Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

long term deal for hardy was never in the plans

91 posts in this topic

Posted

Since it’ll be reported as news the next 20 hrs — the #Panthers are not going to give Hardy a long-term deal b4 deadline. Never planned to.

July 14, 2014

Posted

I don't understand why we franchised him if we didn't plan to sign him long term or try to trade him. Everyone points to the RB contracts and Beason as limiting our cap mobility, but that Hardy tag is HUGE this year. We may just be setting ourselves up to get Julius'd again.

6 people like this

Posted

I don't understand why we franchised him if we didn't plan to sign him long term or try to trade him. Everyone points to the RB contracts and Beason as limiting our cap mobility, but that Hardy tag is HUGE this year. We may just be setting ourselves up to get Julius'd again.

I am sure the Boston Boss has a plan.  No worries.

Posted

the entire secondary is being overhauled. keep the line as is even if it is at a premium to minimize the damage to one of the best defenses in the league.

5 people like this

Posted

Release the kraken

Literally 

4 people like this

Posted

Consider it a one year rental while they train a replacement.  They were stoked to get Kony Ealy.  We've seen the negative effects of what big long term deals can do to a team if they don't pan out.  Hardy is still pretty young and has a handful of good seasons ahead of him if he stays out of trouble, but is it worth the risk/price?  NFL teams are pretty fluid...you have to have guys waiting in the wings at all positions to stay competitive.  

1 person likes this

Posted

the entire secondary is being overhauled. keep the line as is even if it is at a premium to minimize the damage to one of the best defenses in the league.

Might have been able to improve that secondary quite a bit with that $13M though.  Or how about the OL?  Or the WR corps?

I just don't see the end game of franchising Hardy if he's not in the long-term plans.

1 person likes this

Posted

Might have been able to improve that secondary quite a bit with that $13M though.  Or how about the OL?  Or the WR corps?

I just don't see the end game of franchising Hardy if he's not in the long-term plans.

continuity can be just as or even more effective than throwing money at outside big names to fix holes.

based on what the team is trying to do overall, it makes sense...even if we as fans don't agree with it.

Posted

continuity can be just as or even more effective than throwing money at outside big names to fix holes.

based on what the team is trying to do overall, it makes sense...even if we as fans don't agree with it.

If we have another winning season and playoff berth, then I'll say it was worth it.  If history repeats itself and we fail to have our first consecutive winning seasons, then I'll still be saying that Hardy tag was a big reason as to why.  I was onboard with the Hardy signing when I thought it was just buying us time to negotiate a long-term deal.  Then again, maybe that was our plan and that got changed by Hardy's little stunt.  It's easy to say that had no impact, but we can't know that for sure.  We certainly were trying to negotiate long-term prior to tagging him, so I'm not buying this report.