• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:34 PM

30 for 30 without Bias..Talking about Len Bias..good stuff.

#2 c0r

c0r

First 9

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:41 AM

i watched the colts band one and the USFL one.

both were very interesting.

#3 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:19 AM

Loved the Bias one the best so far. Such a wasted talent and seemed like such a great kid. I think I was 13 or so at the time but I do remember where I was when I heard the news. I didn't know his brother was murdered also. Can't even imagine the pain the parents went through.

30 for 30 is the best thing ESPN has put together in a long time. I also love their E60 show.

#4 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:57 AM

30 for 30 has been great so far.

#5 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:27 AM

Thank goodness they are rebroadcasting "Without Bias." I completely forgot about it and watched Batman last night (I regret nothing).

I'm not a religious man, but if I did believe in a being with a higher purpose, I'd be inclined to believe that he took Bias from us as a cautionary tale to student athletes; that you have been blessed with talent and fame and riches, but if you live a life without humility, it can all be taken away from you in a heartbeat.

As a Maryland alum, the Bias story means a lot to me. And the most tragic thing of all is that student athletes still haven't gotten the message. Which means Bias died for nothing.

#6 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

My non-sexual man-crush Bill Simmons has a pretty fascinating theory about what Bias would have done to the NBA had he not died.

He theorizes that Bias would have re-energized the aging Celtics, particularly Bird, Parrish and McHale, taken away some of their minutes so they would have been more rested for the playoffs, and added at least another championship to their trophy case. Instead, it deflated the whole franchise, made everyone, including Auerbach, retire early, and the Celtics basically went into a 23 year down-ward spiral.

He also thinks that with Bias, Jordan would have had a true rival in the sport for his career as opposed to a bunch of guys he just systematically murdered for 14 years in a row and subequently got bored with so to make it exciting he started betting on anything and everything, thus getting forced for a few years to leave to play baseball.

Edited by Scrumtrilescent, 04 November 2009 - 10:51 AM.

#7 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

Wups, I edited that instead of quoting it....you get the gist though. lol

#8 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

I'm not a religious man, but if I did believe in a being with a higher purpose, I'd be inclined to believe that he took Bias from us as a cautionary tale to student athletes; that you have been blessed with talent and fame and riches, but if you live a life without humility, it can all be taken away from you in a heartbeat.

The show kind of implies that also.....mom seemed to know it was coming.

#9 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:54 AM

Wups, I edited that instead of quoting it....you get the gist though. lol

Yeah, that too. No doubt about it.

Jordan is an unbelievably talented and flawed dude. Just watch his Hall of Fame inductions speech if you need more proof.

#10 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

Reairs Wednesday Nov 4(today)10pm ESPN 2

#11 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:14 AM

Gotta bump this one......anyone see the 30 for 30 last night on Jimmy "The Greek" ? I actually liked this one better than the Bias one. They just keep out doing themselves each week.

I remember Jimmy The Greek as a kid and also remember when he got in trouble for the racial slur but I had no idea that he lived such a pathetic life after that and died penniless. Sad story.

#12 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:28 AM

I remember the old joke....Did you hear they renamed the Super Bowl in honor of Jimmy the Greek? They're going to start calling it The Breeders Cup.

#13 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

I have it taped but didn't watch it last night. I probably will today. I opted for Celebrity Sex Rehab instead.

I am happy with my choice.

#14 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

Dammit. I keep missing these. And I forgot to watch the recast of "Without Bias." Well I didn't so much forget as much as I was at my girlfriend's house and TV was the last thing on my mind. REGARDLESS! I need to get a DVR; expect a thread in "Nerdvana" soon if you have any advice.

#15 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,204 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

Saw the Greek one last night. This stuff has been outstanding. Im a docu nerd. Love learning something I don't know.
As for Bias. I missed that one. I was a huge fan of his growing up. To the point I bought some red Cons to play hoops in. I remember that amazing one man show in the Dean Dome.
My whole family is big into sports and they became fans of Bias.
A couple of days after getting back from Myrtle Beach for first week my mom calls me at about 10 am on June 19th.
First words out of her mouth, did you hear that Bias died? I was shocked. I watched tv the entire day waiting for someone to say it was a joke but it wasn't.
My friends and I said for years what Bill Simmons said. No doubt they would have gotten a few more rings with Bias in the lineup.

If you can ever find some footage go find the game of Marlyand vs UNLV(or another west coast team) in the NCCA's. Second round I think. Dude catches an alley oop from midcourt, and slams over two guys, with his BACK TO THE BASKET!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.