hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

https://www.profootb...kdown-by-downs/

2nd-Down-2.png

Newton ranks 6th to last on 2nd down, but he was near the top for 3rd down and was the best rated passer on 4th down.  

One of the major storylines in Carolina last year was head coach Ron Rivera’s fourth down aggressiveness and Cam Newton made the most of it to lead the league with a +2.7 grade on his six attempts.

Just found this interesting...it's just weird because he was solid on all other downs except 2nd down?

#2 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

I blame it on crappy OL, crappy WRs, and a coordinator that had a hard time getting around those facts.

At the end of the day I'll take good 3rd/4th downs any day.

Chud was good on 1st/ 2nd down, sucked when it mattered. Shula does the opposite

#3 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

A whole lot of failed first down run attempts set up a whole lot of obvious passing second downs.

Also, look at his time to throw. One of the worst. It takes forever for Shula's passing plays to develop, as witnessed all season long.

#4 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,914 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

https://www.profootb...kdown-by-downs/

Newton ranks 6th to last on 2nd down, but he was near the top for 3rd down and was the best rated passer on 4th down.  

Just found this interesting...it's just weird because he was solid on all other downs except 2nd down?

If I'm being completely honest, I think it's just overanalysis on their part.

I'd wager a good deal of those results are probably just circumstantial.  When you go so far as to break it down by down or distance or whatever, you might gain some minor insight but I don't think you learn anything special. 

A guy is either a good passer or he isn't.

#5 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,254 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

Shula

#6 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

A whole lot of failed first down run attempts set up a whole lot of obvious passing second downs.

this.

with a struggling run game, second down was treated like 3rd long by defenses.

Edited by nosuchthingasapanther, 02 June 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#7 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

If I'm being completely honest, I think it's just overanalysis on their part.

I'd wager a good deal of those results are probably just circumstantial.  When you go so far as to break it down by down or distance or whatever, you might gain some minor insight but I don't think you learn anything special. 

A guy is either a good passer or he isn't.

Also, look at his time to throw. One of the worst. It takes forever for Shula's passing plays to develop, as witnessed all season long.

These are both definitely true.  I'm also wondering about the quality of the statistics because they cited Cam as only having 1 drop on 4th down, but I can remember two drops on 4th down in the Arizona game alone.  What these statistics show though was Cam was one of the best QB's in the NFL in crunch time and that matters a lot more than being good on early downs.  It was just a weird aberration considering how good he was statistically on other downs.

#8 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,651 posts

I don't think that speaks to anything more than just fluky statistics. Maybe someone could break it down and that would coincide with some of the ineffective long ball attempts.

#9 SuperJTheGreat

SuperJTheGreat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Shula was statistically the worst play caller on 2nd down.

#10 yosemiteben

yosemiteben

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

Might not be good football, but sure made the 3rd and 4th downs more interesting, right?  

#11 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,672 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

Darth-Vader-Nooooo.jpg

#12 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

aw man now my summer is ruined :/

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

#13 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,367 posts

On the first part I agree.  We showed a lot of predictability running the ball on 1st down.

The second part, Cam actually had respectable time to throw.   Also Shula gives a lot more short intermediate routes than Chudzinski ever did (whether you believe that can be the problem is another story).   The blame can be spread around however.  Cam needs to be more accurate, receivers need to not only get open but catch the balls,  play calling needs to better, O line needs to block better etc...

#14 Right Hand Arm Man

Right Hand Arm Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • LocationFlailing my way through Life

Everyone is at fault except for Cam Newton.

#15 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

Eh. You're not going to be great in every area (regardless of how/ why things didn't happen on second downs). 

Sometimes these things are just statistical anomalies, unless they become established year to year trends. 

Edited by FootballMaestro, 02 June 2014 - 01:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com