Photo
- - - - -

Picking Games

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

UNC/Tech
Defense: Both Ds have a lot of playmakers all over the field. I like the Tech corner, Tennant and their DE Morgan. I also like Burney and Quinn for UNC. Its a tough call here but I'm going to give the edge to GaTech's D but only by a slight margin.

Offense: Yates vs. Nesbitt. Yates is a good QB and Nesbitt is a TERRIBLE QB so do the math here. I don't think that UNC is going to be able to get much going up front with their OL going against a pretty talented front 7. However, if Highsmith shows up and gets open early then that will lead to good things for the Heels. GaTech's offense is a based on gimmicks and teams are starting to figure them out. It starts and ends with their running backs so if Dwyer is kept under wraps then their offense stalls b/c Nesbitt is incapable of throwing it downfield.

Special Teams: I honestly think this is where the game could be won or lost. UNC doesn't have that playmaker on ST like they did last year. On the other hand, Tech does have one with Tennant. If the Heels can bottle up Tennant and not allow Tech to have good field position or a TD off of a run back then I like UNC's chances.

This is a tough call. But since Tech is playing at home I give them the edge 24-17.

Edited by unicar15, 24 September 2009 - 10:24 AM.

#2 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:42 AM

Miami/VaTech

Defense: Miami is probably the one team in the ACC that has a scheme and speed to equal the VaTech D. VaTech typically outclasses its opponents on defense but I don't think that happens this time around. Miami has guys that every program in the country wanted...Fortson, Phillips, Brandon Harris, and Arthur Brown. I know that Tech has some great players too with Chancellor and Worilds but Tyrod isn't going to get any daylight against these guys to make plays.

Offense: This game isn't coming down to Jacory Harris vs. Tyrod Taylor. I think both guys are really talented playmakers but there are so many other players on the field. Ryan Williams from Tech has looked pretty solid at times and the receivers for Miami have emmerged as great targets for Harris. Benjamin is a stud and Javaris James can catch it out of the backfield or burn you up the gut. I like Miami's offense over Tech's

Special Teams: To be honest I think both teams are sound in the kicking game and return game. I don't think either team is going to let this be the phase that beats them. I think its even...

Vatech almost lost last weekend at home to a team that I don't think is nearly as talented as the Canes. I like Miami in a close one. 28-24

#3 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:12 PM

I think GT takes care of business at home as well...And Miami will kill VT...No offense up in Blacksburg.

#4 tarheelblue89

tarheelblue89

More u spend, More u win

• HUDDLER
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

I expect GT to win a very very low scoring game, hopefully I will be wrong.

And this:

And Miami will kill VT...No offense up in Blacksburg.

#5 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

I expect GT to win a very very low scoring game, hopefully I will be wrong.

And this:

I think it'll get to the 20s but I really think that the difference in this game is ST. They are two pretty even teams but I think Tennant gets free or something...

Something crazy will decide this game whether it is a fumble, KR, or PR.

#6 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:44 AM

I think the Heels are too fast for the Option to get going, and they GT has not looked anything like the team of last year.

Carolina wins 17-13

VT/Miami is a f'n tossup, the years VT should have dominated they haven't, the years they were supposed to get destroyed they haven't

What ever the consensus feeling is with this game expect the opposite. This series is the most even series in all of football, and even though the Hokies have dominated the series as of late if their defense cannot keep the offense off of the field VT's offense will not be able to keep up.

I think Miami wins if they can get the score to 20 or higher, if it is below 20 VT wins

another big factor....HEAVY RAIN all day in the Burg

Edited by Tweeder, 25 September 2009 - 09:52 AM.

#7 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:48 AM

We need a college football thread that has top game picks against the spread each week.....for entertainment purposes only of course.

My college football picks have be horrible this year. 0-6....finally paid down my debt and ready to try again.

#8 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:52 AM

We need a college football thread that has top game picks against the spread each week.....for entertainment purposes only of course.

My college football picks have be horrible this year. 0-6....finally paid down my debt and ready to try again.

I havent won at all in college...usually losing 1 game out of 3-5 game parlays

I have won twice in NFL though, usually the other way around....weird

#9 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

I havent won at all in college...usually losing 1 game out of 3-5 game parlays

I have won twice in NFL though, usually the other way around....weird

I didn't play at all last week becuase of the hole I was in but I had 3 games in mind and all 3 would have won. That is why it is gambling though.....anyone who claims to win around 60% of the time either is a liar or a very rich man. I haven't done NFL at all this year. I haven't looked at games for this week yet but let me know of any strong plays that you see.

