Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Israel continues slippery slope to being an Apartheid state

20 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[QUOTE][URL="http://www.miamiherald.com/news/world/AP/story/849351.html"][B]Israel bans Arab parties from coming election[/B][/URL]
By JOSEF FEDERMAN
Associated Press Writer

JERUSALEM -- Israel on Monday banned Arab political parties from running in next month's parliamentary elections, drawing accusations of racism by an Arab lawmaker who said he would challenge the decision in the country's Supreme Court.

The ruling by parliament's Central Election Committee reflected the heightened tensions between Israel's Jewish majority and Arab minority caused by Israel's offensive in the Gaza Strip. Arabs have held a series of demonstrations against the offensive.

Parliament spokesman Giora Pordes said the election committee voted overwhelmingly in favor of the motion, accusing the country's Arab parties of incitement, supporting terrorist groups and refusing to recognize Israel's right to exist. Arab lawmakers have traveled to some of Israel's staunchest enemies, including Lebanon and Syria.[/QUOTE]
only democracy in the middle east lol

Posted · Report post

Hopefully the Israeli supreme court overturns the ruling.

Posted · Report post

So 2002. Thomas Friedman has been banging this drum for several years now.
Ironic Israel could get there though.

Posted · Report post

stop talking about thomas friedman

he's a terrible writer, a mediocre journalist, and almost always wrong in retrospect.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pstall']So 2002. Thomas Friedman has been banging this drum for several years now.
Ironic Israel could get there though.[/quote]

You must understand pstall that you cannot mention anyone that is not on Fizzy's preapproved list of competent journalist. :)

Posted · Report post

the next six months will determine whether or not friedman becomes a good reporter

Posted · Report post

Friedman is not a reporter, he is a columnist. He use to be a reporter, but now he writes op-ed pieces. His job is to write his opinion and provoke thought and discussion. He seems to be good at it.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Fiz']stop talking about thomas friedman

he's a terrible writer, a mediocre journalist, and almost always wrong in retrospect.[/quote]

Your anger is in direct proportion to someone smarter than you. Interesting. :cool:

Anywho, there are a ton of things Friedman has either written about or talked about and from Lord Obama to many others are "using" his ideas.

Go back and read his columns and look at the # of ideas that are being mentioned.

Posted · Report post

This seems to be at least partially the result of a personal disagreement between the head of the election board, and the head of one of the parties. And apparently, this is not the first time they have tried to bar this particular party or parties.

The head of the election board voted to bar these parties, even if he feels that the decision will be overturned by the Israeli version of the Supreme Court.

[URL="http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1231760644913&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull"]Interesting discourse between the two of them.[/URL]

[quote]Balad is a democratic and progressive party and we believe in the basic principle of equality for all people. We would never accept, politically or emotionally, claims that someone else is superior to us just because we're Arabs," Zahalka said. "All we demand is democracy! What are you afraid of when we ask for equality? We are the sons of this country, we were born here and we are willing to treat you with equality, so why don't you? We offer to live together. [Israel Beitenu chairman Avigdor] Lieberman offers to die together."

"We say, any vote given to Kadima is a bullet in the chest of a Palestinian child in Gaza," Tibi told the committee prior to the vote. "Israel's problem is not Balad, not UAL, but the Kadima Party and [Defense Minister and Labor chairman Ehud] Barak. These people started a war as an election campaign. The State of Israel is democratic for Jews and Jewish for its Arab citizens. We never said that we don't recognize the State of Israel. We are part of it, but we will never accept Zionism, which is an ideology that aspires to banish us from our homes."

Before Tibi's harsh words, UAL had not been expected to be disqualified from running. Despite the fact that there had been no plan to bar the party, Tibi's comments managed to upset Labor Secretary-General Eitan Cabel.

Cabel voted to bar Balad, saying that [B]although he knew the High Court of Justice would reverse the committee's decision[/B], Zahalka had offended him and the Israeli public.

Twenty-six of the committee's members - all MKs except for former deputy president of the Supreme Court Justice Eliezer Rivlin, who heads the Central Elections Committee and abstained - voted to disqualify Balad.

Three committee members voted against disqualifying the party, including representatives of Meretz and Meimad. A total of 21 members voted to disqualify UAL, seven voted against (Labor and Meretz representatives) and two abstained.

[B]In 2003, the committee approved a similar request to disqualify Balad from Knesset elections, a decision that the High Court of Justice later reversed[/B].

Rivlin quoted the High Court's 2003 ruling, saying the decision had mandated that there be substantial evidence that a given party supported an enemy's armed fight against Israel in order to disqualify that party from running for the Knesset, not just random and sporadic hostile sentiments expressed by its members.

Attorney Dana Briskman, speaking on behalf of Attorney-General Menahem Mazuz, told the committee prior to the vote that the attorney-general had not found sufficient evidence to disqualify Balad or UAL.

Lieberman, whose party led the move to have these Arab parties disqualified from the elections, responded to the committee's decision by saying, "The next step is to declare Balad illegal because it's a terror organization that seeks to hurt Israel."

Attorney Yoav Manni, who represented Israel Beitenu in the discussion, said that former Balad head Azmi Bishara, who fled the country under suspicion of spying for Hizbullah during the Second Lebanon War, was still consulted regularly by current party members.

Tibi said he would appeal the committee's decision to the High Court of Justice, which is expected to reverse the decision by Friday. Zahalka predicted that this decision would lead to a deeper crisis between the country's Jewish and Arab citizens.

