Could Joel Embiid Fall to No.9?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#11 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

One of the problems is that stress fractures which are created by over use or weakened bones, in athletes in track and field and basketball or other running and jumping sports, run a risk of being recurring injuries.  That risk goes up even more when you are talking about big men.

That is another reason why this is so risky.  He may not have much of a career.

It is however, possible that that he heals and is fine and has a career with no problems.

The risk is drafting a guy that never really plays or has to have minutes and practice time managed to prevent over use of his feet.

I don't know.  I just would be scared to take this guy in the top 10.  once you get to 14/15 then you have to consider risk reward.  But in top 10 there are good players with less risk.

Edited by teeray, 20 June 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#12 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

Having said all that, I think someone will draft him before us.  We haven't even had our team doctors look at him either.  Sometimes you can tell if a person is likely to have these be a recurring problem, so hopefully our team doctors are on top of it..

If we do draft him I will hope for the best though.

Edited by teeray, 20 June 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#13 Chuckie

Chuckie

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

So the guy has already had back issues and now foot issues. Why would anyone want this guy in the first round. Doesn't matter how much talent a person has if they are hurt all the time. All of ya'll preaching that this is a sure fire can't miss player are about to eat crow bc he will not amount to much more then a journeyman due to injuries. Ya'll never think about someone jumping to the NBA to get paid before getting hurt.

#14 Matthias

Matthias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Cleveland's doctors already examined him right?  If they pass on him, we need to do the same.

#15 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

I think I'd be willing to take the chance assuming none of the other guys fall to us. Having said that I don't think he makes it to #9

#16 MCC

MCC

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

Definitely would take him at #9.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#17 Chuckie

Chuckie

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

He 20 years old and has already broken his back and foot all in the same year. I don't see how he is NBA ready or even shown that he is anything more then a D League player given that he not even finished 1 year in college ball due to injuries. He made the jump trying to get paid before all the issues popped up but was busted before he could sign a contract. The types of injuries he's had has killed the careers of far better and more accomplished players. Someone may take a stab at him but it will be a career risk pick. Don't be surprised if he goes undrafted.

#18 Chuckie

Chuckie

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

Just to add on one more thing when all you have done to show your healthy is play a 1 on 0 game and be considered as a top pick is strongly misguided. According to that logic I should be drafted in the top 10.

#19 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

He 20 years old and has already broken his back and foot all in the same year. I don't see how he is NBA ready or even shown that he is anything more then a D League player given that he not even finished 1 year in college ball due to injuries. He made the jump trying to get paid before all the issues popped up but was busted before he could sign a contract. The types of injuries he's had has killed the careers of far better and more accomplished players. Someone may take a stab at him but it will be a career risk pick. Don't be surprised if he goes undrafted.

He won't go undrafted. Even for all the fear mongering I just did, there is also a good chance he fully heals.

But still there is a distinct chance this is a recurring issue and he has no real career at all.

Our Drs would need to do their homework on this guy and review his feet closely before investing millions on him.

I still believe he will be off the board by 9 because other teams will review his medical also. If he has a good prognosis he will be gone. If he doesn't we should avoid him also.

Either way I don't see him being a Hornet.

Edited by teeray, 20 June 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#20 Chuckie

Chuckie

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

But the thing is, he limited his information to the top 3 teams I believe. This gives others no chance to really get a good picture of where the guy is health wise and he can't travel to teams before the draft to be evaluated by a team doctor. All the information that comes from his camp in the past and in the future is considered questionable at best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users