Photo
- - - - -

Lafell has won starting job

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

#1 marcopolo

marcopolo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:04 AM

Brandon LaFell-WR- Panthers Aug. 12 - 9:36 am et

According to ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas, the starting job opposite Steve Smith belongs to Brandon LaFell barring a "disastrous preseason."
We've had LaFell pegged for the starting job since he was drafted in April. Kenny Moore has had a solid camp, but he's not NFL starting material. Dwayne Jarrett's standing as the favorite lasted just one day in training camp, and he's now in a dogfight for a roster spot. LaFell is a reach as a late-round flier, but keep him on your watch list for in-season pickups.
Source: ESPN.com
Related: Dwayne Jarrett, Kenneth Moore

#2 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,481 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

Looking forward to seeing what this kid can do.

#3 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 16,183 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

That's quite a big accomplishment considering the learning curve for rookie receivers. Hope he does some big things this year.

#4 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

I'm so jaded by the WRs we've drafted I'm not even going to form an opinion until the guy plays.....for multiple years.

#5 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 16,183 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

I'm so jaded by the WRs we've drafted I'm not even going to form an opinion until the guy plays.....for multiple years.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. But, LaFell stands out physically on tape in terms of size/speed/strength... Colbert and Jarrett didn't to me. So, I guess that's a start.

Only thing that still concerns me is his hands, which I generally don't a make a big deal about b/c I think catching is more about focus and concentration than anything else... But, everyone made a big deal about his hands being small during the draft. And it seems over the last few practices I have read more and more that the defense has gotten INTs off of good throws that went through his hands or that he tipped up.

Oh well, we'll see.

#6 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

keep stirring the pot and the cream will rise

#7 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,447 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

If LaFell can line up in the right spot, he will already have something on Jarrett.

#8 Sword

Sword

Ninja Pirate

• HUDDLER
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

well, at least we know he isn't DJ2.0..considering dwayne couldn't beat out colbert or carter for the starting job when he had that chance...Also, the notion that Fox won't play a rookie even further reduce to myth.

#9 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,270 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

this is a prediction....nothing more. Gantt tweeted the other day Jarrett still has his supporters on the Panther coaching staff. Jarrett probably goes for about 259 yards, 3 TDs tonight. Or maybe he puts up a goose egg. I am confident it will go one of those 2 ways.

#10 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,270 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

well, at least we know he isn't DJ2.0..considering dwayne couldn't beat out colbert or carter for the starting job when he had that chance...Also, the notion that Fox won't play a rookie even further reduce to myth.

we don't know that though. Jarrett looked better than all those guys the past few years in practice. So far, LaFell has simply looked good in practice.

#11 AceMan

AceMan

Huddle Vet

• HUDDLER
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

We'll see during the 1st and 2nd preseason games!

#12 Guest_revriddle_*

Guest_revriddle_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

This is simply not true....according to John Fox...covername (Sam Mills Fan), LaFell is not starting, and anyone who suggests otherwise is an idiot.

#13 HPPantherzfan

HPPantherzfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

we don't know that though. Jarrett looked better than all those guys the past few years in practice. So far, LaFell has simply looked good in practice.

no...just...no

#14 Sword

Sword

Ninja Pirate

• HUDDLER
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

well, we seem to think Jarrett looked good in practice..but I don't remember Steve Smith ever saying anything positive about him like he does of LaFell...he apparently passes the eyeball test for both the coaches and the players..and that's at least a good start.

#15 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,447 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

WR 1- Smitty
WR 2- LaFell
WR 3- Moore
WR 4- Wright
WR 5- take your pick, may or may not be active on game days.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com