Later Monday, the Elections Committee rejected petitions that sought to disqualify haredi parties Shas and United Torah Judaism from the Knesset elections on the grounds that they ran separate school systems that operated in an undemocratic way and would undermine democracy in the countr
[/quote]

This appears to be more of an internal political squabble done in the heat of anger than a change in the position of the Israeli government. I imagine their court will overturn it this time just as they did last time.

Posted · Report post

my dad was stationed in israel for a year (along with turkey and korea, thanks air force for ruining my childhood!).

he tells a story about the friends he met there, they were native arabs who lived in a little predominately arab community, like a chinatown equivalent in the US.

one day everyone in the community got a phone call to evacuate. weren't told why or for how long, they were just told they had to leave.

they were gone about a month, then told they could go back. when they arrived at their homes they found them flattened. the israeli government tested missiles on them.

Posted · Report post

I'm sure it was all in the cause of FREEDOM! (tm)

Posted · Report post

That is disappointing.
Very disappointing.

I wonder if ethnic/religious minorities have anything remotely resembling privileges in other ME countries. Doubt it.

The whole region is just insane.

Posted · Report post

I wish we as a country could build up a good animosity and constant war with Canada. Damn that would be awesome.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='engine9']I wish we as a country could build up a good animosity and constant war with Canada. Damn that would be awesome.[/quote]

We don't already?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Sigmund the Sea Monster']We don't already?[/quote]

Not the [i]good[/i] kind.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pstall']
Anywho, there are a ton of things Friedman has either written about or talked about and from Lord Obama to many others are "using" his ideas.

Go back and read his columns and look at the # of ideas that are being mentioned.[/quote]
please provide specific examples of what great ideas you think Friedman has come up with, keeping in mind that I will almost certainly be able to find an instance where he has suggested the exact opposite thing, because that's all he does.

I mean I guess he's useful if you just want to get a general sense of the way the winds are blowing the "blogosphere" since he usually just follows their lead. or if you want to be informed in the sense that Time or Newsweek are informative.

except when he's writing books, and [i]the world is flat[/i] is unreadable garbage, not just because it's full of tautologies, but because he has an awful writing style wholly dependent on the reader not thinking too hard about his terrible metaphors. i didn't read hot flat and crowded though from what friends have told me it was a lot of the same.

also remember that time you posted a friedman interview without his name, and instructed us not to think about who was giving the interview? lol even you know he's worthless.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='engine9']I wish we as a country could build up a good animosity and constant war with Canada. Damn that would be awesome.[/quote]

see, this is why we need more third parties.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Epistaxis']That is disappointing.
Very disappointing.

I wonder if ethnic/religious minorities have anything remotely resembling privileges in other ME countries. Doubt it.

The whole region is just insane.[/quote]

Lebanon lets Christians eat desert before they finish their dinner.

/that's pretty sweet.

Posted · Report post

I read in the Times UK that Hamas has instituted elements of the Sharia into Gaza law. Among the laws they enacted was that those that negotiate with non muslims can be crucified. Its in the editorial section, and I couldn't find anything reliable to verify, but its interesting and sad if true.

[URL="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/dominic_lawson/article5489436.ece"]Times UK[/URL]

[quote]Of course, none of these arguments can penetrate the brains of the superannuated Stalinists, vicarious jihadists and attention-seeking actors and pop stars who think it’s cool to go on marches chanting, “We are all Hamas now”. Even if these luvvies might not be aware that on Christmas Eve Hamas legalised crucifixion as a punishment for those who “weaken the spirit of the people”, and have been shooting such political enemies in the head when they find them in hospitals conveniently injured by Israeli bombing raids, they still deserve to be dismissed as useful idiots for a depraved death cult.[/quote]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Fiz']please provide specific examples of what great ideas you think Friedman has come up with, keeping in mind that I will almost certainly be able to find an instance where he has suggested the exact opposite thing, because that's all he does.

I mean I guess he's useful if you just want to get a general sense of the way the winds are blowing the "blogosphere" since he usually just follows their lead. or if you want to be informed in the sense that Time or Newsweek are informative.

except when he's writing books, and [i]the world is flat[/i] is unreadable garbage, not just because it's full of tautologies, but because he has an awful writing style wholly dependent on the reader not thinking too hard about his terrible metaphors. i didn't read hot flat and crowded though from what friends have told me it was a lot of the same.

also remember that time you posted a friedman interview without his name, and instructed us not to think about who was giving the interview? lol even you know he's worthless.[/quote]

Thanks Huddle's version of Bobcat Goldthwait and your intellectual tourette's.

A columnist doesn't relegate themselves to "style". Prose and free flowing grabs people's attention and those pesky Pulitizer's.
Yeah I remember the post. And it's not like you can't take an excerpt and do a search. Come on Good Will.
So when did your disdain for TF spill over into your everyday life? Is this view shaped by Slate or Chris Hitchens or Dowd's or his lack of reference in High Times?
Or because he is Jewish and strongly supports Israel? He calls for two states as well. My money is on his free trade view. Or perhaps his early hawkishness on Iraq.

BTW- one idea he tossed out in 11/07 was a suggestion that Obama get a VP more like Cheney. Biden is Cheney without the carbs and calories in foreign games of RISK. Cheneylite.
Back to your game of Tonk.