Mr. Scot

More indication that all is not well in Steeler Land

Ed Bouchette talks about the Steelers lack of discipline.

Nevertheless, there is another elephant in the room that Rooney, Tomlin and Colbert must address. Are the Steelers’ disciplined enough?

Tomlin never lost the locker room, he had it under control and his players respect him. However, there were many instances in which he could have taken better control, including the fiasco for the national anthem in Chicago.

As another example, Tomlin wants players and coaches to report to the locker room two hours before kickoff for games. That was continually ignored by both players and a coach or two.

Not only did Bell arrive much later than that for the playoff game against Jacksonville (as well as one coach), he missed practically the entire Saturday walk-through the day before, showing up about five minutes before practice ended.

Tomlin’s reaction to Mitchell supposedly yelling at the Jaguars outside their locker room before the playoff game?

“That’s part of what I was talking about in today’s climate,” he replied. “That’s really kind of irrelevant to me.”

What's coming up for the Steelers in 2018

Just as a general comment, Ed Bouchette is one of the best beat writers out there. His articles are always very informative.

Edited by Mr. Scot

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ed Bouchette talks about the Steelers lack of discipline.

What's coming up for the Steelers in 2018

Just as a general comment, Ed Bouchette is one of the best beat writers out there. His articles are always very informative.

Can we package all the Observer hacks and trade for him? I’ll even throw in a bag of Skittles to double the value. 

4 minutes ago, Darknight said:

You got coaches disobeying the head coach? Wow. How much power does Tomlin has?

Bouchette says he hasn't lost the locker room, but Tomlin's image is that he's a drill sergeant type that you don't dare cross.

Sounds like that image is a bit of a facade at this point.

This is likely part of the reason for the minority owners pushing to dump him.  And while I still don't expect that to happen, that's kind of a big deal.

When you've got a guy whose persona is built on the notion that he'll kick ass and take names, and the people under his authority find out that he won't actually do it, no good can come of that.

Edited by Mr. Scot

And lets not forget throwing a patriotic United States veteran under the bus....

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 6

only 3 head coaches in what 50years 

C'mon, its going to take more then a little disobedience by a few  

Steelers don't fire coaches

3 minutes ago, PurityControl said:

only 3 head coaches in what 50years 

C'mon, its going to take more then a little disobedience by a few  

Steelers don't fire coaches

That's only what's gotten reported.

There's plenty more that goes on behind the scenes of an NFL team that none of us know about.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's only what's gotten reported.

There's plenty more that goes on behind the scenes of an NFL team that none of us know about.

True

Can never get behind a decision to fire a guy, especially when the team is winning, though

Can't be a superbowl and a ring every year unless your B&B.

Just now, PurityControl said:

True

Can never get behind a decision to fire a guy, especially when the team is winning, though

Can't be a superbowl and a ring every year unless your B&B.

I can understand that, but it's also true that the Steelers have really high expectations.

Our measure of success isn't quite the same as theirs.

Too many "stars" in the locker room. Tomlin's a hell of a coach and if he ends up leaving Pittsburgh, I hope we'd take a swing at getting him here.

• Pie 3

12 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Too many "stars" in the locker room. Tomlin's a hell of a coach and if he ends up leaving Pittsburgh, I hope we'd take a swing at getting him here.

So being a wishy washy paper tiger in Pittsburgh isn't OK, but we should be fine with it? If we should take a swing at him I hope it's a miss.