Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do so many Mock's got us drafting a DT?

45 posts in this topic

Posted

What the average fan doesn't understand is that a 2nd round pick has a small chance to make an significant impact in their first year. Yes, there are players that do that... and I can name several, but especially at the DT position.. it's not likely. Also, I will reiterate what koolkat already said.. rookie's are still untested and unexperienced.. so all of you that are screaming "We Don't Have an Impact Player at DT!", drafting one will not help that matter. You still have an untested and unexperienced player. And a 2nd round draft pick will not be much of an upgrade over what we have now. Many of you will be completely shocked when we don't draft a DT in this draft.. but the facts are simple, we have already used 2 draft picks (in this draft) at the DT position in Louis Leonard and Tank Tyler via trade.. the FO is set at the DT position for next year whether you like it or not (we have 6 DTs on the roster).. DT is one of our least (needed) positions on the team.

The holes on the team are clear.. WR is by far our greatest need and could find an impact player in the 2nd round to compete with Dwayne Jarrett for the #2 role.

Secondly, Hunter Cantwell will be placed back on the practice squad and I can guarantee we will draft a QB with our 3rd or 4th round pick and we will be our 3rd string QB next season. We will pick up a veteran QB after the draft to be our backup. Whether that be Bulger or McCown, etc.. who knows. Defensive End will be our other top 3 pick.. we only have 3 DE's, that is a FAR greater need than DT and it's not even close. We already have our DT rotation set, and we need another DE to finalize our DE rotation.. we obviously can not rotate 3 DEs and be successful.

How do I know this? Because Tyler knows this..

having bodies doesn't make you set......DT has been one of the weakest area of this team since Jenkins left. We don't even know if we have guys on our roster that can act as a band-aid and get is through the season....NONE have proven to be starter material in Carolina.

DT is a weakness. Has been one....still is.

Posted

having bodies doesn't make you set......DT has been one of the weakest area of this team since Jenkins left. We don't even know if we have guys on our roster that can act as a band-aid and get is through the season....NONE have proven to be starter material in Carolina.

it isn't as bad as special teams but it is a big one.

that said, i don't feel horrible about who we have on the roster but i don't think we should at all be satisfied with it or think that in anyway that it is a finished product. WR is still a bigger need, imo, but if a good DT should happen to fall to us and he is the BPA then we need to grab him.

Posted

it isn't as bad as special teams but it is a big one.

that said, i don't feel horrible about who we have on the roster but i don't think we should at all be satisfied with it or think that in anyway that it is a finished product. WR is still a bigger need, imo, but if a good DT should happen to fall to us and he is the BPA then we need to grab him.

yeah, I mean the savior Tank was signed to a one year deal for a reason. We need to draft a DT if one falls to us in the 2nd. Best avaliable at need areas.

Posted

What the average fan doesn't understand is that a 2nd round pick has a small chance to make an significant impact in their first year. Yes, there are players that do that... and I can name several, but especially at the DT position.. it's not likely. Also, I will reiterate what koolkat already said.. rookie's are still untested and unexperienced.. so all of you that are screaming "We Don't Have an Impact Player at DT!", drafting one will not help that matter. You still have an untested and unexperienced player. And a 2nd round draft pick will not be much of an upgrade over what we have now. Many of you will be completely shocked when we don't draft a DT in this draft.. but the facts are simple, we have already used 2 draft picks (in this draft) at the DT position in Louis Leonard and Tank Tyler via trade.. the FO is set at the DT position for next year whether you like it or not (we have 6 DTs on the roster).. DT is one of our least (needed) positions on the team.

The holes on the team are clear.. WR is by far our greatest need and could find an impact player in the 2nd round to compete with Dwayne Jarrett for the #2 role. Secondly, Hunter Cantwell will be placed back on the practice squad and I can guarantee we will draft a QB with our 3rd or 4th round pick and we will be our 3rd string QB next season. We will pick up a veteran QB after the draft to be our backup. Whether that be Bulger or McCown, etc.. who knows. Defensive End will be our other top 3 pick.. we only have 3 DE's, that is a FAR greater need than DT and it's not even close. We already have our DT rotation set, and we need another DE to finalize our DE rotation.. we obviously can not rotate 3 DEs and be successful.

How do I know this? Because Tyler knows this..

how can you say both of those in the same post?:confused:

any wr we get probably wont make a impact this first year.

Posted

I don't think you can get a 1st year impact DT in the 2nd or 3rd round unless alot of Nfl people get dumb. We got to get a vet some how after june 1st cuts.

i beg to differ the jags did last year.and i think he was a 4th rounder if not a 3rd.

Posted

Maybe it's because we need a DT??? We have 5-6 below average DT's on the roster right now.

Posted

how can you say both of those in the same post?:confused:

any wr we get probably wont make a impact this first year.

I don't believe the WR will make a "significant" impact, but I do think that a WR would make the biggest impact of any position we could possibly draft with that pick. Thanks for reading my post with a magnifying glass!

Posted

I agree we don't have any pro-bowl worthy DT's on the team, but my argument is that we have the depth at DT, and no depth at DE.. which automatically gives DE the priority over DT.

Posted

The thing is not everyone agrees on what are our needs. I am among the contingent of folks that feel WR/KR is the primary need. I am not a big fan of taking a QB this year. The reason being this is an extremely deep draft. 4th and 5th round picks have an added chance to be solid to exceptional players. We should not use that pick on a backup QB. Marc Bulger fills two needs backup and veteran mentor. Hunter can continue to be developed as third string.

Many feel we have nearly nothing but warm bodies at DT. Some have fallen in love with players like Linval Joseph and Lamar Houston. I feel we have a solid rotation of young talent in the interior. A three man rotation at DE is not suffucient though. Brown, Brayton and Johnson need some help. I know nothing about Eric Moore.

Our depth at Linebacker is an issue for some. The reason not to use one of our first 3 picks on this is the fact we ALREADY have two third round guys competing for ONE spot. Adding yet another high pick will just add another pick wasted on the BENCH. The main trick to success in the draft is to get your picks on the field not to have high picks on the BENCH AS BACKUPS.

This is also another reason using a pick on DT is not a grand ideal. We have already added Tank with a 5th rounder this year. Louis Leonard was also acquired with a 2010 draft pick. How many picks do we need to use to address the position?

I am also a believer that Jarrett will do well this year. I also think he can take on Moose's role as possession rec. That said Kenny Moore is a 4th receiver at best and we need a legit 3rd receiver that can stretch the field across from Smith. If that draft pick can also return kicks well and average 10-15 more yrds giving Stewart and Williams consistently short fields our offense will be the most explosive it has ever been.

Adding yet another high pick at Linebacker or DT will just likely crowd out an equally talented young guy.

1 person likes this

Posted

mick, I agree 100%. I am glad to see some other people really think about this as in depth as I do.

Posted

Quanity does not equal quality...period. If so, we are 6 deep at WR as well, so why do we need another? We have a second rounder at WR which trumps the 5th and 7th rounder, three-fold, in terms of value we traded for our DTs.

Posted

I agree we don't have any pro-bowl worthy DT's on the team, but my argument is that we have the depth at DT, and no depth at DE.. which automatically gives DE the priority over DT.

No Pro Bowl worthy? We have no guys we know are good enough to even step on the field and be average for a season. Bad depth means nothing....

If you aren't going to have a Peppers type DE....you need some pretty dang good play at the DT spots. And again, with all that depth you are talking about.....we don't even know if we have 2 that can be as good as Kemo/Lewis. We don't even know we have one good enough to start for us. And Kemo/Lewis wouldn't be good enough on a DL w/o a Peppers caliber DE.