Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tarheelpride

Too Dependent Upon Smith?

59 posts in this topic

Funny how the talking heads were all saying recently that they don't get it to Smitty OFTEN ENOUGH. If your best playmaker is in a position to make a play, I have no complaints going to him. He has 70, Moose 54, King and Rosario have 20 & 18 respectively.

Now, I WOULD like to see Williams more involved in the passing game. He has 22 receptions, but I don't think he has been as involved in the passing game as he could be.

DeAngelo Williams: 1229

Jonathan Stewart: 751

Steve Smith: 1240

Muhsin Muhammad: 764

Look at those four yardage stats and tell me we aren't a balanced offense. Not only is our passing game balanced with our running game, but look at just how close Williams' yards are with Smith's, and Stewart's with Moose's. Virtually identical.

Now, do I think we could benefit from spreading the ball around to the tight ends more? Sure, but only if other avenues--such as Smith--are not working. In the past, Jake has locked on to Smith a bit too much. When defenders swarm over him, Jake really didn't have any other options.

This year's different. We've got some good receivers behind Smith, but more than this we have a running game that absolutely must be accounted for.

That being said, we'd be stupid not to use Smith--arguably our greatest offensive weapon--to the fullest.

so pretty much bad timing on the question :(

Dude why would you pass to anyone else when Smitty is wide open? I think we're doing exactly what we need to.

who up here thinks delhomme is too dependent upon smith in the passing game?

don't get me wrong, smith is unworldly good, but i want delhomme to spread the ball around a bit more, get muhammed, the TE's, and some others some passes.

that's just my opinion.

Denver basically had Smith single Covered all day long, I thought I would never see that again and I wouldn't Blame Jake in a million years for throwing towards Smith when he's in Single coverage that's a TD waiting to happen.

If we don't use Smitty enough, the talking heads and fans will bash the coaching staff for wasting his talents and having a conservative ball-oriented offense.

If we use Smitty too much, the talking heads and fans will say on Jake that Smitty "bails him out" all the time and that we're not giving reps to the other receivers on the team, going back to the "feed the stud" mentality under Dan Henning.

There is no happy medium, is there? :lol:

We used both of our receivers pretty well last week.

delhomme to smith has worked ok so far. im not complaining

Why would you not put the ball in Smith's hands when you can?

If he's open, throw it to him 40 times a game.