59 replies to this topic

#37 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

The NBA has to get it's poo together. Stuff like this combined with the draft lottery, there's little real competition anymore.

Silver has his work cut out for him.

#38 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• LocationRaleigh
SUPPORTER

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Maybe they'll eventually put a "cap" on how many guys you can have making a certain percentage of the salary cap? LIke, no more than 2 players making 25% or more of your cap (arbitrary numbers I'm just throwing out). If you want 2 max guys, go for it. If superstars want to continue teaming up, they're going to have to do so while taking drastic paycuts. 

#39 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

HUDDLER

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

Exactly, people don't want to think it will work but it certainly would.

With a soft cap they can go over as long as they aren't in the luxury tax which is like $78 million or something.

You cant go over the soft cap to sign free agents, thats like the only thing the soft cap does. Well that and gives you a smaller mid-level and makes trades more difficult.  There is no way a hard cap would have stopped them from signing with Miami back in 2010 and theres no way it would stop this potential Melo signing. 

In fact, the soft cap helps teams that build through the draft and make savvy trades by letting them keep players already on the team.  Without the soft cap teams like the Thunder and Spurs would have a much harder time keeping their teams together (not that the Thunder care b/c their owner is cheap, but still)

#40 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

HUDDLER

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

Want to know how you could really stop this? Instead of limiting spending, open it up. 

If you double the max contract limit, how many stars are going to take massive paycuts to play together?  Its one thing to take a $5 million paycut, quite another to turn down an extra $15 million

#41 MichaelNewtonII

MichaelNewtonII

NBA ANALYST

• LocationESPN Studios
HUDDLER

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

LeBron and Melo Teammates in 2015-16?:

Stephen A Smith was misquoted. He explains what really could happen here. ^^

Sent from my SGH-M919 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#42 PantherGuy

PantherGuy

• LocationCharlotte, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Agree with everyone else saying they'd be done with the NBA if this happened. I hate the way the Heat control things now. I couldn't take it if Melo were added to the fold.

#43 MichaelNewtonII

MichaelNewtonII

NBA ANALYST

• LocationESPN Studios
HUDDLER

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Agree with everyone else saying they'd be done with the NBA if this happened. I hate the way the Heat control things now. I couldn't take it if Melo were added to the fold.

watch the video I posted. All this info you guys are talking about was misquoted

#44 PantherGuy

PantherGuy

• LocationCharlotte, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

watch the video I posted. All this info you guys are talking about was misquoted

where's the video?

#45 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia
HUDDLER

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

You cant go over the soft cap to sign free agents, thats like the only thing the soft cap does. Well that and gives you a smaller mid-level and makes trades more difficult. There is no way a hard cap would have stopped them from signing with Miami back in 2010 and theres no way it would stop this potential Melo signing.

In fact, the soft cap helps teams that build through the draft and make savvy trades by letting them keep players already on the team. Without the soft cap teams like the Thunder and Spurs would have a much harder time keeping their teams together (not that the Thunder care b/c their owner is cheap, but still)

There are tons of excepts to that.

I.E re-signing your own free agents (bird rights).

And I'm pretty sure you can go over the cap to sign free agents because that's exactly what Brooklyn did last year.

#46 MichaelNewtonII

MichaelNewtonII

NBA ANALYST

• LocationESPN Studios
HUDDLER

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

where's the video?

#47 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

HUDDLER

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

I like the Heat and the idea of this just makes me shake my head.

#48 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

HUDDLER

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

There are tons of excepts to that.

I.E re-signing your own free agents (bird rights).

And I'm pretty sure you can go over the cap to sign free agents because that's exactly what Brooklyn did last year.

But if you have bird rights on a player, that player still counts against the cap.

Lets say Lebron and Wade opt out of their contracts this summer- Miami doesnt just get a bunch of cap space right away.  Their bird rights still count against the cap (around the amount they were paid the previous season), so they cant go out and sign Melo then resign their own guys using bird rights.

The only way you can really get away with it is if you have a player just coming off his rookie deal who is about to get a big extension, then his bird rights number might be $10 million less than he will get on his next contract.

The only way you can sign free agents when you are over the cap is to use the mid-level exception, which is around $5 million or so (which I think gets cut in half if you are over the luxury tax).  Brooklyn didnt sign any big free agents last summer, they just traded for them or did a sign-and-trades for them.  Which is why Brooklyn is missing like 5 1st round picks over the next decade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users