Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Our new GM?

52 posts in this topic

Posted

I like Reggie McKenzie as GM.

I'm also very much in favor of dropping Koncz as Pro Personnel. I really would prefer Gregory stay.

Posted

Cowher wants total control (coach and GM). That model doesn't fly with the Richardsons.

(and frankly, it pretty much never works)

I am dead set against any and all retread coaches. The majority of them are out of work for a reason. Others like Cowher have pitfalls attached.

I really would rather have a good young D mind like Butler but I would not be too pissed with Cowher. But I do agree there are better candidates.

I like Reggie McKenzie as GM.

I'm also very much in favor of dropping Koncz as Pro Personnel. I really would prefer Gregory stay.

I really like Gregory as well wouldn't be surprised if we just gave him the promotion to GM.

Posted

Butler won't be leaving unless it's for head coach. There's really not much reason to discuss that move.

No thoughts on McKenzie?

Posted

Butler won't be leaving unless it's for head coach. There's really not much reason to discuss that move.

No thoughts on McKenzie?

I have been saying for some time I would love Butler as a HC. Mckenzie I know very little about personally. But here is a link to a page that reviewed his career (from when the Chiefs were still looking for a GM).

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/12/29/704100/getting-to-know-a-gm-reggi

Posted

I'm planning to do more research later.

Posted

I'm planning to do more research later.

I have looked at quite a few different guys and I just can't find a more successful candidate then Marc Ross. Its like whatever team he touches turns to gold in the draft (I know its only 2, Eagles and Giants). After I did his writeup it seemed like everyone I was researching didn't hold a candle to this guy. That's why I stopped at 3. I know you can probably blow mine out of the water as I look forward to all your write ups.

Posted

I have been saying for some time I would love Butler as a HC. Mckenzie I know very little about personally. But here is a link to a page that reviewed his career (from when the Chiefs were still looking for a GM).

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/12/29/704100/getting-to-know-a-gm-reggi

ehh...saying "don't look at a guy because they drafted 5 UT guys in eight years and he's from UT" never made sense given that he's a Pro Personnel guy.

Posted

ehh...saying "don't look at a guy because they drafted 5 UT guys in eight years and he's from UT" never made sense given that he's a Pro Personnel guy.

I was thinking the same thing but the article did say he had his hand in the drafting decisions from time to time.

Posted

if cowher is hired he may be gm/head coach not sure if he would still want that role but he seemed to like it in pitt

i just looked and when u joined. i have the seniority, therefore i won't surrender my name. thief!! lol

Posted

I found another promising guy:

Eric DeCosta:

eric.jpg

Director of College Scouting - Baltimore Ravens. He's been a member of the Ravens organization in some form or another since 1996. His background is in personnel and scouting.

The Ravens hired DeCosta in 1996 as a player personnel assistant. His first draft in 1996 netted Baltimore 2 future Hall of Famers in Jonathan Ogden (Round 1) and Ray Lewis (Round 2). In 1997 he drafted Peter Boulware (1st), Jamie Sharper (2nd), Kim Herring (2nd) and Jeff Mitchell (5th) that all started 6 or more years.

After two years, he moved up as the Mid-West Area Scout during his time in this postion the Ravens were excellent at drafting. However, his first 2 seasons in this position were a bit less successful, only finding 2 players (Chris McAlister and Edwin Mulitalo) that have started 8 years. Duane Starks has been a serviceable player for the team throughout his career as well.

2000 had Jamal Lewis and Travis Taylor in the 1st round. Both 7 year starters.

2001 had Todd Heap, Gary Baxter, Casey Rabach and Ed Hartwell. All have started at least 3 seasons for the Ravens.

2002 1st 3 picks: Ed Reed, Anthony Weaver, Dave Zastudil. All 5+ year starters.

2003 Terrell Suggs and Kyle Boller. 4+ year starters and 1st round picks

In 2003 the Ravens promoted DeCosta to Director of College Scouting where he's been to this day. At the time of his hiring, he was the youngest Director of College Scouting in the NFL.

