thebigcat

Why is Kuechly not wearing a Vicis Helmet?

The science behind this helmet and data is very much convincing instead of the collar he is wearing.

With Luke and the training staff concerned over concussions and the data behind this helmet scoring it #1 amongst NFL approved helmets I cannot comprehend why  the training / equipment staff do not have Luke wearing this but sign off on a glorified cock ring instead

84E1ED40-A57B-42D7-8833-34326A19EA07.png

Could be anything from not being aware of it's existence to not liking the fit. If a helmet doesn't fit well to somebody's head, they will go with a different model helmet. It's why not every player is wearing the same helmet. If the NFL REALLY cared, they'd make these helmets mandatory and ensure that each player gets a customized fitting to ensure comfort and security. The league has plenty of money to do this. Unfortunately, I'm sure Riddell and Schutt pay far too much money to ensure that the NFL doesn't do this.

• Pie 2

Just now, lightsout said:

Could be anything from not being aware of it's existence to not liking the fit. If a helmet doesn't fit well to somebody's head, they will go with a different model helmet. It's why not every player is wearing the same helmet. If the NFL REALLY cared, they'd make these helmets mandatory and ensure that each player gets a customized fitting to ensure comfort and security. The league has plenty of money to do this. Unfortunately, I'm sure Riddell and Schutt pay far too much money to ensure that the NFL doesn't do this.

They just got into the NFL regular season this year I believe.  There's no way he doesn't know about it

4 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Plenty of NFL players are wearing this Vicis helmet.

If you look at the OP there is a list put out by the NFL showing this helmet as the top performer based in their tests. So I suppose the other companies aren't paying nearly enough.

Edited by csx

30 minutes ago, thebigcat said:

Meanwhile the Q collar received their data from high school tests and doesn't have FDA approval

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/study-indicates-q-collar-may-help-protect-football-players-brain-function-300456013.html

thats probably a good thing. the fda is controlled by lobbyists getting back seat handjobs.

• Pie 4
  • Poo 1

Like I said, could be just about fit. I was playing in high school in the mid 2000s, and I remember then that Schutt and Riddell really pushed the model of helmets that were the precursors to the helmets common today. I was one of the first 5 at my high school to get one of the Schutt Air helmets after a concussion that caused me to black out on the field. To that point, Riddell Revolutions (the first wave from the early 2000s, before the Revolution Speed helmets that more or less matched the design of the Schutt Air helmet) were common with a few of the old Riddell buckets from the 90s still in use. 3 years later, nothing but Schutt Air and Riddell Revolution Speed helmets for varsity and most of the JV. Guys who never saw the field wore the old Revolution helmets because, well, it didn't really matter. And now, all of those models are basically obsolete. So from somebody that went from the old buckets of the 90s to the new generation of helmets in the 2000s and seeing what they are now, I find it interesting that there isn't a mandate for the best possible helmets to be used by professionals who generate much greater force than any hit I ever took or received by a large margin.

It doesn't matter if the brain being studied is in highschool or graduate school.

• Pie 2

I though the neck ring was just to collect data, not prevention. I've said for years, the NFL needs to invest its money into better equipment

There are 33 helmets in that testing list. Id say there's some pretty big money being thrown around to support that much 

Edited by csx

7 minutes ago, csx said:

It doesn't matter if the brain being studied is in highschool or graduate school.

Well it does matter WHICH brains you're testing. If you test the brains of players in pop warner, middle school, high school, college, and the NFL....you're going to get a pretty big deviation. It scales, which can absolutely matter when putting the best thing out there to be used. Plus, a college setting vs a high school setting, in terms of testing, is going to be more equipped to study this just due to resources, and no amount of guess work or number crunching is going to compare to finding the precise speed and mass of players at big colleges or in the NFL to determine the force exerted.