#10 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

I didn't play at all last week becuase of the hole I was in but I had 3 games in mind and all 3 would have won. That is why it is gambling though.....anyone who claims to win around 60% of the time either is a liar or a very rich man. I haven't done NFL at all this year. I haven't looked at games for this week yet but let me know of any strong plays that you see.

College

Solid

Missouri at -7.5 against Reno-Nevada
Rutgers -2 against Maryland
FSU -14 against USF
Boise St -17 against Bowling Green

Tempting

TCU +3 Clemson
Washington +8 agaist Stanford
Kentucky +22 against Florida
Vanderbilt -7 against Rice
Cincinnati -16 against Fresno St

Risky

Cal -6 against Oregon
Miami -3 against VT
GT -3 against UNC

NFL

Solid

NO -6 against Buff
NYG -7 against TB

Tempting

Oakland +2 against Denver
Miami +6 against SD
SF -7 against Minn (banged up AP)

Risky

Detroit +6.5 against Washington
NYJ - 3 against Tennessee

Edited by Tweeder, 25 September 2009 - 10:49 AM.

#11 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

I won huge money when BYU beat OU :D

#12 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

I won huge money when BYU beat OU :D

umm thanks to Wake losing to Baylor, I lost $800 on a 5 game parlay

#13 chbright

chbright

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

monsoon in the bburrg for the game. calling for a posible 2"/h around game time (local weatherman).........

if it comes down to the running games of each team in bburg, then VT has an advantage of playing cody and suh, and still have williams run for over 100 yards on each monster. if it dries out, well, harris likely lights vt up. also vt has an idiot for an OC, he has a few good games against quality opponents from time to so maybe we get a well called game (odds are against it though).

vt just might get their 2nd best defender back tomorrow, virgil back to probable (thank god). miami down 2 DL, but getting moncur back.

espn is calling out the lane stadium crowd "If it were a night game, this might be a different pick, but the Canes are too calm, composed and confident to let a 3:30 p.m. crowd at Lane Stadium determine the outcome. "

plus its UM, VT's #1 rival the last 10 years really (UVA has sucked most of that time).

what get me is this, the setup is all to similar to the fateful thursday nite BC game. VT is the underdog, against the top ACC ranked team, at home. they are facing the best passing O in the league, with a good defense to go along with it. but the weather looks to be a factor for alteast the early stages of the game. VT has the same awful offense but can run the ball better than their opponent, a good defense (not the 2007 level which is key tomorrow), and fans ready for this game.

i expect a low scoring game early with the weather. i still think miami wins by 6 though. if miami sells out to stop the run, esp up the middle like they did against GT, ball game, vt like gt cant pass their way out of a paper bag (unless its a guy is open by 20 yards).

idk what to expect in that game honestly. vt has been uncharacteristically bad against the run this year, but actually held up better than expected in the passing game (without virgil and harris graduating). they have not gotten the pressure i would expect (atleast consistently). they overpursue, and arnt fast (jake johnson and cody grim) at LB so far. on offense, evans who? special teams, much better so far than last years, but still could give up the big punt return.

as for miami, when did they remember how to play down there? when did they remember how to play disciplined against the run (what killed them last year)? OC is gold, QB coach has harris looking like ken dorsey. they remembered to catch the ball again.

#14 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

College

Solid

Missouri at -7.5 against Reno-Nevada (covered)
Rutgers -2 against Maryland (covered)
FSU -14 against USF (WTF)
Boise St -17 against Bowling Green (Covered)

Tempting

TCU +3 Clemson (Covered)
Washington +8 agaist Stanford (no)
Kentucky +22 against Florida(no)
Vanderbilt -7 against Rice (covered)
Cincinnati -16 against Fresno St (no)

Risky

Cal -6 against Oregon (Hell No)
Miami -3 against VT (Nope)
GT -3 against UNC (covered)

NFL

Solid

NO -6 against Buff
NYG -7 against TB

Tempting

Oakland +2 against Denver
Miami +6 against SD
SF -7 against Minn (banged up AP)

Risky

Detroit +6.5 against Washington
NYJ - 3 against Tennessee

Well that is about right for me and College this year....Miss one of my solid picks, and a few tempting

I usually do two bets....one 8-10 game parlay where I had 3 teams hurt me, and about a 4 game parlay where that one team (FSU) hurt me

#15 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

I quit betting on football years ago...I can't pick worth a damn.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com