Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPDATED: AI to sign with Grizz

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Its not that easy man. Yall gotta understand, the NBA is not like the NFL, the NBA players union is more powerful and the players have almost total control over where they will be employed. Bob Johnson has NEVER made basketball decisions for this franchise EVER. When Bernie was here, he did, and now MJ does, so why are you telling Bob Johnson to put up or shut up when he's probably vacationing in France or something. It wont be his call.

Lets look at what AI will bring...

-bandwagon fans who will jump on board because we have a washed up "star" player

-more scoring and FT attempts

-more national visibility

Lets look at what AI wont bring

-unconditional leadership

-defense (we will go from being strong at the 2 guard spot defensively to having to hide AI and hope the other team wont capitalize)

-someone who's willing to come off the bench to help his team if need be

You can look at the last 2 situations AI was in and see dude does NOT make teams better. He's a volume shooter, albeit a Hall Of Fame one, but a volume shooter none the less. He needs 30 shots to make an impact, always shoots a low percentage (like another guard we already have), and is a HUGE defensive liablity. I used to defend this guy back in the day, but after the Nugs and the Pistons situation its clear AI while a great player is not motivated to win championships and isnt willing to do WHATEVER it takes to win. Sure, we could bring him in and increse jersey sales for a year or two, but I just dont see it as being worth it. I'd rather we spend our cash on a younger player who has more upside than AI.

Posted · Report post

We didn't boot George Shinn out of town for nothing. It was stuff like this. The owner is known to be cheap so players go elsewhere.

AI at the same time should know that if you give a little, especially someone in his position, you get a lot in return. Working with your first and best NBA coach, playing for a great salary in a very nice city... priceless...

IDK

Posted · Report post

Its not that easy man. Yall gotta understand, the NBA is not like the NFL, the NBA players union is more powerful and the players have almost total control over where they will be employed. Bob Johnson has NEVER made basketball decisions for this franchise EVER. When Bernie was here, he did, and now MJ does, so why are you telling Bob Johnson to put up or shut up when he's probably vacationing in France or something. It wont be his call.

Lets look at what AI will bring...

-bandwagon fans who will jump on board because we have a washed up "star" player

-more scoring and FT attempts

-more national visibility

Lets look at what AI wont bring

-unconditional leadership

-defense (we will go from being strong at the 2 guard spot defensively to having to hide AI and hope the other team wont capitalize)

-someone who's willing to come off the bench to help his team if need be

You can look at the last 2 situations AI was in and see dude does NOT make teams better. He's a volume shooter, albeit a Hall Of Fame one, but a volume shooter none the less. He needs 30 shots to make an impact, always shoots a low percentage (like another guard we already have), and is a HUGE defensive liablity. I used to defend this guy back in the day, but after the Nugs and the Pistons situation its clear AI while a great player is not motivated to win championships and isnt willing to do WHATEVER it takes to win. Sure, we could bring him in and increse jersey sales for a year or two, but I just dont see it as being worth it. I'd rather we spend our cash on a younger player who has more upside than AI.

Larry Brown is basically putting his TEAM together. We have great players already. You need scorers that can put the ball in the hoop to get to the play offs. He is just one more. He is not the focus. It is a team. Larry Browns team.

If Johnson wanted this done it would be done. Yes it is basically about the money. The players union won't stand in the way of that. AI must shook you so hard you broke a knee cap or somethin' :D

Posted · Report post

For the record, as it now looks like he very well may be a Bobcat, I will welcome AI with open arms to Charlotte, NC if it is indeed true. But he's got a lot to prove this year IMO. I want to see more leadership from AI.

Posted · Report post

Indeed AI is more or less a fresh coat of paint instead of foundation stuff.

If he comes, share the pill, play some form of defense and tutor the next guy.

Posted · Report post

I love all the people here talking about Iverson like they know the man. I don't either, but I am not vouching for his character. I can say from what I have seen that AI has matured a TON since he entered the league and now recognizes that he has unfinished business with the coach that he didn't appreciate as much as he should have when he had him. After going through several coaching disasters, AI now knows that finding a truthful and honest coach that just wants you to play hard and earn your minutes and teach you the game is all you can ask for as a player.

Iverson's lack of "leadership" is being T-O-T-A-L-L-Y totally overblown. He is a leader by example. He plays harder than anybody in the game. He's the toughest pound for pound player in NBA history.

Even after being dismissed as having a terrible year last year, he still had 17.5 points per game.

All of this is likely moot anyways as the Grizzlies have made a strong offer for Iverson and made it formal. Both sides have confirmed its there. He'll be a Grizz by Monday.

Posted · Report post

Some people were saying this about Brown before he got here. Fact is, Brown is the best at what he does. Put your faith in Brown, give him time. Hopefully AI wont be a Grizz, I expect he wants to be a Bobcat, given the things that have been done to this team in the past 2 years. If AI does not work out, ok...we will get someone in here that provides that goto guy. It interesting what this makeover has done for the franchise.

Posted · Report post

So much for a done deal...

Posted · Report post

Its no done deal yet, right????

I dont see anywhere that AI signed with a team.

Posted · Report post

LOL at folks attributing any of this to Bob "someone please buy me out" Johnson

Posted · Report post

He'd make the money back in jersey sales alone.

Posted · Report post

larry brown would still sit him to play jeff mcinnis