capfolly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

Linebackers:

[LIST=1]
[*]

Although I think Jonathan Vilma is a great player and easily the number 2 in the south, I don't agree with Pat that him and Beason are basically 1 and 1A. Beason is a top 2 Middle Linebacker, Vilma is a top 10. That puts him in great company but Beason is in Elite company. I think this is another one of PY dumb reasonings that because the Saints won the Superbowl all their players rise in importance. Beason is Second only to Patrick Willis. Jonathan Vilma has a few guys ahead of him( Ray Lewis, Domico Ryans, David Harris, Londan Fletcher) before he gets to Beason. I think there is enough of a difference between Beason and Vilma that Beason is clearly the number 1 and Vilma is clearly the number 2 in the NFC south.

And even if you take into account Beasons move to the weakside, Pat himself talks about how Beason will have more opportunities to make plays and more tackles at the weakside, further distancing him from Vilma.

Edited by capfolly, 27 August 2010 - 09:35 AM.

#32 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

The problem with any of these lists is that different teams play with different systems which require different talent. Man systems need better atletes than zone systems. So the better question is which unit played better not which cornerback is better. Same thing with DE or Linebacker. Our defense was the only top 10 defense in the division. You can pick other team's players as better but if we do best as a unit, who really cares about individual talent outside of fantasy league stats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com