Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

381 posts in this topic

Posted

You should try "Age of Zeus" by James Lovegrove. Here's a little write-up about it:

"The Olympians appeared a decade ago, living incarnations of the Ancient Greek gods on a mission to bring permanent order and stability to the world. Resistance has proved futile, and now humankind is under the jackboot of divine oppression. Then former London police officer Sam Akehurst receives an invitation too tempting to turn down, the chance to join a small band of geurilla rebels armed with high-tech weapons and battlesuits. Calling themselves the Titans, they square off against the Olympians and their ferocious mythological monsters in a war of attrition which not all of them will survive!"

Posted

For a quick but fun read I like the Tales of the Nightside series by Simon Green. Scrum has read them too.

Posted (edited)

Terry Brooks - Shannara series is really good

Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga also is excellent

Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is very good (first book is The Dragonbone Chair); also the Otherland series is great

Edited by Woodie

Posted

Terry Brooks - Shannara series is really good

Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga also is excellent

Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is very good (first book is The Dragonbone Chair); also the Otherland series is great

Love Raymond Feist and Tad Williams.

Posted

Enders Game was nice.

OK, so I just finished Ender's Game... it was a good read. Not really what I was expecting honestly and the end seemed a little anti-climactic to me, but whatever... are the follow on books worth the time?

Posted (edited)

OK, so I just finished Ender's Game... it was a good read. Not really what I was expecting honestly and the end seemed a little anti-climactic to me, but whatever... are the follow on books worth the time?

Ender's Shadow is a decent read, it's from Bean's point of view. Idk about the others. I also thought the ending was anticlimactic, but appropriate.

I haven't been reading much sci-fi lately, but I recently read Starship Troopers. It's a decent read and a short one. The futuristic fascist society in the book and the moral philosophy discussed is interesting enough to keep the pages turning.

Edited by Razzy
2 people like this

Posted

Ender's shadow I enjoyed, also really liked Xenocide. They're all pretty different though.

1 person likes this

Posted

My favorite series is the Wheel of Time. It is very long so when suggesting it to people, I always tell them to read just the first one since the story moves along very quickly (compared to the rest of the books I guess) and it has a good enough ending that it doesn't leave you hanging. Also, if you can get past books 7, 8, and 9 (seriously, you can just read a short book summary of each since not much happens in them) it picks up a lot after that. Book 12 came out last November and I think I read it in about 2 weeks it was so good (Sanderson is writing this and although it looks like he's trying to match Robert Jordan's writing style, he doesn't bore you to death with as much detail). It was just like the first one, non stop action since he's trying to wrap up all the loose ends and preparing for the huge war that will take place during the entire last book. The next book comes out in November of this year and the last comes out next year.

And whats wrong with the Dark Tower series? How often do you get the chance to read a book where the Author throws himself into the story?

Posted

When I tell people to read WoT I generally suggest they stop at the the end of the 6th book. Its like reading a term paper after that.

Posted

i made it through half of one.

Posted

The first 6 books are really fun.

Posted

the first half of the first one bored the shiat out of me.

/i know I'm in the minority here.