Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have drop back quarterbacks been exposed?

125 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Are you sure it's not already happening and you're just ignoring it. The college game is centered mostly around dual threat QBs. In fact, a QB have to be sold as mobile to be considered in the 1st round these days. I don't think you're paying attention. Pay attention to the QBs drafted in the last few years since Cam and those that will be drafted drafted high the next few years.

Are you telling me that if Manning 1 and Rivers were sitting there they wouldn't be drafted in the 1st?

Yes, the first couple years in the NFL are a bit easier for a mobile QB, however if he can't hit the back shoulder he won't be around long.  QB's that run and can't pass are like pros that putt for pars, and dogs that chase cars....they just won't be around long.

Posted · Report post

Before Russell Wilson, who can pass really well, superbowl champions are guys like Flacco, Manning, Brees, Brady, and other Manning. I think immobile, pass first guys are doing ok too.

Posted · Report post

Give me a QB that throws for 5500 yards 60 tds and runs for 2000 yards and 15 tds.

Posted · Report post

Before Russell Wilson, who can pass really well, superbowl champions are guys like Flacco, Manning, Brees, Brady, and other Manning. I think immobile, pass first guys are doing ok too.

Big Ben is conveniently missing

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Big Ben is conveniently missing

Ah yes, I forgot the "mobile" Ben Roethlisberger who rushed for over 200 yards once in his career.

Posted · Report post

Are you sure it's not already happening and you're just ignoring it. The college game is centered mostly around dual threat QBs. In fact, a QB have to be sold as mobile to be considered in the 1st round these days. I don't think you're paying attention. Pay attention to the QBs drafted in the last few years since Cam and those that will be drafted drafted high the next few years.

Quite sure.  The guys who can run but never turn into effective passers come in with flash but fade very quickly.

Pay attention to the QBs that have long term success rather than just make nice highlight reels for a few years then disappear.

As others have mentioned, pretty much all the elite QBs in the NFL are still passers first. 

You can wish for it all you want but it's not gonna happen.

Posted · Report post

Then haplo e should be very worried when cam is in his thirties and plays from the pocket 98% of the time. We don't want another McNair. That guy got abused.

Bottom line, both can be very successful

Posted · Report post

Are you telling me that if Manning 1 and Rivers were sitting there they wouldn't be drafted in the 1st?

Yes, the first couple years in the NFL are a bit easier for a mobile QB, however if he can't hit the back shoulder he won't be around long.  QB's that run and can't pass are like pros that putt for pars, and dogs that chase cars....they just won't be around long.

We're debating dual threat QBs, not RBs running the triple option. If you can't admit that there is a gradual change going on with the QB position then I can't answer your question. It was easy to pick guys like Quinn, Sanchez, Gabbert, etc. early in the 1st round but these days they're being talked as 3rd rounders. Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. are remnants of the successful immobile QBs. A system have been created for them for years to maintain their success. And most of those successes came by them playing against other immobile QBs. Now they have to contend against QB who keeps the chain moving with their arms and legs. Cam can throw for 4000 yards as well as anyone in the league but he'll add another 600 on the ground as a bonus.

Posted · Report post

We're debating dual threat QBs, not RBs running the triple option. If you can't admit that there is a gradual change going on with the QB position then I can't answer your question. It was easy to pick guys like Quinn, Sanchez, Gabbert, etc. early in the 1st round but these days they're being talked as 3rd rounders. Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. are remnants of the successful immobile QBs. A system have been created for them for years to maintain their success. And most of those successes came by them playing against other immobile QBs. Now they have to contend against QB who keeps the chain moving with their arms and legs. Cam can throw for 4000 yards as well as anyone in the league but he'll add another 600 on the ground as a bonus.

Dude, one "Mobile" quarterback has won a superbowl. Drop back passers aren't remnants. As long as a guy is good at throwing, there will be a place in this league. Of the dual threat quarterbacks in the league, Kaepernick, Griffin, and Vick took major steps back last year. The only two who didn't were Cam and Wilson because they throw it well consistently.

Running is awesome, but throwing is 90% of playing quarterback.

Posted · Report post

Quite sure.  The guys who can run but never turn into effective passers come in with flash but fade very quickly.

Pay attention to the QBs that have long term success rather than just make nice highlight reels for a few years then disappear.

As others have mentioned, pretty much all the elite QBs in the NFL are still passers first. 

You can wish for it all you want but it's not gonna happen.

Well, I'll let you determine who is elite or not. But, if you pay attention you'll notice that dual threat QBs are overrepresented in the playoffs. Off my head, as dual threat QBs we have Cam, RG3, Kapaernick, Wilson, Geno, Manuel. Four outta those 6 have been in the playoffs the last couple of years and 2 have played in the super bowl and 1 have won a super bowl. Out of 32 teams, that's a good Vegas odd right there. Rodgers and Manning didn't look exactly elite in those playoffs either. Anybody can throw for a bunch of yards when you have 2-3 number 1 type receiver on your line up and call yourself elite. Things can get dicey when you can't control the game on your own, Peyton found that out the hard way.

Posted · Report post

Dude, one "Mobile" quarterback has won a superbowl. Drop back passers aren't remnants. As long as a guy is good at throwing, there will be a place in this league. Of the dual threat quarterbacks in the league, Kaepernick, Griffin, and Vick took major steps back last year. The only two who didn't were Cam and Wilson because they throw it well consistently.

Running is awesome, but throwing is 90% of playing quarterback.

The immobile QBs are over represented in the league that's why they were by default winning super bowls. It wasn't because they were superior. Kaepernick was only in the division game last year, what a step back. Griffin was coming off ACL surgery and Vick got injured and is old. The era of bad QBs playing against each other and winning super bowls is approaching an end. It was good while it lasted. I will say this again, Cam can throw for 4000+ yards like anyone else in the league but he'll give you 600 rushing yards as a bonus.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The immobile QBs are over represented in the league that's why they were by default winning super bowls. It wasn't because they were superior. Kaepernick was only in the division game last year, what a step back. Griffin was coming off ACL surgery and Vick got injured and is old. The era of bad QBs playing against each other and winning super bowls is approaching an end. It was good while it lasted. I will say this again, Cam can throw for 4000+ yards like anyone else in the league but he'll give you 600 rushing yards as a bonus.

Haha, well it's nice that we can move past the dark period of the nfl that nobody cared about. Kaepernick's defense carried him this year. He had a bad year and would have put up a losing record if not for a top 5 defense. EJ manuel isn't very good, Jake Locker isn't very good, and Griffin wasn't very good this year. Plus, they all got hurt. Geno Smith isn't good at running or passing.

Like I said, running is nice, but throwing is 90% of the game.