Photo
- - - - -

If we don't take a WR with our first pick..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#41 chbright

chbright

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

Here are the projected WRs that will be on the board when we pick:

DeMaryius Thomas (WR, Georgia Tech)
Dezmon Briscoe (WR, Kansas)
Danario Alexander (WR, Missouri)
Jacoby Ford (WR, Clemson)
Damian Williams (WR, USC)
Jeremy Williams (WR, Tulane)
Jordan Shipley (WR, Texas)

that list scares me. lots of boom or bust picks, or just average nfl wrs in it.
ford, briscoe, and thomas scream boom or bust to me. just a burner and a good returner (ford), to comments about taking plays off (briscoe), to never running anything other than 4 routes (thomas), they all have issues.
all three have skills to be top flight wrs if they want to. ford has speed you cant teach, the guy could be smitty part #2 if he can be a reliable when you thow him the ball and he can run crisp routes. thomas has the rare blend of size, strength and speed you covet for a wr in a running attack, he is a plex type, big wr that is a endzone monster and can fight off any cb he wants to get off the line. thing with him is can he run anything other than a go route, and can he get seperation when the team isnt loaded up to stop the run? briscoe can be flat unstopable when he wants to be, and at time looks like he will never drop a ball he gets his hands on.

shipley, damian williams, and alexander could be very good, or just average. alexander is the walking wounded, more move the chains type. shipley is another guy thats been on and off the injury reports countless times and screams nice #3 and good returner. damian williams is smooth and could be steve smith at USC or another DJ, idk, he may be the best guy that can come in and produce day 1 though.

dont know enough about jeremy williams to comment.

personally i have my heart set on mccluster later, and a guy like cooper later, but first add a quality FA like floyd or breaston. also would have moose back for 1-2 years to let cooper develop. i think mccluster is going to be a steal as a WR.

#42 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Banned

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:19 PM

Brsicoe's still my guy...

#43 ownermode bm

ownermode bm

Banned

• PipPip
Banned

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

yo I still like gilyard but I have warmed up to briscoe. He is a nightmare when he plays all out. To the guy saying boom or bust, I hate to say it but every player (esp wr) is in that category. I know when the panthers drafted steve smith they didn't say hes gonna be a top 5 wr. You cant be scared to take a chance when the pick is in round 2 and back. I say 2 of our first 4 should be wr.

#44 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

chb im with you.we should bring in mccluster and another big wr.as well as a fa wr to bolster the group.

#45 kdrh5

kdrh5

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

Nobody wants him, but Mike Williams will be a steal.

#46 chbright

chbright

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

Nobody wants him, but Mike Williams will be a steal.

in the 6th round. someone, likely the raiders, vikes, balt, or bungles, will take a gamble on him. some teams with less needs will value him more, as if he pans out its a hug boost, if not still a strong team.

he is an absolute stud, but can we afford the risk at WR at this point. now if its the 6th and he is still there, F' it, take a risk and hope it pans out, b/c i doubt anyone left after the 4th will have the upside williams has, but quitting the team this year, being out in 08 b/c of classes is scary.

#47 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

HUDDLER

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

Let's take a look at the most recent drafts at the WR position.. I can't find any WRs that were picked in the 3rd round other than Steve Smith that are #1 WR quality.. in the past 10 years. We must pick a WR in the 2nd round to have any decent chance of success at the WR position.. the chances of finding a good WR drop off dramatically after the 2nd round.

http://www.nfl.com/d...R&type=position

Looking at this just makes you appreciate the friggin steal that Steve Smith was..

Edited by Lout, 15 January 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#48 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

Banned

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

Mike Wallace, Early Doucet, Mario Manningham, Josh Morgan, Pierre Garcon, James Jones, Steve Breaston, Chansi Stuckey, Jason Avant, Brandon Marshall, Domenik Hixon, Devin Aromashodu, Marques Colston, Chris Henry, Bernard Berrian, Jerricho Cotchery, Patrick Crayton, Nate Burleson, Kevin Curtis, Brandon Lloyd, Bobby Wade, Justin Gage, Kevin Walter, T.J. Houshmanzadeh, Lavernues Coles, and Darrell Jackson among others all beg to differ...

#49 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

HUDDLER

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

Mike Wallace, Early Doucet, Mario Manningham, Josh Morgan, Pierre Garcon, James Jones, Steve Breaston, Chansi Stuckey, Jason Avant, Brandon Marshall, Domenik Hixon, Devin Aromashodu, Marques Colston, Chris Henry, Bernard Berrian, Jerricho Cotchery, Patrick Crayton, Nate Burleson, Kevin Curtis, Brandon Lloyd, Bobby Wade, Justin Gage, Kevin Walter, T.J. Houshmanzadeh, Lavernues Coles, and Darrell Jackson among others all beg to differ...

I think you misread my post.

I said, "the chances of finding a #1 WR fall of dramatically after the 2nd round", which is true.

Obviously you can find good WRs in the later rounds.. I never said you couldn't, but look at the odds. They drop off significantly after the 2nd round. Only two of the WRs you listed are #1 caliber WRs.

Edited by Lout, 15 January 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#50 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

Banned

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

You didn't read my post very closely.

"I can't find any WRs that were picked in the 3rd round other than Steve Smith that are #1 WR quality"

And I said, "the chances of finding a #1 WR fall of dramatically after the 2nd round", which is true.

Of all the WRs you listed there are only 3 current #1 WRs in that list. So I don't know what you are "differing" from me on, you just proved my point.

Obviously you can find good WRs in the later rounds.. I never said you couldn't put look at the odds. They drop off significantly after the 2nd round.

I was just saying you could find very good talent at later levels, and you don't have to absolutely take a WR in the 2nd round... We don't need a possible #1 talent because we have Smitty, and I would take a solid #2 any day of the week... There are plenty examples of those in the 3rd and later...

The chances of drafting a #1 at any position fall off dramatically after the 2nd round... So attributing it to a WR thing is kind of not making a point... I'd be happy with a lot of the later round WRs in this draft, because it's a deep class and we could find a solid #2...