Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The CBO nails another financial projection

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

From the guys who brought you projected savings of the new health care bill. They give you social security projections. Keep in mind, the ss projectons were MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to project based on the history and employment #'s.

This year, the system will pay out more in benefits than it receives in payroll taxes, an important threshold it was not expected to cross until at least 2016, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

The problem, he said, is that payments have risen more than expected during the downturn, because jobs disappeared and people applied for benefits sooner than they had planned. At the same time, the program’s revenue has fallen sharply, because there are fewer paychecks to tax.

Indeed, the Congressional Budget Office’s projection shows the ravages of the recession easing in the next few years, with small surpluses reappearing briefly in 2014 and 2015.

After that, demographic forces are expected to overtake the fund, as more and more baby boomers leave the work force, stop paying into the program and start collecting their benefits. At that point, outlays will exceed revenue every year, no matter how well the economy performs.

Posted · Report post

The solution is to kill the baby boomers.

Posted · Report post

death panels ftw!

Posted · Report post

Death Panels will take care of that.

Posted · Report post

Death Panel or Beth Daniel?

400px-2009_Solheim_Cup_-_Beth_Daniel_%281%29.jpg

Posted · Report post

Wood Panels? Made of bamboo? Hmm..double win

Posted · Report post

The solution is to kill the baby boomers.

a-MEN.

There's some great people in there, obviously, but otherwise what a horrible generation overall. Bunch of needy, whiny, self-entitled brats.

Posted · Report post

a-MEN.

There's some great people in there, obviously, but otherwise what a horrible generation overall. Bunch of needy, whiny, self-entitled brats.

I thought that was the stigma of the Gen Xer.

Posted · Report post

I never planned to see a dime of SS money, so this isn't as depressing to me as it should be.

Posted · Report post

I thought that was the stigma of the Gen Xer.

They just got it passed down to them once the baby boomers took control.

Posted · Report post

I never planned to see a dime of SS money, so this isn't as depressing to me as it should be.

Oh my first job out of high school in the *cough* 80's I knew then not to bank on SS.

The point is the CBO and "projections". :grouphug:

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Yep.