* - - - - 1 votes

Make or break year for Shula (I hope)

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#41 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

But we weren't above average. We were a below average offense.

my point was it doesn't matter how good or bad an offense is, it will usually struggles against an elite defense.

Again, I'm not quitting on Shula yet because he really didn't have a lot to work with. But if we want to contend for and win some superbowls (which is the ultimate goal) we are going to have to be dominant in either passing or rushing. Seattle and San Fran both were ranked 3rd and 4th (respectively) in rushing and their QB wasn't the one with most of their rushing yards. Hopefully Shula can open the playbook up more now that our offense is getting healthier.

now this i can agree with.

with all the moaning and groaning about shula, you'd think the panthers went 4-12 last season instead of 12-4. the issue with the offense overall is there's no threat outside of newton. as much as people want to paint him as all world, the offense has to have an identity to compliment him. teams aren't stacking the box and daring him to throw like they did his rookie season. he's the focal point of opposing defenses, and until carolina has a true rushing attack (hello double trouble where are you???) or a dominant wide receiver (kelvin Benjamin...knock on wood) to draw some of the attention off him, the offense is going to remain an ugly one man show.

#42 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

Considering what Chud was doing for 2 years U'd think us fans would be nothing but happy to see his polar opposite calling plays for us (Shula).

I had some issues with his playcalling but I see a lot of benefit to what we were doing on offense, especially given the lack of talent on the line and at the wideout position.

#43 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

HUDDLER

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

my point was it doesn't matter how good or bad an offense is, it will usually struggles against an elite defense.

now this i can agree with.

with all the moaning and groaning about shula, you'd think the panthers went 4-12 last season instead of 12-4. the issue with the offense overall is there's no threat outside of newton. as much as people want to paint him as all world, the offense has to have an identity to compliment him. teams aren't stacking the box and daring him to throw like they did his rookie season. he's the focal point of opposing defenses, and until carolina has a true rushing attack (hello double trouble where are you???) or a dominant wide receiver (kelvin Benjamin...knock on wood) to draw some of the attention off him, the offense is going to remain an ugly one man show.

Seeing Cam single handedly win games puts a big creepy pedosmile on me.

#44 panthers123

panthers123

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

So those terrible wide receivers of ours are still on the market right?

Sent from the Carolina Huddle App

Pretty much all the WRs we lost are now a WR3 on their new team. That definitely says something about what Shula had to work with in the passing game. The running game sucked too because the OL wasnt generating the lanes for our RB. He did a pretty good job with what we had. We have some good pieces in Cam, Olsen, Kalil, and Gross but the rest of the offense was pretty poor. The OL did their job in pass protection but sucked in the run game. The pass game was pretty much all on Cam and Olsen

#45 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

This is a bit deceptive. The elite defense means they don't have to score as much so they will spend more time running down the clock. That doesn't mean their offense is below average. It merely means they don't have to try as hard because they are good in so many different areas. Teams like the colts and saints need to constantly push the offense because they dont have support from their defense.

so why does the same concept of it being acceptable to not have to score as much because of having an elite defense not apply to the panthers?

i've watched plenty of seattle games to see that they are (with the exception of have a true rushing attack) are a mirror image of the panthers...even down to wilson bailing out the offense in clutch situations just like newton does for the panthers.

Edited by nosuchthingasapanther, 25 June 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#46 MedellinHeel

MedellinHeel

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

Shula has never had a good offense. 

Always been too conservative and lacks imagination. 

I am amazed that people can defend this man. 

#47 panthers123

panthers123

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

so why does the same concept of it being acceptable to not have to score as much because of having an elite defense not apply to the panthers?

i've watched plenty of seattle games to see that they are (with the exception of have a true rushing attack) are a mirror image of the panthers...even down to wilson bailing out the offense in clutch situations just like newton does for the panthers.

O it definitely applies to the panthers too. Our D was so good that the offense didn't have to push the ball. That is why Shula shouldnt get as much hate as he does. Shula is average to good in my opinion.  

#48 Mojo

Mojo

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationPasadena, CA
HUDDLER

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

Wanting to improve in a specific area I don't think should really qualify as "moaning and groaning".  The great teams always try to improve in their weaker areas.   No one''s saying he's the worst OC in the history of football but his playcalling is suspect more times than not, IMO.

#49 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

Wanting to improve in a specific area I don't think should really qualify as "moaning and groaning".  The great teams always try to improve in their weaker areas.   No one''s saying he's the worst OC in the history of football but his playcalling is suspect more times than not, IMO.

so was chudzinski's playcalling...and he produced a top 10 offense.

i had more wtf headscratching experiences with chud than with shula.

Edited by nosuchthingasapanther, 25 June 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#50 MedellinHeel

MedellinHeel

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

so was chudzinski's playcalling...and he produced a top 10 offense.

i had more wtf headscratching experiences with chud than with shula.

thats because with sula you know exactly what is coming

run 

run or short pass

long developing pass play on 3rd and short

punt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users