Saca312

Free Agency/Draft Tracker Thread: Post News Here!

1,299 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Saca312 said:

It's the NFL offseason; the long, daunting time where there's nothing but infomercials on Sundays. It's also a time where conversations concerning free agency and the draft are high, in which every fan hopes their team nails just the right players to get them to the big game. Free Agency is the first major phase of the off-season, in which players who have expired contracts on their current teams hit what's known as the "open market" in which teams "bid out" contracts for the player to play for their team.

It's a very interesting and fun time for the most die-hard of football fans.

Since I believe it'll be a major hassle to see many separate threads on free agents, I decided I would help things out and create a main "big thread" concerning free agents. In this thread, I believe it would be best to post any tweets, news, ideas, or anything concerning free agents; whether it be players signing contracts, contract negotiations, teams who are bidding for a particular player, or anything really about any free agent. 

Post all the news about Free Agents here. Hopefully a mod or Igo sees this (nudge nudge @Jeremy Igo) and decides to pin this key thread, as I believe it'd be helpful for most Huddlers to have a bunched up topic to see news on free agency like last year.

Free Agency Dates:

• February 15: First day for teams to designate franchise or transition players
  • March 1: Prior to 4:00 p.m. ET: Deadline for clubs to designate franchise or transition players
  • March 7-9: Teams are permitted to contact and enter into negotiations with unrestricted free agents. However, a contract cannot be executed until 4:00 p.m. ET on March 9.
  • March 9: New league year begins at 4:00 ET - Free Agency begins with old contracts expiring.

To see more offseason dates, please refer to this thread:

Some things I'll note about this particular Free Agency class:

• Stacked at Safety:  Definitely loaded and we should be able to pluck a new partner for Coleman this FA period. I would add Swearinger, Hyde, Thomas and Harmon to this class too, which only makes it stronger.
  • No Pass Rushers: Agreed.
  • Weak OT Class: Disagree here. There's on Joe Staley or Trent Williams, but there's a handful of what I'd call "Oher 2015" caliber players. Guys like Beachum, Whitworth, Reiff, Joeckel, Okung and Clady are all out there. All have underachieved and/or injured the past year or two, but seeing what Matzko did when we took a chance on Oher gives me confidence. I really want Beachum, but a vet like Whitworth is solid, Reiff and Joeckel offer younger guys. I'm actually very okay with this FA class versus how I felt a month ago. 
  • WR Class Solid; Not Spectacular: Agreed. I doubt it, but I really would like to see DG take a gamble here on DJax. I really don't want Ginn back and would prefer a burner and playmaker like Jackson, who Cam is friends and comfortable with in our offense. DJax-KB-Funch-Olsen would be electric for us when our defense gives the offense the ball. A guy I really like is Kamar Aiken. Good separator, explosive off the line, great route runner who wins underneath, and has good speed. Young and fits what we want in Cruz, except 3 years younger. Robert Woods and CPatterson are others I like too for that WR3 role. 
Edited by Soul Rebel
1 person likes this

Agree DJax would be a picture perfect fit for our offense. It makes so much sense that I know it's not happening. I am intrigued enough to try and get CPatt on a 1 year prove it. Worst case he's our returner if Ginn bolts again..

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

1 person likes this

DJax and Kahlil would be mighty nice FA before the draft.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Shocker said:

DJax and Kahlil would be mighty nice FA before the draft.

I think I'd rather have Beachum. Kalil hasn't played well since his rookie year in 2012. Beachum was solid the two years before his ACL injury in 2015/first year post ACL last year. Maybe we feel Kalil can rekindle his 2012 year and the fact that he was the 4th overall pick in the draft or more likely, he's not as good as his name got him.

1 person likes this

Lots of good info being added to this thread, thanks.  For important transactions re: players from other teams, I'm generally not wanting to read multiple threads (i.e. one per each player), but like having one combined topic where I can quickly see all the key transactions for a day or two at a glance, since I'm not necessarily on here every day right now.  I know there are free agent trackers online, but it's nice to come here and be able to read about the transactions specifically from a Panther fan's perspective... how does it affect us?

Yo mods / @Jeremy Igo can someone sticky this?

Edited by KB_fan

Bye bye Eric Berry we hardly knew ya.

Edited by OldNorthPowell
5 people like this

Can we make a rule where there is no discussion in this thread. Just updates and news. If it requires discussion, it should have a thread. Doing this will keep this thread organized and informative without anyone having to dig through 5 pages of BS just to find updates.

4 people like this

ESPN announce Patriots will not use Franchise tag on Dont'a Hightower.

1 person likes this