Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draft Needs

64 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

But we dont have their old HC.Tyler played both spots.And your right his strength is the run.(never had a sack)...and IDK about Johnsons weight he came into the league at 296 but reports were he was up to 315.I still think we need a DT.

Do you still think we need a NT? Or a DT? I would like a 1 gap penetrator, but I don't think the Panthers will take one.

Posted · Report post

Do you still think we need a NT? Or a DT? I would like a 1 gap penetrator, but I don't think the Panthers will take one.

at this point..IDK what the panthers are thinking.:frown2:

I think we could use more push inside..like Hurney said.I would like a guy like lamarr houston

Posted · Report post

FFS, just because we signed guys doesn't mean they're good enough as starters. Sometimes, all you need to do is look at the stats. We were 23rd in the league in sacks last year, that's already below average. We are now losing our best player on the D-line by any standards. No matter who we replace him with, I'm sure that the new guy won't demand double teams like pep did. If you think that D-line isn't a major need coming into this draft, you're arguing that the likes of Hayden, Johnson and Brown will all step up BIG TIME and be above average starters in the nfl. That is a slippery slope of speculation.

Posted · Report post

i think leonard and tyler are the starters a DT... with irvin as depth. still room to add one or two... but i think the pass rush from DE is most critical. we need to pressure the QB. brown showed flashes but peppers he is not.

You are forgetting about Ed Johnson...Meeks guy who played very well as a rookie.

Posted · Report post

Must get a WR.

Gilyard

(Resign Brayton) Pass Rushing DE

LB depth

QB depth

OL depth

*Draft NO DT*

FA DT only.

Posted · Report post

FFS, just because we signed guys doesn't mean they're good enough as starters. Sometimes, all you need to do is look at the stats. We were 23rd in the league in sacks last year, that's already below average. We are now losing our best player on the D-line by any standards. No matter who we replace him with, I'm sure that the new guy won't demand double teams like pep did. If you think that D-line isn't a major need coming into this draft, you're arguing that the likes of Hayden, Johnson and Brown will all step up BIG TIME and be above average starters in the nfl. That is a slippery slope of speculation.

I am not saying the dline as a whole isn't a major need.. just not DT. DE is a major need and that is where most of the sacks come from..

Posted · Report post

I still dont see how anyone can say DT is not a need

93 Tyler, Tank DT

61 Landri, Derek DT

94 Leonard, Louis DT

Johnson, Ed DT

60 Irvin, Corvey DT

98 Hayden, Nick DT

This is our DT.yeah.I think we need to add a guy.who can give us some pass rush.

Posted · Report post

How many starts are on that list? If don't include Hayden, because I don't think he deserves to be even on our roster, it looks even worse. Not much experience anywhere on our dline. Thats all that worries me.

Posted · Report post

How many starts are on that list? If don't include Hayden, because I don't think he deserves to be even on our roster, it looks even worse. Not much experience anywhere on our dline. Thats all that worries me.

With the departures of defensive tackles Hollis Thomas, and Damione Lewis, the Panthers have six defensive tackles with a total combined four starts…That’s the scary part.

http://catcrave.com/2010/03/06/putting-a-positive-spin-on-a-long-day-in-carolina/

Posted · Report post

Thats probably all Hayden (he played at the end of 08 as well). I could have swore both Tank and Leonard started a full season before. Its actually worse then I thought. We have Meeks though and I still see us signing a couple of vets for 1 year deals.

They did Tyler has 19 starts and Leonard has 5. Hayden has 3 and Johnson has 21 starts. Not nearly as bad 48 starts all together. Not good either but not as bad as 4.

Posted · Report post

chbright, i think you will be dissappointed when we don't take a DT in this years draft. We already have 6 DTs under contract. The signing of Ed Johnson ensured that we do not take one in the draft.. we have too many holes to fill.

Louis Leonard

Tank Tyler

Ed Johnson

Corvey Irvin

Nick Hayden

Derek Landri

i agree with you, i think of those 6 only 4 will actually still be around after training camp, its anyones guess who stays and who goes but i'd feel okay with letting Hayden and Landri go since Irvin was drafted higher if my memory is correct and we gave up picks for Tyler and I think Leonard, so DT is not a pressing need:

DE - say what you will, Brown is Freeney lite we need more pressure off the edge and from who is left they are just solid backups

OLB - if Davis re-signs this need drops

WR - Moose can't out run father time for too much longer, we need a #2 guy that could eventually become that #1 when Smitty's reign is done

OL - losing Gross and Otah, as well as Hangartner to FAgency last season hurt BIG more versatile depth is always needed

QB - It's Moore's time but we need to add talent through draft

S - Godfrey project is almost an epic fail, need to retool

K - its time to hand over the riens to Lloyd or bring in someone new, but the Original Carolina Panther may need to ride off into the sunset now