Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Epicurus on God

58 posts in this topic

Posted

hahahahaha

Posted

It must have been part of the plan.

Posted

evil is as much a part of god as good. these are simply terms that we as short sighted humans use to describe how things affect us directly in our very small, very short lives. we have no perspective which is why we use very blunt, blanket terms like "good" and "evil" when life and god are much more complex conceptually, let alone in reality. To designate something or someone as "good" or "evil" oversimplifies matters and allows categorization where there should be further exploration. simply put, these terms allow for a more palatable world, one where (as people above put it,) everyone falls into a nice clean group.

Posted

You mean like believers and non-believers? Gays and straights? Murderers and pro-lifers?

Do you think organized religion will go for a concept like that? The idea of the world being cast in shades of grey is not a good sign for religious types and Republicans combined.

Posted

You mean like believers and non-believers? Gays and straights? Murderers and pro-lifers?

Do you think organized religion will go for a concept like that? The idea of the world being cast in shades of grey is not a good sign for religious types and Republicans combined.

I'm a Republican and I hate organized religion.

Posted

it's less shades of gray than everything being part of everything else. it's more like matter and energy. there are differences between matter and energy and physically they do not behave the same way but in the end they are simply different phases of the same thing. Shades of gray implies judgment in itself. The world is a cruel place, it is a painful place, but without that pain we would not grow, we would stagnate. Cruelty isn't evil, pain isn't evil, it is necessary and gives us motivation and perspective. Death is necessary for life, every time you eat, something has to die for you to live, these things are not evil, they are necessary.

I have to work. This is too long a conversation for now. I'll get back to it this evening.

Posted

What are people's thoughts on this video (just this clip, not any of the 9/11 crap)? I think it's the most logical explanation I've seen for a lot of the stories of Jesus and the New Testament.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNf-P_5u_Hw[/ame]

Posted

I'm a Republican and I hate organized religion.

In that regard, I was referring to the "America is good and the terrorists are evil" vibe -

Posted

it's less shades of gray than everything being part of everything else. it's more like matter and energy. there are differences between matter and energy and physically they do not behave the same way but in the end they are simply different phases of the same thing. Shades of gray implies judgment in itself. The world is a cruel place, it is a painful place, but without that pain we would not grow, we would stagnate. Cruelty isn't evil, pain isn't evil, it is necessary and gives us motivation and perspective. Death is necessary for life, every time you eat, something has to die for you to live, these things are not evil, they are necessary.

I can agree with that. Doesn't make me think anymore that there is a God somewhere with a Divine Plan.

Posted

Im Agnostic, and really if you want to believe in religion thats fine with me, I have seen many peoples lives be turned around by it...Christianity, Islam, any of the Eastern "isms"

But you must remember that non believers are the giant minority and its like an animal trapped in the corner, they are gonna come out swinging, if your faith was attacked would you not do the same? You may not see people on this board, but it happens every single day in life!

Nobody questioned non-belief. Vice versa.

Posted

It's so much easier to blame God for the world's problems.

Posted

In that regard, I was referring to the "America is good and the terrorists are evil" vibe -

I wish anyone who disagrees with that would leave. And I don't apologize for that attitude.