to learn about pass rushing and one year might not be enough time. Hardy broke out in year 3 after a disappointing second year. You saw an attitude change coincide with his success. We shouldn't give Ealy the job if he hasn't earned it yet.

We needed a QB in 2011..... we drafted one with our first pick. lol

We needed a DT last year.... we drafted one last year.

This year we needed a WR and well!!

Hey, if the guy plays good, then I'll be happy. I just like to see problems we have addressed.

those were also BPA.

I know ya don't understand. Nor do you care to.

people keep on spouting this poo, but they don't give any real answers for how we are going to address those needs, esp. OT.

company line: the answer is on the roster or gettleman knowz what he's doing, but what exactly is he doing to make a bad line better?

Do u even watch the panthers? Do u not notice how frequently we rotate guys on the dl? He may not be depthed as a starter but he will play plenty of snaps.

Its also possible hes actually better than cj and hardy and earns a starting spot. (As unlikely that sounds, the possibility exists).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

This is a great point to make. The reason our defense was so successful thru all 4 quarters is because our DL stays fresh. I also think that was the main reason we lost all those 4th quarter games about 2 years back. DL got tired and got gashed by the opponents run game. 

I see too many people here looking for instant gratification, as if anyone you draft in the 1st two rounds has to be an instant starter. Rookies who start are either very, very good and NFL ready, or you have no legit starter and you're desperate- or both. Drafting a player to be a starter down the road, after seasoning and/or the departure of the current starter, is not a dumb move. It's a smart one. Hopefully Ealy's reported attitude is a non-issue and he turns out to be a steal. Personally I feel better about his talent level than I do Benjamin's, but bottom line I'll keep trusting Gettleman as long as he has a high winning % on draft picks.

2 people like this