Photo
- - - - -

Who is the greatest football player ever?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#46 LaChance87

LaChance87

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

Barry Sanders... too bad he didnt have a good team backin him.

#47 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

I am wrong that the athletes where not near as good in 1943?

No, but you have to view any athlete in the context of the time in which they played... there is no other way to compare. In the time that he played, Sammy Baugh was so far ahead of everyone else that it was absurd. He could have gotten into the HOF by playing any one of the positions he played, but he played several at an elite level.

Jim Brown is probably the next closest in terms of someone that stood apart from the crowd as much as Sammy Baugh did. Like Ruth, the one asterisk next to Baugh is that he played in a period of time when African-Americans were not allowed to participate, so maybe we should say Sammy is the greatest segregation-era player of all time and Brown is the greatest post segregation-era player of all time?

#48 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

rice is the only player who is the undisputed greatest at his position (except adam vinateiri :D) so ill have to go with him

#49 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,869 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

Tom Dempsey kicked a 63-yard field goal with half a kicking-foot. I don't know if that makes him the best ever at his position, but he's pretty high up there on the Man-o-meter.

#50 SCMunnerlyn1

SCMunnerlyn1

The Fuhckening has begun

• HUDDLER
  • 5,536 posts
  • LocationValdosta Georgia

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

i would put T.O at safety .. but hes a horrible reciever

#51 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

Bo...dude would've made a killer OLB

Bo Jackson.........Best athlete I've ever seen.

#52 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,246 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

Dylan

#53 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image

Amen!

Johhny U DEFINED the modern day QB position. In college, he played both ways as well, and had he, like many other players, come along earlier, he no doubt would have played both ways as well. But it's not his fault that was phased out. He was the focus of the other teams defensive preparations. His numbers and legacy for a time in the league's history where offense did not enjoy the advantages it does since his playing days are legendary.

The same thing can be said about Jim Brown. He amassed numbers in 12, then 14, game seasons (as did Unitas). His overall numbers for the number of games and seasons he played in are still unmatched.

Gale Sayers deserves mention because he was elected to the HOF fame with the fewest number of games played by any inductee. It's scary to think of the numbers he might have put up had he stayed healthy, but that can no doubt be said about a number of players as well. His ability with the ball in his hands, whether that be from running with a handoff, catching a pass or pitchout, or taking back a kick was unsurpassed in his day.

Defensively, my nod goes to Ray Nitschke. He anchored a defense that went to 6 World Championship games in 8 years, winning 5 of them, and 3 in a row at that. And I'm not a Packers fan, then or now..

#54 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,065 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

Don't get the Bo votes. He was good for 3 years, but never got over 1,000 yards and was very injury prone. I think it's almost an insult to the greats that have played in the NFL to claim him as the best ever.

#55 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

Don't get the Bo votes. He was good for 3 years, but never got over 1,000 yards and was very injury prone. I think it's almost an insult to the greats that have played in the NFL to claim him as the best ever.

Nothing like having your hip ripped out of it's socket. Oh, and then go on to steal bases playing MLB.

#56 Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,822 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

The first name that comes to my mind… Jim Brown.

#57 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,065 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:02 PM

Nothing like having your hip ripped out of it's socket. Oh, and then go on to steal bases playing MLB.

What he did in MLB has nothing to do with what he did in the NFL

#58 faultlessjoint

faultlessjoint

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

rice is the only player who is the undisputed greatest at his position (except adam vinateiri :D) so ill have to go with him

I would have to go with Rice for this reason as well. He is the only UNDISPUTED best at any position on the field.

Also, surprised there hasn't been more love for defense, Butkus or LT anyone?

#59 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:01 PM

One could argue that Julius Peppers would have made the Pro Bowl at three or four different positions on the field. DE, LB, TE, WR (okay that's a stretch)

#60 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

I don't care that you attached the offense/defense requirement... Payton was the greatest football player ever...

Wrong, again,... Jim Brown....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com