Shocker

Are we in a Window situation?

6 hours ago, Shocker said:

I am going to say this knowing I'll get hurt...is resigning Olsen, Thomas or any older players a good move?  Stewart, Kalil, Captain,  Adams, Fozzy...damn.   Lots of older guys on the decline.

The glaring problem is Gettleman never brought in young talent to step up and take the lead from 2014-2016. You need young players who give your team a reason to get rid of veteran leaders for younger leaders.

6 hours ago, Shocker said:

I am going to say this knowing I'll get hurt...is resigning Olsen, Thomas or any older players a good move?  Stewart, Kalil, Captain,  Adams, Fozzy...damn.   Lots of older guys on the decline.

I haven't seen a decline in Olsen,  at all. 

6 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

The glaring problem is Gettleman never brought in young talent to step up and take the lead from 2014-2016. You need young players who give your team a reason to get rid of veteran leaders for younger leaders.

DG had just gotten the money under control. No matter how he got there. Now Hurney now has the money.... We will never really know what he could do with money in the bank. But The Giants are getting ready to find out.

5 minutes ago, Jangler said:

DG had just gotten the money under control. No matter how he got there. Now Hurney now has the money.... We will never really know what he could do with money in the bank. But The Giants are getting ready to find out.

You did not need money to draft young leaders. You needed to keep from giving up a ton of draft picks for 5 picks per season while wasting multiple picks on players like Benwikere, Funchess, Worley and Williams.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

You did not need money to draft young leaders. You needed to keep from giving up a ton of draft picks for 5 picks per season while wasting multiple picks on players like Benwikere, Funchess, Worley and Williams.

show me the leaders in this draft then?

really?

the draft is a best guess scenario. 

I'm sure Hurney will be great past 1.

Edited by Jangler

19 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

Our window will close as soon as cam decides he's had enough of management and asks for a trade.. I don't have enough faith in us finding a suitable replacement for him if that happens. 

Hopefully they give him some poo to work with this year and he takes us to the promised land in the next year or two

no matter what we rebuild in 2-  3 years

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yes and it’s called the Cam Newton era

I agree completely. 

Basically this is how I see it:

-Cam is not an accurate QB consistently.

-Cam is a special talent that can make plays no other QB can make both with his arm and his legs.

-Cam took his team to the Super Bowl against truly good teams, with Stewart, Ginn, Philly Brown, and Funchess. The X factor we haven't had since is Jericho Cotchery. He was the vet WR who simply knew how to run the route to the chains and catch the ball after getting separation. He doesn't get nearly enough credit for how he helped that super bowl run. Russell Shepard was supposed to be his replacement but can't hold a candle to him.

-Cam can still take this team to a Super Bowl playing his style QB for the next 3 years in my opinion, before he will have to really adjust how he approaches the game. His body simply can't handle the hits it will be taking in 3 years, unless he works tirelessly to become more accurate and precise with his passing and decision making.

If the Panthers want a chance at a Ring during the Cam Newton era, then they need to get him a vet WR, and fix the OL. 

The defense can be restructured year over year to at least be competitive. But this league continues to prove that you have to score points at a high level to win games, even against the top defenses. Which is something the Panthers could do in 2015, but not since. 

In closing, I do think this team can remain competitive and re-build around Cam. CMC and Samuel were a step in that direction. Trading Kelvin for a pick was another step in getting a younger player on the roster. And best case scenario is Cam plays into his mid to late 30s, the Panthers stay in the playoff hunt each year, while drafting the guys who will be in their primes when Cam retires so that the transition to the next Era is smooth. 

Edited by Chardee MacDennis
Edited to add final thoughts

10 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

if you look at the team cap situation wed save the most cap money by cutting kalil and olsen too out of anyone else on the roster lol. Ugh. 

Cut kalil ass, let star walk and keep olsen. Imma star fan but we have to find a way to keep norwell over him. 

11 hours ago, Shocker said:

Do you think Brees and Cam are equal QBs? 

I'll say this... (lord forgive me) If Cam has Sean Payton.  Cam would already have a couple of rings.  Payton would have exploited his strengths like Turner will do this year.  Brees might have a couple too because he is a gamer. No doubt in my mind with Payton guiding Cam, as a Panther of course, Lombardi's are sitting in the showcase. .

Payton and Brees are like Billicheat and Brady.   They are perfect for each other. I wanted Brees to come to Carolina but he ended up in N.O. because we had Jake who just finish the 2005 season with a playoff birth.

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, Shocker said:

Cam is supposedly in his prime.  Luke as well.  DTs are good.  Ok, LOTS of old talent at big positions so I gotta ask.  Is this team in a 2-3 year window to make a big push?  Can we turn this around that fast knowing that we could've beaten the Saints?   Watching the Jags game and all their young talent I was like damn, can we beat a team like that right now?  Also, I keep wondering...how many running QBs with low completion pct have won the Super Bowl?  Steve Young?  The guy that was amazingly accurate.  I believe in Cam but how much longer?  Do we build around Cam or go ALL out on defense where we have a strength?

I have no doubt the Panthers can contend but I want that Super Bowl.  Can we get there without blowing this up?

Now that shula is gone, you haven't seen nothing yet.  We are going to be a force to reckon with.  As long as Hurney doesn't over pay.

13 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

windows aren't a thing. Just something for sports jockeys to talk about

We can revisit this post when Luke, TD, Olsen, Kalil are all done in the next 5-7 years. Three of those guys are somewhat replaceable. One of them is an all-timer. Remember the Bears D with prime Urlacher...then see without prime Urlacher. That’s called a window...