Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carolina versus Belmont Abbey 57-31 half

38 posts in this topic

Posted

To me, here are UNC's biggest concerns...

1. Balance. The guards are unproven and nowhere near as talented as the bigs.

2. Playing time. Unless they redshirt two or three of those guys, expect some transfers from the bigs.

Posted

To me, here are UNC's biggest concerns...

1. Balance. The guards are unproven and nowhere near as talented as the bigs.

2. Playing time. Unless they redshirt two or three of those guys, expect some transfers from the bigs.

1. Agree. UNC is top heavy, no doubt about that. Somebody compared Drew to Phelps which I agree with. Phelps wasn't a fast guard, but he was a great passer and had a high basketball IQ. Same with Drew...although Phelps was a better defender. Strickland has potential but he's got to show it on the court. Graves can drain three's in practice but that hasn't seemed to translate to a real game. Ginyard is probably the best all around player we have at the guard position. He just has limited range.

2. Disagree...the Wears knew what the situation was before they went to UNC. Henson will play the 3 so he doesn't factor in that discussion and the general consensus is that he will be one and done. Zeller, Thompson and Davis will all see more than 25 minutes a game, particularly as the season goes on.

Posted

1. Agree. UNC is top heavy, no doubt about that. Somebody compared Drew to Phelps which I agree with. Phelps wasn't a fast guard, but he was a great passer and had a high basketball IQ. Same with Drew...although Phelps was a better defender. Strickland has potential but he's got to show it on the court. Graves can drain three's in practice but that hasn't seemed to translate to a real game. Ginyard is probably the best all around player we have at the guard position. He just has limited range.

2. Disagree...the Wears knew what the situation was before they went to UNC. Henson will play the 3 so he doesn't factor in that discussion and the general consensus is that he will be one and done. Zeller, Thompson and Davis will all see more than 25 minutes a game, particularly as the season goes on.

If all the games were 30-point blowouts, that would work. But Stan, would you ever take Ed Davis off the floor in a tight game?

Posted

If all the games were 30-point blowouts, that would work. But Stan, would you ever take Ed Davis off the floor in a tight game?

Of course not. If you are thinking that the Wears or Zeller are going to transfer because of playing time, you are nuts. Zeller will get at least 20 minutes a game. The Wears probably won't see a whole lot of time this year, but Davis will probably be gone next year as well as Thompson. They will get plenty of time next year and beyond. Besides they knew what they were getting into.

Posted

You're fuging high if you don't think this team will out rebound last years team. We got deeper and bigger in the post, not to mention at small forward. This whole team is bigger position by position (other than Deon of course). Drew is taller than Lawson, Ginyard is taller than Ellington, Henson is taller than Green, Deon=Deon, and then you throw in the Wears, Davis and Zeller.

You obviously don't know the first thing about basketball if you think that rebound is all about height. Hansbrough would out rebound anybody on the team you have right now. Lawson would out rebound Drew all day long. Rebounding is about positioning, that is why one of the best rebounders of all time was only 6'8". Ever heard of Dennis Rodman? Maybe you and Htar should get together and study some basketball.

Posted

You obviously don't know the first thing about basketball if you think that rebound is all about height. Hansbrough would out rebound anybody on the team you have right now. Lawson would out rebound Drew all day long. Rebounding is about positioning, that is why one of the best rebounders of all time was only 6'8". Ever heard of Dennis Rodman? Maybe you and Htar should get together and study some basketball.

Maybe you should learn something about bball...Hansbrough wasn't ever the greatest rebounder.

And, btw, Drew looks solid so far.

Posted

Maybe you should learn something about bball...Hansbrough wasn't ever the greatest rebounder.

But Hansbrough has the UNC record for career rebounds at 1,219, averaging 8.6 per game... I don't see how you can't quantify that as a great rebounder, if not the greatest rebounder in UNC history.

Posted

But Hansbrough has the UNC record for career rebounds at 1,219, averaging 8.6 per game... I don't see how you can't quantify that as a great rebounder, if not the greatest rebounder in UNC history.

Hansbrough was a good rebounder, but not great. He has that record because of longevity. Sean May was a much better rebounder...Sam Perkins was a GREAT rebounder. Ed Davis is a great rebounder. UNC may miss some things this year, but Hansbrough's rebounding prowess isn't one of them.

BTW, Drew played pretty good tonight.

Posted

Hansbrough was a good rebounder, but not great. Sam Perkins was a GREAT rebounder.

But Hansbrough finished with 52 more rebounds, and they played the same number of years, didn't they? BTW, both Perkins and Hansbrough finished with a career average at UNC of 8.6 rebounds per game...... Just sayin...

Posted

Dimbster knows his hoops. Don't argue with him. :cheers2:

Posted

And, btw, Drew looks solid so far.

I wasn't talking about Hanbrough being the greatest I was talking about Rodman but Hansbrough could hold his own. It doesn't matter how many games you play look at the average of rebounds. And I know enough about basketball to know when someone talks in a circle to try to get a point across. Nobody on your team this year will average over 8 Rebs a game. Drew played okay with 7 pts. 6 asst. 2 TO. You have to remember they were playing FIU so before you start beating your chest let's wait and see how he handles a real team.

Posted

I'm friggen defending a UNC player from a UNC fan. How ironic is that?? :lol: