Photo
- - - - -

Ballantyne wants to keep out mixed-income housing. Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#1 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:14 AM

http://www.charlotte...ry/1252531.html

I understand what the city is trying to do. I know that if you keep lumping all the mixed-income and project style housing in the sh*tty parts of town, that most people living in those conditions do not stand a chance to get out and the cycle continues. This is an interesting topic because I am all for giving folks the chance to raise their kids in a safe neighborhood. I think if kids are exposed to the better things in life, it will help them set goals and want to make better for themselves. However, here is my conflict. If a mixed-income neighborhood was planned to be built in my backyard, the first thing I'd worry about is the effect on property values. I'm not sure if I'd fight it and try to block it from being built, but I'd have my concerns. This one in Ballantyne has a section for "very low-income" families:

The original 110-unit plan called for 33 homes to be for "very low income" households making less than $20,000 a year.

I'm sure 99% of the people that will move here have every intention of doing better for their families. But the stigma that comes along with anything labeled "low-income" or "mixed-income" is unavoidable and will have an effect if you ever try to resell your house and get top dollar. Just like having a Wal-Mart next door or high-voltage power lines crossing over your backyard.

How would you handle it if a low-income neighborhood was planned to be built in your back yard?

#2 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

My thoughts on this are:

Do I own the land? No. So it's none of my business.

It may have an impact on my own property values but that is just tough luck and I shouldn't be trying to dictate what happens with privately owned land that happens to be adjacent or near to my own.

If it's publicly owned land then I would feel the need to get involved.

#3 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

Anything bad that can happen to Ballantyne I'm in favor of.

#4 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,112 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:46 AM

Most people live pretty close to lower income stuff whether they know it or not... what makes ballantyne think they're better than everyone else?

#5 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,375 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:51 AM

It certainly makes a difference as to whether things like this directly affect you or not. If it was me personally, I wouldn't like it, but there's not much you can do. Appeal to the city council or board of commissioners I guess... probably won't do much good.

There was a somewhat similar situation here in Wilmington to this and kind of reflects Kral's post... when they tore up Duck Haven Golf Course for the new development, the neighbors of the course went ape poo... they claimed that they had bought their houses because they were "golf course lots" and that they shouldn't be able to re-develop the land... well, those houses weren't a part of a golf course development, they were just next to a golf course... in other words... tough poo.

#6 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,968 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:41 AM

So you all think it is Ok for someone who bought a $1 million dollar home to have low income housing plopped right beside it....thus, lowering their property value by 25-30%?

If you say yes, the only reason you do so is because it happened to someone else.

You guys hate people who have made a success out of their lives. Study hard....invest in college....work hard....make good decisions...have a good job. There is nothing wrong with making a success out of your career and life. People need to take responsibility for what they have and don't have. Too many people now think that those who have are evil and should give it to those who don't want to work hard.

Nothing was handed to me. I worked 3 damn jobs to put myself through school. I studied my ass off to have a good GPA...becuase that is what it took to get a job at the type of companies I wanted to work for. I worked a full time job and went back to school to get my Masters....while having a wife and kids. I earned everything that I have....and I resent people who think I should be ashamed of success.

#7 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,561 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

Amen brother

#8 The Link

The Link

Satire Enthusiast

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

I blame Obama.

#9 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,261 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

It certainly makes a difference as to whether things like this directly affect you or not. If it was me personally, I wouldn't like it, but there's not much you can do. Appeal to the city council or board of commissioners I guess... probably won't do much good.

There was a somewhat similar situation here in Wilmington to this and kind of reflects Kral's post... when they tore up Duck Haven Golf Course for the new development, the neighbors of the course went ape poo... they claimed that they had bought their houses because they were "golf course lots" and that they shouldn't be able to re-develop the land... well, those houses weren't a part of a golf course development, they were just next to a golf course... in other words... tough poo.

Duck Haven.... if those people bought those lots because of that golf course, they were nimrods. I know several of those people that lived, and in some cases still live, on Mallard Dr. and none of them bought because of Duck Haven.And now they have the balls to complain? :D Man I tell you, I couldn't believe that place when I was down over Christmas. I grew up about a mile from Duck Haven. Used to golf and fish there every day as a kid. Didn't know they were doing that in there. Looks like it's going to be nice and filled with over priced housing.

Edited by SouthCakPanther, 17 February 2010 - 12:00 PM.

#10 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,112 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

So you all think it is Ok for someone who bought a $1 million dollar home to have low income housing plopped right beside it....thus, lowering their property value by 25-30%?

If you say yes, the only reason you do so is because it happened to someone else.

You guys hate people who have made a success out of their lives. Study hard....invest in college....work hard....make good decisions...have a good job. There is nothing wrong with making a success out of your career and life. People need to take responsibility for what they have and don't have. Too many people now think that those who have are evil and should give it to those who don't want to work hard.

Nothing was handed to me. I worked 3 damn jobs to put myself through school. I studied my ass off to have a good GPA...becuase that is what it took to get a job at the type of companies I wanted to work for. I worked a full time job and went back to school to get my Masters....while having a wife and kids. I earned everything that I have....and I resent people who think I should be ashamed of success.

I worked hard to get my house too, and I have low income within a couple of miles, probably keeping it's value down somewhat. Why do you think you're more special than everyone else with a job and a house?

#11 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

Congrats.

You still can't dictate what people do with their own property.

#12 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:57 AM

Don't care.

I like some of the restaurants out there but pretty much hate the area, too packed and not enough house for the $$$.

Edited by Cat, 17 February 2010 - 12:03 PM.

#13 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,261 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:58 AM

Very valid point. This is why I think this stuff is so interesting. To force low income housing into a place to help some but hurt the others. I guess it's the same thing as "tax the evil rich" to pay for the poor. I file this kind of thing under entitlement.

#14 Bobby

Bobby

Czar of Czars

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:59 AM

Elizabeth seems to do all right. In fact, it's miles better than Ballantyne because it has actual personality and culture. Ballantyne is a package of template designed homes, botox, pretense, and bullcrap.

#15 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

Very valid point. This is why I think this stuff is so interesting. To force low income housing into a place to help some but hurt the others. I guess it's the same thing as "tax the evil rich" to pay for the poor. I file this kind of thing under entitlement.

It's not a valid point unless you're against private land ownership.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com