Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avenged Sevenfold

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Generic? That's an, umm, interesting adjective to use...

Generic in that they aren't really special. (in my opinion)

The guitarist is very good, and the drummer is a capable one, but the vocals aren't anything to write home about (at least after WtF) and his melodies don't make up for what he lacks in that department. The bass is non-existent on most of their songs, partly due to how detuned the guitars are and how talented the lead guitar player is. I feel like if the singer would sing a little more melodically (kind of the step they took with CoE) instead of yelling (after WtF, he's really bad at it) and if the songs had a little more bass and little less crunchy guitar then they would be on the right track. As it stands however, they are just an okay band with a talented guitarist.

Posted

Generic in that they aren't really special. (in my opinion)

The guitarist is very good, and the drummer is a capable one, but the vocals aren't anything to write home about (at least after WtF) and his melodies don't make up for what he lacks in that department. The bass is non-existent on most of their songs, partly due to how detuned the guitars are and how talented the lead guitar player is. I feel like if the singer would sing a little more melodically (kind of the step they took with CoE) instead of yelling (after WtF, he's really bad at it) and if the songs had a little more bass and little less crunchy guitar then they would be on the right track. As it stands however, they are just an okay band with a talented guitarist.

Hmm. Well I essentially disagree with everything you just said. Bass is quite prevalent in the Self Titled album. They even added 808 blasts for the "bottom drops out" effect. Scream is one song where the bass really shows up. In fact the bass makes it heavier since they don't tune way down or use massive amounts of distortion on rhythm guitar. The Rev is a good drummer when he chooses to be. Some songs are great, some are just groove oriented. As far as Shadows being an average vocalist, I'm not really sure how you come to that conclusion? There are VERY few vocalists that can do the things he does.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though. Just giving my points of view! :cool:

Posted

So, what you're saying is you don't know what "generic" means, Lt. Pinkerton....

Posted

So, what you're saying is you don't know what "generic" means, Lt. Pinkerton....

Generic in that they aren't special enough to stick out to me.

But hey, everyone's taste in music is somewhat different. At least we aren't debating Nickelback or Creed or some poo band. A7x are at least talented in my eyes, and I respect them for that.

Posted

Hmm. Well I essentially disagree with everything you just said. Bass is quite prevalent in the Self Titled album. They even added 808 blasts for the "bottom drops out" effect. Scream is one song where the bass really shows up. In fact the bass makes it heavier since they don't tune way down or use massive amounts of distortion on rhythm guitar. The Rev is a good drummer when he chooses to be. Some songs are great, some are just groove oriented. As far as Shadows being an average vocalist, I'm not really sure how you come to that conclusion? There are VERY few vocalists that can do the things he does.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though. Just giving my points of view! :cool:

I haven't listened to their self-titled album, but in CoE and especially WtF the guitars are detuned pretty heavily, so much so that it's hard to hear much bass. The drummer is indeed capable so no argument there.

The vocalist used to have some range and strength back on WtF, but it seems like he lost it on CoE. This is probably for the best however, because his melodies are much gentler and actually just better than they were on WtF.

Posted

I haven't listened to their self-titled album, but in CoE and especially WtF the guitars are detuned pretty heavily, so much so that it's hard to hear much bass. The drummer is indeed capable so no argument there.

The vocalist used to have some range and strength back on WtF, but it seems like he lost it on CoE. This is probably for the best however, because his melodies are much gentler and actually just better than they were on WtF.

All of WtF and CoE are in Dropped D tuning. That just means the low E is down 1 step. Makes shaping power chords different and gives you the low end crunch on the open notes. Breaking Benjamin even tunes quite a bit lower that Avenged.

WtF had more clean vocal style I guess you could say. Since then he has become a more aggressive singer. He wanted to give his vocals some bite and originality so that it would stand out. While I think his voice is stronger and his range actually has increased with the most two recent albums, I will say it is not as fundamentally sound as it was on Waking the Fallen.

Posted

All of WtF and CoE are in Dropped D tuning. That just means the low E is down 1 step. Makes shaping power chords different and gives you the low end crunch on the open notes. Breaking Benjamin even tunes quite a bit lower that Avenged.

WtF had more clean vocal style I guess you could say. Since then he has become a more aggressive singer. He wanted to give his vocals some bite and originality so that it would stand out. While I think his voice is stronger and his range actually has increased with the most two recent albums, I will say it is not as fundamentally sound as it was on Waking the Fallen.

They're in drop D, but technically the E-string is C# because the entire band tunes down a half-step. (not that is a bad thing per se, probably more for his vocals than anything)

Posted

Drop tuning is a crutch.

Check these guys:

I'm not a fan of power vocals, but these guys are one of the best overall bands out there imho.

Posted

This is probably my favorite metal band right now:

Posted

The Rev is a great drummer. I don't know why you hink he is only capable.

Posted

What has Avenged Sevenfold been doing lately?

Posted

If you're a mainstream radio rocker, then Avenged Sevenfold is for you.