Photo
- - - - -

College = ponzi scheme

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:29 PM

You invest 1,000s of dollars in it and ended up with nothing but some worthless piece of paper that don't mean much to anyone.

#2 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:34 PM

It depends entirely on the career you want and how much responsibility and prestige you'd like in that career.

#3 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

I got 3 degrees, 3.5 GPA, worked as a loss prevention officer for a company with 2,500 employees, done bunch of volunteering for the city of Charlotte, and oh yeah I'm a member of 4 different school clubs.

#4 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,332 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

You invest 1,000s of dollars in it and ended up with nothing but some worthless piece of paper that don't mean much to anyone.

In most majors, yes, basically.

#5 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:46 PM

I got 3 degrees, 3.5 GPA, worked as a loss prevention officer for a company with 2,500 employees, done bunch of volunteering for the city of Charlotte, and oh yeah I'm a member of 4 different school clubs.

So what's the rub?

#6 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

Basically, only the kids with either some connections or rich parents ended up getting something in return, everyone else fail. I almost joined marines in 2004 but I changed my mind in a last day and decided to pursue college education. Five years later I'm in the same position as in 2004 only $30,000 in debt.

#7 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

So what's the rub?

what do you mean?

#8 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:03 PM

what do you mean?

You seem to have set yourself up competitively against anyone in a hiring situation.

What's the problem?

#9 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:14 PM

A Bachelor's does nothing more than give you the confidence to call BS on someone, the skills to research your answers and prove to an employer that you can see a long term project to fruition.

In other words it gives you everything you need for success if you use it right.

#10 mush

mush

Tailgate Czar

• Moderators
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:34 PM

I know plenty of kids who graduated from a good private high school who would be much more presentable/professional/polished than kids who graduated from a 4 yr. public college.

#11 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:36 PM

Image is everything.

#12 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:05 AM

You seem to have set yourself up competitively against anyone in a hiring situation.

What's the problem?

Yes, exactly... I planned 3 years ahead but companies don't even give me a chance for an interview... All of my requests for an interview got declined before I knew it. I found a loophole in a system which allows me to skip my masters program and save 1,000's of dollars. I also could get my CPA license in less than a year. My friends cannot believe no one even offered me an interview.

#13 17+89=6

17+89=6

The Line of Eld

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:51 AM

Social Security=Ponzi Scheme.

But like everyone else said, it just depends on the degree you get. A lot of degrees only qualify you to go to more school. If you got a worthless degree, someone should have told you along the way that it would qualify you to do absolutely nothing.

#14 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:53 AM

Tell you what Arsen I will trade you 4 years of work experience for 4 years of college. It is a tough time to get a job right now. NC unemployment rate is around 10.7 percent. even the health care professions are slowing down in hiring. But atleast with the bachelors you have a better shot at a good paying job than I do.

You might need to look outside of NC I know I am going to DC for about a week as their unemployment rate is only 6.5%. You just to keep grinding and sooner or later you will find a job. Might not be exactly what you want but once the economy starts turning around you will be able to get what you want.

#15 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:14 AM

Social Security=Ponzi Scheme.

But like everyone else said, it just depends on the degree you get. A lot of degrees only qualify you to go to more school. If you got a worthless degree, someone should have told you along the way that it would qualify you to do absolutely nothing.

I got degrees in Accounting, Finance, and International business management. I want to work for an accounting firm as an auditor but instead accounting firms hire some wackos who had 0 hours of work experience, 0 hours of community service, but they do have a near perfect GPA.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com