Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General OL Question

15 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

with all the talk about the Panther's offensive line concerns, i am wondering what exactly the job of the offensive line is to do. i understand that they block for the QB and RBs. But is their main concern simply protection? or are they supposed to be driving the DL down the field? in other words... is the OL the "defense" of the offense? or are they just as active in advancing the ball as the rest of the offense?

forgive me if this is a football 101 question. ive never played the game on any sort of organized team so my ignorance in things like this is pretty high

Posted · Report post

In a nutshell...

On pass plays, keep people from getting to the passer.

On run plays, push people out of the way of the rusher.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

In a nutshell...

In other words, the complete opposite of what Bell does.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

In a nutshell...

in other words, its only necessary to push the opposing DL downfield during running plays? on passing plays, the OL acts as a "defense" of sorts for the QB...

Posted · Report post

in other words, its only necessary to push the opposing DL downfield during running plays? on passing plays, the OL acts as a "defense" of sorts for the QB...

Not just "necessary" actually.

By rule, offensive linemen are not allowed to go past the line of scrimmage on a pass play until the pass is thrown.  When you hear a ref call a  penalty for "ineligible receiver downfield" it's because one of the linemen crossed the line of scrimmage too soon.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

By rule, offensive linemen are not allowed to go past the line of scrimmage on a pass play until the pass is thrown.  When you hear a ref call a  penalty for "ineligible receiver downfield" it's because one of the linemen crossed the line of scrimmage too soon.

thank you! i finally understand that penalty now. ive never understood how a lineman could be considered a receiver but now i get it. so how many "eligible receivers" is a team allowed to have per play?

Posted · Report post

thank you! i finally understand that penalty now. ive never understood how a lineman could be considered a receiver but now i get it. so how many "eligible receivers" is a team allowed to have per play?

You have to have at least five offensive linemen and a quarterback.  Anyone else can be eligible.  There are certain 'tackle eligible' formations but they're pretty rare.

Back when I first started high school, guys sometimes had to notify a ref that they were eligible (they changed the rules the following season and that didn't apply anymore).  I believe there are times in the NFL when something like that takes place.

If you wanna read up on it, here are two great print sources.  I own and have read both and would recommend them to anyone:

Football for Dummies by Howie Long

Play Football the NFL Way by Tom Bass

If you only want to master the basics, Howie Long's book is probably all you need, but I highly recommend the book by Tom Bass as well.  If you ever want to get really deep, check out the AFCA books on offensive and defensive strategies.

(yes, I've read them, but I'm a football addict) :unsure:

There are good online sources for 'Football 101' type knowledge too, but books are still my favorite method (yes, I'm old) :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

thanks Scot! this has really helped! :)

Posted · Report post

haha think maybe now i could go apply for a job as an analyst for ESPN?! ;)

Posted · Report post

Worth a shot :lol:

And no problem.  I'm always happy to answer Football 101 type questions when I see 'em.

Forty plus years of playing, coaching and watching football should be useful for something, right?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

By rule, offensive linemen are not allowed to go past the line of scrimmage on a pass play until the pass is thrown. When you hear a ref call a penalty for "ineligible receiver downfield" it's because one of the linemen crossed the line of scrimmage too soon.

I thought it was 5 yards

Posted · Report post

On running plays the DL is usually the first group the OL has to block. But let's say a linebacker is in between two DL trying to blitz, that would be a reason an OL would block a LB, to drive him out of the way. Also, some running plays are designed so that some lineman slightly "chip" a DLineman, like a quick push, to help the OL next to him get good position on the DL. Once this is accomplished, the original OL can go to the " next level" which is usually the linebackers and on really successful plays the secondary.

Pretty confusing without a visual, but the OL are important because they block anyone trying to come in at the ball handler, whether a RB or QB. They make a lane and provide a path to the end zone for RBs and a pocket for QBs. RBs and QB can be as talented as ever, but if they don't even get a chance to make a play because the whole defense is on there ass, well its doesn't matter how good they are. As gettleman says, "big men allow you to compete", and I completely agree. Same goes for the defensive side of the ball, but that's a whole different lesson lol
1 person likes this