• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lab Mix dogs

methodtoll

Hey yall! So recently my family had to put down our 15 year old Beagle, Seger due to underlying health problems and it probably was one of the hardest things to do for our small family. My wife and I got him when we got married as a puppy.

All that said,  A family member on wife's side has a dog who just had two puppies. We are not sure on as to what breed they are but I am fairly certain that it is partially Lab. 

My question, has anyone ever had a lab mix and what are your thoughts on them? Do they make good family pets? Good with kids? 

Any feedback would be great!

Our current lab mix is one of the most loving family dogs we have ever had. She literally loves everyone in the family.  That being said, not sure I would get another one. She was super high energy for the first 12.5 years, and my back yard looks like an artilary practice range. Now at 14, she is suffering from hip issues. 

• Pie 1

only experience i had living with one was a roommate had one as a puppy and it tore everything apart. of course he said he picked the most hyper one of the litter because he thought it meant it would be smarter. 

and then he left it inside for hours on end while he went to school, work, and then hung out with his fiance. 

i wasn't unhappy when he got married and moved out with the dog. 

i'm sure others have had a better experience than me.

• Pie 2

We've had a pure bred black lab, Frankie, who we had from 6 weeks to 14 years. No kids involved, but she got wilderness trail time every day to the tune of 3-4 miles. She also had free use of our in-ground pool during the season and she was nowhere close to being hyper. I think it was because she got all the exercise she wanted and also had the calmness of 2 adults as her family.

We have 2 now who are mixed, but have lab in them and neither of them were that destructive at a young age. But, again, no kids around and they both get the same trail exercise Mon-Fri and the local dog park on Sat & Sun where they have a usual crew of 8-10 regulars they run and play with for 3-4 hours. 

Bottom line- make sure they get the exercise they need and their demeanor is a direct reflection of their owner(s) and family.

• Pie 1

My neighbors have two lab mix and they are sweet but a bit crazy.  They tore up my neighbor yard.  They start chilling out a bit after hitting ripe age of 3.

If you are willing to spend $3k on dog training.  You can get whatever breed you want.

• Pie 1

Lab mix is probably good with kids. Been thinking about getting a chocolate lab in a few years. Our 14 year old Aussie actually passed away today, really hard losing a long time member of your family for sure

• Pie 1

Honestly, it's all going to depend on the individual dog's temperament.  It goes without saying but all dogs have different personalities.  Labs have been great family dogs for a long time so they probably will end up being great dogs so long as you love on them. 😃

Kinda depends on what it is mixed with. Traits don't breed true once they begin mixing them. You might end up with a Lab-looking dog that doesn't retrieve or love water or be good with families. Or you could end up with one that is even better at one or all of those things. It's really a roll of the dice.

When it comes to dogs, we stick with purebreds from reputable AKC breeders. 

Thanks for all the responses... At this time, we decided to hold off. My wife is starting a new job soon (will be remote) but wants to get in a routine before getting another dog. Eventually we will get one again though.