Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hotsauce

Hurricane Hugo ~ 20 Years later

24 posts in this topic

Was watching TV at my apartment at UNCC until the power went out, then I went to bed and slept through it all. Next morning there was no power in Charlotte and trees everywhere. A good bit of price gouging ensued. No generators to be found, but with no power no gas pumps would run.

My father ran a bread truck and ironically a little bakery in Shelby was the only bread company around with power to run the lines. Some grocery stores opened even though they had no power, and would take a bunch of flash lights and let people go in with flashlights to shop. When one person came out of the store, they would let another one go in. That was back before the bar code days, when there were price stickers on everything so they took battery operated calculators to add up people's bill.

My father worked all weekend delivering bread because we had the only bakery running. 4 truck loads of it and even had other bread companies buying from us because they had nothing.

I remember the loose powerlines.... NO NES for three whole days. I was pissed.

the day we got a generator, the power came back on.

just like those funny stories about landing on the moon...I think it's all a conspiracy

charlotte...i was 6. i remember all the neighbors grilling out since there was no power and everyone's frozen meat needed to be eaten before it spoiled.

we were without power for 13 days. a tree fell on our house, but did minimal damage.

I still wonder to this day why my mom had those 4 whole chickens in the freezer. We were one of the last neighborhoods to get power so I remember lots of trips to K&W cafeteria. Our yard had tons of trees, I was hauling logs for weeks.

That's basically what I remember - K&W and lots of logs.

Sitting in the living room watching Planet of the Apes on TBS. I think it was a Thrs night.

About 1am it was a monster storm going on. I couldn't see across the street.

About 7 or 8 am the eye passed thru. Strange.

No work that day of course.

I may have gotten lucky because some buddies of mine who I would have hung out with were doing acid DURING the storm.

I was 3, but I actually remember some. I remember my mom telling me I couldn't sleep in my bedroom that night although I didn't know why. We all slept in an interior room.

I remember the next morning seeing trees down all around the back yard and I remember my dad cutting wood for a long time. We had a large pile of wood for a long time out back.

I don't remember how long we were without power, but I believe my parents said it was something like a week.

I had just started at Shamrock Gardens when Hugo hit.