• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shocker

Are we in a Window situation?

11 hours ago, Shocker said:

Do you think Brees and Cam are equal QBs? 

I'll say this... (lord forgive me) If Cam has Sean Payton.  Cam would already have a couple of rings.  Payton would have exploited his strengths like Turner will do this year.  Brees might have a couple too because he is a gamer. No doubt in my mind with Payton guiding Cam, as a Panther of course, Lombardi's are sitting in the showcase. .

Payton and Brees are like Billicheat and Brady.   They are perfect for each other. I wanted Brees to come to Carolina but he ended up in N.O. because we had Jake who just finish the 2005 season with a playoff birth.

12 hours ago, Shocker said:

Cam is supposedly in his prime.  Luke as well.  DTs are good.  Ok, LOTS of old talent at big positions so I gotta ask.  Is this team in a 2-3 year window to make a big push?  Can we turn this around that fast knowing that we could've beaten the Saints?   Watching the Jags game and all their young talent I was like damn, can we beat a team like that right now?  Also, I keep wondering...how many running QBs with low completion pct have won the Super Bowl?  Steve Young?  The guy that was amazingly accurate.  I believe in Cam but how much longer?  Do we build around Cam or go ALL out on defense where we have a strength?

I have no doubt the Panthers can contend but I want that Super Bowl.  Can we get there without blowing this up?

Now that shula is gone, you haven't seen nothing yet.  We are going to be a force to reckon with.  As long as Hurney doesn't over pay.

13 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

windows aren't a thing. Just something for sports jockeys to talk about

We can revisit this post when Luke, TD, Olsen, Kalil are all done in the next 5-7 years. Three of those guys are somewhat replaceable. One of them is an all-timer. Remember the Bears D with prime Urlacher...then see without prime Urlacher. That’s called a window...

13 hours ago, Shocker said:

Cam is supposedly in his prime.  Luke as well.  DTs are good.  Ok, LOTS of old talent at big positions so I gotta ask.  Is this team in a 2-3 year window to make a big push?  Can we turn this around that fast knowing that we could've beaten the Saints?   Watching the Jags game and all their young talent I was like damn, can we beat a team like that right now?  Also, I keep wondering...how many running QBs with low completion pct have won the Super Bowl?  Steve Young?  The guy that was amazingly accurate.  I believe in Cam but how much longer?  Do we build around Cam or go ALL out on defense where we have a strength?

I have no doubt the Panthers can contend but I want that Super Bowl.  Can we get there without blowing this up?

One of the main reasons we canned Shula and Dorsey was to bring someone on staff who could continue to develop Cam who seemed to regress under  Shula and Dorsey the past 2 years. With Cam's contract being up in 2021 there is some urgency to find out what his ceiling may be before we have to shell out 20-25 million a year on a new contract.

But to the question if there is a window? Hard to say. Who would have predicted 2015 when KB went down....

The Panthers are in a window of opportunity situation and I'd expect it lasts 1-3 more years because of Cam and Norv.

Because of Cam's style of play, his longevity might be closer to a running back than a traditional quarterback. His play could start dropping off after age 30 and be a shell of his former self by his early 30s. I hope I'm wrong and he plays 10 more years. 

I also expect Norv is here for one year only. I think a big reason he came back to coaching is Rivera gave him assurances Scott Turner will be the OC after this season. The situation in Minnesota was Norv grooming Scott to be the Vikings OC once this season was over. When they made the trade for Bradford, Shurmur became a more prominent voice, having worked with Bradford in the past. When Norv saw that Shurmur would be the OC once he left and not Scott, he bailed. 

Of course there’s a “window” if you think Cam, Luke and others are good enough to get you to a SB. 

We are absolutely in a window.  Look what happened when we let Norman go, now  TD is retiring next year and Olsen is getting up there too.  We're all worried about Luke and his concussions.

Windows are completely real.