Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

College = ponzi scheme

61 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

You invest 1,000s of dollars in it and ended up with nothing but some worthless piece of paper that don't mean much to anyone.

Posted · Report post

It depends entirely on the career you want and how much responsibility and prestige you'd like in that career.

Posted · Report post

I got 3 degrees, 3.5 GPA, worked as a loss prevention officer for a company with 2,500 employees, done bunch of volunteering for the city of Charlotte, and oh yeah I'm a member of 4 different school clubs.

Posted · Report post

You invest 1,000s of dollars in it and ended up with nothing but some worthless piece of paper that don't mean much to anyone.

In most majors, yes, basically.

Posted · Report post

I got 3 degrees, 3.5 GPA, worked as a loss prevention officer for a company with 2,500 employees, done bunch of volunteering for the city of Charlotte, and oh yeah I'm a member of 4 different school clubs.

So what's the rub?

Posted · Report post

Basically, only the kids with either some connections or rich parents ended up getting something in return, everyone else fail. I almost joined marines in 2004 but I changed my mind in a last day and decided to pursue college education. Five years later I'm in the same position as in 2004 only $30,000 in debt.

Posted · Report post

So what's the rub?

what do you mean?

Posted · Report post

what do you mean?

You seem to have set yourself up competitively against anyone in a hiring situation.

What's the problem?

Posted · Report post

A Bachelor's does nothing more than give you the confidence to call BS on someone, the skills to research your answers and prove to an employer that you can see a long term project to fruition.

In other words it gives you everything you need for success if you use it right.

Posted · Report post

I know plenty of kids who graduated from a good private high school who would be much more presentable/professional/polished than kids who graduated from a 4 yr. public college.

Posted · Report post

Image is everything.

Posted · Report post

You seem to have set yourself up competitively against anyone in a hiring situation.

What's the problem?

Yes, exactly... I planned 3 years ahead but companies don't even give me a chance for an interview... All of my requests for an interview got declined before I knew it. I found a loophole in a system which allows me to skip my masters program and save 1,000's of dollars. I also could get my CPA license in less than a year. My friends cannot believe no one even offered me an interview.