Photo
- - - - -

I don't think Fox has any intentions of leaving next year

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#46 boo7382

boo7382

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:31 AM

I hear that Bill Cowher has a house in NC somewhere, and kids go to school in NC, and pays taxes in NC, and may be interested in coaching again one day, likely in NC.

I live in NC.

yeah yeah yeah weve heard that here in charlotte ALOT

yes, he lives in charlotte
his daughter goes to nc state im pretty sure
I dont know if he is interested in coaching next year

A friend told me he has been seen speaking with our mgmt about possibilities but I dont really know if thats liable. Ive also heard that he has said he doesnt want to coach anymore and wants to spend more time with his fam, especially after his wife just passed away

#47 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

...If Fox is gone why would the team care about his input on this past draft day? I hope your scenario is right though.

b/c even though guys like me hate on him.....Fox is a pretty dang good coach. He knows a thing or two about football. Why wouldn't you want input on talent?

#48 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

HUDDLER

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

b/c even though guys like me hate on him.....Fox is a pretty dang good coach. He knows a thing or two about football. Why wouldn't you want input on talent?

He's an ok coach who benifited by playing situational odds in games. Hes not innovative, hes not cutting edge, he doesn't develop talent and he's not proactive and he doesn't push the envelope. The fact of the matter is we have had 3 winning seasons out of 8. Thats kind of indicative of being a piss poor judge of talent. Its just Blah.

How could Fox stick with Duhlomme, how could he have thought Dooshawn was worth 5 mil, why would you try to turn Davis into a linebacker and take 5 years to develope him, no viable WR to complement Smitty, why trade Moose at the hight of our team coming together....etc. So no, I dont want his freakin input on talent.

I'm willing to risk losing with someone new rather than doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

#49 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

HUDDLER

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

Where do you have such implicit knowledge from?

There is actually a member of this site who is a personal friend of mine and who has sat with JR in his office at the stadium and, you know, talked with him and Morrison...

#50 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

I don't think Fox wants to leave, he seems pretty comfortable here, has put down roots in Charlotte, etc...

#51 Darth Bobo

Darth Bobo

The Dude

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

Having not read through this thread I will probably repeat stuff lots of other people said.

Fox never makes his intentions known. He takes action, then says: "It is what it is" after the fact. If we're in the business of predicting a certain behavior we shoudl try to predict the behavior of the Big Cat.

During this offseason, Bill Richardson has carefully positioned himself and the Panther's roster (including player contracts and Fox's) to GET NASTY with the player's union in their pursuit of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. He wants the player's union to believe that he has nothing to lose, and when you look at how we've been handling contracts, he can say this with more credibility that just about any other franchise owner.

The new CBA is a ten-ton elephant in the room, and it is easy to jump to conclusions about every little thing that Richardson might do in order to be stearn in the face of a lockout. If Richardson had signed Fox to a contract extension, that would indicate to the player's union that he thought business as usual would continue past this year. Instead, the absense of a contract extension leaves open the possibility that Richardson expects there to be a lockout next year. This allows Richardson some power he might not otherwise have over the player's union.

Richardson likes consistency, he likes the absense of drama, he likes the competitive secrecy, he removes the criminals and miscreants, and he knows he has a North Carolina audience with our temperament and beliefs. Fox is delivers a good product to his owner on all of these levels, but most of all he is a winning coach.

Finally, Fox is likely to receive MANY offers from various franchises across the league next year, because he has earned that respect and admiration. However, none of those bids will be made, until AFTER the new CBA is done.

I expect Fox to do what is best for him, and I expect Richardson to make him a handsome offer. If Fox loves us as much as we love him, then staying put will be a no-brainer. Consider this: having a John Fox who stays by extension, is less compelling that having a John Fox who was given a chance to consider other opportunities but found his competitive heart was still in Carolina. We want the Fox that is in it for the long haul.

Edited by Darth Bobo, 02 September 2010 - 03:16 PM.

#52 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

HUDDLER

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

"Instead, the absense of a contract extension leaves open the possibility that Richardson expects there to be a lockout next year. This allows Richardson some power he might not otherwise have over the player's union."

Jerry Richardson is the leader of the NFL owners and has already made it pretty obvious he prefers a lockout. There's no "expectation" to it- he's large and in charge of the ownership movement in this direction. The entire manner he and the organization have approached this season pretty much says he's all in and committed to a lockout.

#53 Darth Bobo

Darth Bobo

The Dude

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

he prefers a lockout

Aren't you exaggerating, just a little? I don't know any business owners in any industry that believe their business could be run better by shutting the doors for one year, and then coming back.

If there's a lockout, we all lose: owners, players, fans. Ask the fans of any other professional sport.

#54 gmonet

gmonet

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

I made a statement from camp that Fox looked re-vitalized..then...but he's gotten back to his disheveled hair, gum chewing, constant yappin' self onthe sidelines, with a certain OC...asking his perverbial "WTF's goin' on out there?"

You might as well know, if you haven't figgered it out by now, John Fox is deeper into this team than many might think.
You gotta cut, trade, draft? You talk to the Fox and Hurney. You try a 3rd run, or sweep, or option...yep! Fox!!

So if we get to say, 10 or 11...wins...expect that 2011 will have few new faces from 2010 and all the "wounds" will have been partially healed within management.

PS...talk about Cowher not being interested?...time changes everything!

#55 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

HUDDLER

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

Aren't you exaggerating, just a little? I don't know any business owners in any industry that believe their business could be run better by shutting the doors for one year, and then coming back.

If there's a lockout, we all lose: owners, players, fans. Ask the fans of any other professional sport.

Not necessarily. He stands to gain millions of dollars on unpaid salaries, basically his entire salary cap is a single year of savings, in addition to all the coaches salaries who are gone after the year is over. He's already saving money this year after cutting all the big salaries and paying a bunch of new kids very low salaries.

#56 Darth Bobo

Darth Bobo

The Dude

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

basically his entire salary cap is a single year of savings, in addition to all the coaches salaries who are gone after the year is over

I believe that player and coach contracts, independent of the CBA, expire according to the accumulation of time of service, not the number of years from start to finish. In other words, a player or coach contract is simply paused during a lockout period, since there is no service during that time. Once the lockout is over, the owner still must pay through the length of the service.

If my understanding is correct, a 5 year player/coach contract which includes 1 year of lockout, would actually last for 6 years(5 paid + 1 unpaid).

#57 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

HUDDLER

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

I made a statement from camp that Fox looked re-vitalized..then...but he's gotten back to his disheveled hair, gum chewing, constant yappin' self onthe sidelines, with a certain OC...asking his perverbial "WTF's goin' on out there?"

Oh, don't forget the headset controller on his hip that he keeps checking on like its a phaser or something. Whats he looking at? It has a speak/mute button. Seriously.