• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are y'all grilling/smoking with ??

Mayor Qumiby

49 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

My dad got one about a year ago. I'm thoroughly unimpressed.

Almost any suburban neighborhood gathering will have variations folks trying to make "Traeger" a verb.

It's just a pellet smoker. Recteq, Green Mountain, Daniel Boone, Weber, and others... they all cook with pellets pretty much the same way, and for way less $.  Have heard good things about the newest Weber pellet cooker update vs their 1.0 model.

But Traeger has marketing clout to make it seem like they're the only ones in the market. They've taken over Home Depot and pushed Weber down the aisle a smidge, for example -- which likely costs them a bit of inventory floorplan marketing money to do. 

But if you go to a dedicated BBQ grill store that caters to hardcore cooking people? You won't see any Traegers anywhere

7 hours ago, SuperBowlBound said:

First timer here.Anything else you suggest accessory wise that a beginner should have? 

Doesn't matter what you're cooking or how you're cooking it.

The #1 recommendation (which I alluded to earlier) is to get at least one quality digital meat thermometer and a temperature chart that covers as many different items as possible.  Don't trust anything other than the thermometer until you have hundreds (thousands?) of cooks under your belt to go by gut or a finger test.

If you do nothing else, cooking your food to the correct desired temperature will increase the quality of your eating tremendously.

If you haven't been temping your food, you'd be surprised at the difference between chicken at 155 degrees ("chef temp") vs waiting until it's at USDA-approved 165 before you pull it off the grill.  Or how fast a rare filet mignon can jump to medium if you're not careful.

(Ex: A friend was grilling chicken and was just going by eye as to whether to pull the chicken off or not.  Every piece I temped was at 180-200. WAY overcooked, but he didn't know)

https://blog.thermoworks.com/chicken/3-keys-to-perfect-chicken-breasts/

19 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

Keep in mind that a Traeger (well, pellet cookers in general) are more like an oven with smoke flavor rather than a traditional smoker. You're not going to get massive smoke from any pellet vs a dedicated smoker -- the food will still be good, but if you're looking for a heavy smoke profile you may be disappointed.

You also are unlikely to get any decent "grilling" on a pellet cooker. You may want to check out GrillGrates for anything that needs a post-smoke sear

Appreciate the information! I’m a legit first timer so I probably won’t do traditional smoking for a bit. I’ll definitely look into the thermometer. First cook will be a pork butt Saturday. Doing the first burn tonight. I think I’ve got everything else taken care of. 

2 hours ago, SuperBowlBound said:

Appreciate the information! I’m a legit first timer so I probably won’t do traditional smoking for a bit. I’ll definitely look into the thermometer. First cook will be a pork butt Saturday. Doing the first burn tonight. I think I’ve got everything else taken care of. 

The important thing is to enjoy what you're doing. Some advice (like using a thermometer, or ways to utilize a piece of grilling equipment) is practical and can apply to everyone.

There are lots of different BBQ/grilling websites to reference to grow your own knowledge and skill.

Bookmark the AmazingRibs.com one for sure - Meathead and crowd are similar to Kenji's writing on SeriousEats.com in terms of trying to break down the science behind why various foods cook a certain way. Get rid of the myths that have been passed down from 1950's Backyard Grilling Dad to 1960's Backyard Grilling Dad (etc) that have since been proven to not always be the best advice

• Beer 1

On 9/27/2023 at 6:24 AM, SuperBowlBound said:

Howd things turn out?