• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Morgan

Panthers are 24 million under the cap

Just now, panther4life said:

At this point you’re just being a troll. How the fug else can a player under contract walk in free agency unless you cut them?

Decline option. Since his contract doesn’t kick in until the start of the league year, why would you not just decline it. I’m  asking seriously. You seemed sure, and I really thought I was wrong. But I can’t find it either way. 

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Decline option. Since his contract doesn’t kick in until the start of the league year, why would you not just decline it. I’m  asking seriously. You seemed sure, and I really thought I was wrong. But I can’t find it either way. 

There is no such thing as decline the option once you’ve already exercised it. It’s not like the franchise tag you can rescind if both parties don’t sign. The 5th year option is part of the contract. 

If this answer does not satisfy you, then do some research yourself. But this is an easy concept and you’re probably over thinking it. 

42 minutes ago, Toomers said:

It’s no fun replying to someone who runs and hides when someone asks him any question. It’s like pistol-whipping a blind kid at this point. Go play elsewhere.

Yeah, the KB hate was silly. People still hanging on 2015 is when our D was fat and away the best at creating turnovers. With KB and no Olsen we were 5-3, without KB we were 6-3 and the OL was playing well again and actually run blocking. The fact that Cam’s two best 300+ yard games came against Detroit and NE the with KB are ignored. Some people believe stupid stuff and won’t open their minds. KB in the playoffs would have been huge especially when one of his replacements dropped an easy TD in a 5 point loss where Gano missed the chip shot after the TD miss and we had the ball at the NO 20 to end the game. SMH.

At this point I’m glad we have the 3rd and the cap space, but not having him against NO when Funchess was down to one arm helped us lose, no other way to spin it.

1 minute ago, panther4life said:

There is no such thing as decline the option once you’ve already exercised it. It’s not like the franchise tag you can rescind if both parties don’t sign. The 5th year option is part of the contract. 

If this answer does not satisfy you, then do some research yourself. But this is an easy concept and you’re probably over thinking it. 

Maybe I am.

4 minutes ago, panther4life said:

I think you are wrong. You can decline the option and that player is a FA. It’s not a guarantee or a contract. It’s like a tag which becomes guaranteed at the start of the year or if an injury occurs (like Shazier) except that the player cannot sign it to make it official. If Norman signed the tag DG couldn’t rescind it at that point.

There is no release of the player. That said, I’ve never seen it happen mainly because teams don’t trade players after exercising. 

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I think you are wrong. You can decline the option and that player is a FA. It’s not a guarantee or a contract. It’s like a tag which becomes guaranteed at the start of the year or if an injury occurs (like Shazier) except that the player cannot sign it to make it official. If Norman signed the tag DG couldn’t rescind it at that point.

There is no release of the player. That said, I’ve never seen it happen mainly because teams don’t trade players after exercising. 

This is what I thought. But I can’t find it worded one way or another. And I don’t think it’s the same as Norman, but I honestly don’t know. 

12 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I'm not following what you're saying or you misunderstood my post. 

I was speaking about the 5th year rookie option. On the 5th year rookie option you can choose to decline it or exercise it. The decision to exercise it was made last may. This fully guaranteed his salary for 2018 for injury only  or if he remained on the roster for the first day of the league year. 

I never said a franchise tag could be rescinded once both parties had signed. I said the opposite actually.

You are actually pretty much echoing exactly what I just said in a different way.

edit: Actually you are wrong:

You can release a player on his rookie contract before the option kicks in on the first day of the league year. Its possible the Bills may release or cut Benjamin, just as I stated we could have done if we did not have the chance to get the 3rd round pick for him instead. 

Here's a link to an article on why the bills may consider cutting him: https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/2/23/17044306/potential-buffalo-bills-cuts-trades-2018-salary-cap-savings-tyrod-taylor-cordy-glenn-lorenzo

48 minutes ago, panther4life said:

I'm not following what you're saying or you misunderstood my post. 

I was speaking about the 5th year rookie option. On the 5th year rookie option you can choose to decline it or exercise it. The decision to exercise it was made last may. This fully guaranteed his salary for 2018 for injury only  or if he remained on the roster for the first day of the league year. 

I never said a franchise tag could be rescinded once both parties had signed. I said the opposite actually.

You are actually pretty much echoing exactly what I just said in a different way.

edit: Actually you are wrong:

You can release a player on his rookie contract before the option kicks in on the first day of the league year. Its possible the Bills may release or cut Benjamin, just as I stated we could have done if we did not have the chance to get the 3rd round pick for him instead. 

Here's a link to an article on why the bills may consider cutting him: https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/2/23/17044306/potential-buffalo-bills-cuts-trades-2018-salary-cap-savings-tyrod-taylor-cordy-glenn-lorenzo

We are saying similar things but I don’t think rescinding the 5th year option, or whatever the term for it is, means that you cannot get a comp pick. We got a comp pick for Norman even though we rescinded the tag. I think until there is an injury or the league year starts the 5th year is like an unsigned tag. That’s where I think you are wrong, that you wouldn’t get a comp pick. I don’t believe it is the same as cutting a player with a contract.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's the "kicking the can down the road" approach that scares me.

We've seen it before, and we've seen it blow up in our faces.

Maybe a bit of revisionist history here, but our cap issues were mostly for spending money on the wrong positions.  The cap always scares me, but I know we all gave/given NO hell about this method the last few years. But every year, they seemingly get by without making big cuts. The cap can be manipulated, so let's learn how...finally. 

Is that before after the gano deal. Bc 9 Mill seems like it could be a big hit to the cap. If I understand how the contract deals work out. 

3 hours ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Maybe a bit of revisionist history here, but our cap issues were mostly for spending money on the wrong positions.  The cap always scares me, but I know we all gave/given NO hell about this method the last few years. But every year, they seemingly get by without making big cuts. The cap can be manipulated, so let's learn how...finally. 

My honest take on past results is that it was less about spending on the wrong positions as it was on the wrong players.

Handing a big payday to Charles Godfrey, for example...

On 3/6/2018 at 9:17 AM, Captain Morgan said:

according to Person.  Been some discussion about what our cap really is, hope this is correct.

Joe PersonVerified account @josephperson 3m3 minutes ago

More

Joe Person Retweeted NFLPA

Panthers rolled over $4.4M in cap space from last year. Currently $24M under cap.

Per DNewton - after Gano's deal, we are now currently $24.3 million under the cap. 

28 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Per DNewton - after Gano's deal, we are now currently $24.3 million under the cap. 

Is that taking the draft class into account? If not we’d have only $16-17M left.

8 minutes ago, KDawg004 said:

Is that taking the draft class into account? If not we’d have only $16-17M left.

Let me ask him...

newton_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer 

The cap hits, at least the first two years, of the four-year, $17 million deal the Panthers gave Graham Gano aren't as high as his average $4.25 million salary that ranks second in the league among kickers. This year's hit is $3,437,500, followed by $3,737,500 in 2019. It takes a significant jump the final two years, $4,537,500 in 2020 and $5,287,500 in 2021, according to ESPN's Roster Management. The Panthers have $24,282,426 in cap space after this deal.