His drafts since haven't been as star-studded but still impressive considering 2004 is only 4 years out.

Bottom Line: DeCosta has been in an organization that has stressed the importance of the draft. They have succeeded in that respect. The most impressive thing I noticed was how successful the Ravens have been on hitting on there 1st day picks. This means that they're usually picking up impact players.

Posted

I think they mentioned DeCosta during a game, or games, before as well and I believe they were giving him some credit.

Posted

2. Marc Ross Giants College Scouting Coordinator (My Favorite Candidate) - He was part of the brain trust in Philly that drafted Mcnabb and got booed for taking him over one of the all time bust Ricky Williams. Was first promoted to his current position with the Eagles in 2000 and is responsible for Brian Westbrook, Lito Sheppard and Derrick Burgess. His climb and good standing with the Eagles ended, however, four years later. Modrak (the GM at the time) had butted heads with the organization and was fired, followed out the door soon after by his entire staff.

2004: Then he got rehired as a Scout for the Bills and was part of the scouting dept that scouted and drafted Marshawn Lynch, linebacker Paul Posluszny and quarterback Trent Edwards -- each of them started as rookies.

2007: He got his job with the Giants in 2007 where in his first year he was directly responsible of this list of players.

1 20 Aaron Ross - CB

2 19 Steve Smith - WR

3 18 Jay Alford - DT

4 17 Zak DeOssie - LB

5 16 Kevin Boss - TE

6 15 Adam Koets - T

7 14 Michael Johnson - S

7 40 Ahmad Bradshaw - RB

All of these players made the team and contributed from day 1 and were a very big reason they won the Super Bowl. Now Ross, Smith, Johnson, Boss, are all starters (wow 4 starters in 1 draft). Koets is there version of Hangartner (man thats a hard name to spell) and Bradshaw is a very good change of pace back.

Bottom Line: One draft like the one he orchestrated in 2007 and a franchise is set for 3 or 4 years. He is by far my favorite candidate and Richardson needs to take a long look at this guy because I think he has a really good eye for talent.

I thought I would give you the updated stats on these guys for Ross first and second darft as Director of College Scouting.

Aaron Ross: 2007: 42 Tkls 35 Solo Tkls, 9 Pass Deflected and 3 INTs 2008: 52 tkls 48 Solo Tkls, 8 PD and 3 INTs 2009 (through 3): Injuried

Steve Smith: 2007: 8 rec 63 yards 2008: 57 rec 574 yds 1 td 2009 (so far): 37 rec 481 yds 4 tds

Jay Alford: 2007: Nothing Really 2008: 15 tkls and 2.5 sacks 2009: IR

Zak Deossie: Backup LS/LB and Special teams

Kevin Boss: 2007: 9 rec 118 yds 2 tds (huge post season) 2008: 33 rec 384 yds 6tds 2009: 10 rec 143 yds

Adam Koets: Backup T/G

Michael Johnson: 2007: 25 tkls 23 solo 2 PD 2008: 72 tkls 4 PD 2 INT 2009: 21 tkls 15 solos 1 sack 1 PD

Amhad Bradshaw: 2007: 23 att 190 yds 1 tds 2008: 67atts 355 yds 1 td 2009: 58 atts 375 yds 2 tds

His 2008 Draft

32nd overall Pick: Kenny Phillips: 2008: 67 tkls 55 solos 5 PD 1 Int 2009: 13 tkls 9 solos 2 ints 2 PD

63rd Pick: Terrell Thomas: 2008: 45 tkls 39 solos 4 PD 1 int 2009: 17 Tkls 14 solo 4pd 1 Ints 1 FF

95th Pick: Mario Mannaningham: 2008: 4 rec 26 yds 2009: 20 rec 342 yds 3 tds

The Rest have been Decent depth

You got to admit this guy is good.