• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

top dawg

A-Rob, Watkins? Not likely. The money is looking just too funny

If he got the $157m number from spotrac.com that is a top 51 number

You don't subtract 7-8m for rookies from the leftover cap from that number.

Rookies are replacing other players.  $7-8 million is the total cost of the rookies but you have to subtract the salaries of the players falling off of the bottom of the roster.

15 hours ago, top dawg said:

A new owner---a sharp one---likely has an eagle eye on that as well.  It may be the absolute quickest way for Marty to be axed 

Maybe, though I think it’s likely the new owner would bring a new guy in unless we’re coming off a SB win. And that’s how Hurney probably sees it and maybe Ron too, hence the “all in” talks this offseason. We’ll see but both Jeremy and Voth who have been spot on in the past have said we’re going to go after some bigger FAs and particularly at WR. I think it’ll hurt us in the future but if we do enough to win it all this year then so be it.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Almost all teams that win a SB do this. 

Not really. The teams that win SBs are financially sound, draft well and develop players well in addition to finding lesser FAs who fit in their system and can contribute for not much cost. 

Well if there was any doubt about the fact that we are not in the market for Robinson and Watkins, the panthers.com article on WRs should squash that. They practically admit the team isn't looking at the expensive WRs as options. 

22 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Not really. The teams that win SBs are financially sound, draft well and develop players well in addition to finding lesser FAs who fit in their system and can contribute for not much cost. 

Oh yeah like the Eagles, Falcons, and Broncos. 

10 minutes ago, Chardee MacDennis said:

Well if there was any doubt about the fact that we are not in the market for Robinson and Watkins, the panthers.com article on WRs should squash that. They practically admit the team isn't looking at the expensive WRs as options. 

This what you referring to? 

"HOPE FOR 2018: General manager Marty Hurney wants "to add speed and athleticism to the skill positions," and wide receiver no doubt qualifies for an upgrade. The top free agents (think Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins) are expected to get really expensive, but it will be interesting to see how the market shakes out for guys like Marqise Lee, Paul Richardson and Donte Moncrief."

16 hours ago, top dawg said:

Having potentially less than $15 million to utilize for this year, it seems unlikely the team will go after a notable free agent receiver such as Jacksonville’s Allen Robinson or the Rams’ Sammy Watkins, unless the Panthers make a move such as releasing Ryan Kalil or Russell Shepard.

Is this really so unrealistic

lol at anyone that expects us to sign any major free agents. I've been saying we wouldn't. We have a lot of glaring holes we can't afford to fill and we know Hurneys draft is gonna suck. I expect a bad season and for the new owner to completely clean house and start over

35 minutes ago, Snake said:

Falcons

Alternative facts here...?

There honestly isn't a playmaking WR out there right now available for trade who would magically solve our offensive woes.

It's looking more and more like we're gonna be throwing darts at the board on draft day again.

We should be releasing Kalil to give us some money, this is classic Hurney mistake. Shephard needs to be releases. Should have a cheaper kicker, like Butker, to help out. I can keep going. All the things we should have done add up even the small things and would give us more money to help sign playmakers we desperately need.

55 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Is this really so unrealistic

I don't think it's unrealistic at all.  Now is it likely that they'd cut Kalil in what is supposed to be his last season? I wouldn't bet the farm on it,  but I guess It depends on how bad they would want to make a particular move.

Shepard should have never been here. 

1 minute ago, Lumps said:

We should be releasing Kalil to give us some money, this is classic Hurney mistake. Shephard needs to be releases. Should have a cheaper kicker, like Butker, to help out. I can keep going. All the things we should have done add up even the small things and would give us more money to help sign playmakers we desperately need.

I don't know that we should get rid of Kalil. I certainly don't believe it should be done nonchalantly. Furthermore,  there is a compelling reason to wait until at least after the draft, if not into the preseason to do it.  

1 hour ago, thomas96 said:

Alternative facts here...?

2 out of the three won. Falcons really should have won they just blew it. All of them had huge FAs before winning and all of them paid players in the short term. Fact: Building though the draft and dollar picking FA doesn't win championships. 

Yeah, it's a lot of money, but when you look at the direction our roster is moving, it makes sense. The bottom line is that the winning formula in this league is no longer running the ball and stopping the run. While those things are important, and the elite teams do them well, they aren't what drives most team success. We've already cut Stewart and Johnson, and will likely not resign Star and Norwell. Those guys did make some contribution to the passing game, it was a lot of salary devoted to primarily helping the run game. Now, what does win in the modern NFL? Big plays in the passing game and rushing the passer. So it follows that we need to use the money they freed up to push our roster in that direction. Watkins would be a perfect fit, and while the cost may same too high, an elite downfield threat would reshape this offense overnight. Yeah, we need to shore up our lines and find a solid complement to McCaffrey, but we don't need big money contract type guys there, just solid role players. The problem is, for this to make sense, we can't really sign him to a short term contract, it would have to be a 4+ year deal. It would start out looking expensive but become a bargain after a couple years, or even earlier if he performs up to his potential. 

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Turnip

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts